• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Azimuth adjustment on Atari 410 Casstte player.

VERAULT

Veteran Member
I have a couple Atari 410 cassette decks I am trying to repair. I have already replaced the belts and ordered some rubber rejuvenator for good measure. I cannot get these drives to load 90% of my tapes. I seem to get error 143 most of the time. I want to make sure the azimuth is good, does anyone have the azimuth program on a disk image?

Use it to play a pre-recorded audio cassette through the TV speaker and then adjust the azimuth for the brightest, clearest sound.

Did you ever make any progress on this? My 410 will not load any games giving error 143 most the time, even on games recorded on to new tape. It has no problem saving and loading BASIC programs to/from tape.

Know any hifi guys? Alot of them have wow and flutter machines to tune old audio cassette decks. Pretty sure that would work with the atari, on the tv/audio side for adjustment... or other side, break down and buy a meter if you can get enough drives together to make it cost effective. No clue what they cost.

This isnt a cassette deck. Its a SIO device for Atari serial bus. Its not that straightforward and the reason I havent.. Well cassette usage on these systems is not something I am nostalgic for. The repair I was trying to do was for someone else.

Doesnt it work the same in essence though, esp the audio track? Wouldnt it let you know ballpark where its at? I know nothing bout the atari drives.

Was thinking about it, on audio tapes if the azimuth is off, it warbles in and out. Since there is an audio track, couldnt you just throw in a data cassette that contains audio and adjust it that way till the audio seems to be stable? Or even throw in an audio cassette and make it play, and adjust it that way?

I did notice some warbles on playback. I am going to try one of those cassette adapters to load a game using a laptop to confirm if this is an issue or not.

Back