Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Atari Disk Drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atari Disk Drives

Does anyone know what the differences were between Atari's 810 and 1050 drives and competing drives from companies like Rana?

Were they 100% compatible or did they have alternate higher-density modes?

Thanks,

Erik
    The Vintage Computer and Gaming Marketplace
    The Vintage Computer

Re: Atari Disk Drives

"Erik" wrote in message:

> Does anyone know what the differences were between
    > Atari's 810 and 1050 drives and competing drives from
    > companies like Rana?

> Were they 100% compatible or did they have alternate
    > higher-density modes?

According to my book the Atari 800 & Atari 1200XL had
    support for disk drives (possibly the Atari 810 drive I
    suppose) & only allowed 88.4k per disk. I couldn't image
    a 16bit computer having much use for that. But maybe
    the Atari XE used the same drive as the Atari ST. But I
    cannot be certain.

Cheers.
    Generic and Amstrad CPC based Programs written in Turbo Pascal 3

Comment

810-1050

The only real difference is that the 1050 supported a new mode called enhanced density. Still 40 tracks, but instead of 18 sectors, I think it went to 26 sectors per track.

I don't know about Rana specifically. Some other companies who made drives supported true double density, like the Astra Double D. There were various upgrades for the 1050, most of which gave you double density.

Comment

While packing for my move I spent a bit of extra time bagging my various magazines.

I noticed that issue 17 of Antic (I think) was a "Disk Drive" issue. I didn't have time to research my question, but I will once I've moved and unpacked. . .

Erik
        The Vintage Computer and Gaming Marketplace
        The Vintage Computer

Comment

Tsagoth is right. The differences between the Atari 810 and 1050 (besides the fact that a 1050 is a half-height drive and the 810 is not) was the format. 1050 formats 26 sectors, 810 does 18. That meant 1010 sectors on an "enhanced" density 1050 vs. the 707 on the 810. Each sector =128 bytes. You can get 127K on a ED disk, or 88K on a SD disk.

The only true double sided, double density drive made by Atari was the XF551. And, I stand to be corrected, but I SWEAR that there was/is a conversion kit available for it to go from a 5.25" to a 3.5" disk.

Of all of them, the Indus GT drive (DS/DD) was my favorite. It was the Caddilac of floppy drives for the Atari.

Comment

Oh, yeah... CP/M User: The Atari 8-bits (with the right DOS) can access up to a 16MB disk.

Check out...

http://home.wanadoo.nl/mr.atari/
            and
            http://www.atarimax.com/

I'm not really familiar with Mr. Atari's "My IDE Interface", but I think it can go well over 16MB. I just know that DOS XE, SpartaDOS, and, I think, MYDOS 4.5 can only go up to 16 megs, regardless of which particular Atari computer you are using, with the possible exception of the original 8K RAM 400's. They can too, but they have to have a memory upgrade to even load any version of DOS and have any kind of reasonable memory space left.

Comment

"AtariManiac" wrote in message:

> Oh, yeah... CP/M User: The Atari 8-bits (with
              > the right DOS) can access up to a 16MB disk.

> Check out...

> http://home.wanadoo.nl/mr.atari/
              > and
              > http://www.atarimax.com/

> I'm not really familiar with Mr. Atari's "My IDE
              > Interface", but I think it can go well over 16MB.
              > I just know that DOS XE, SpartaDOS, and, I
              > think, MYDOS 4.5 can only go up to 16 megs,
              > regardless of which particular Atari computer
              > you are using, with the possible exception of
              > the original 8K RAM 400's. They can too, but
              > they have to have a memory upgrade to even
              > load any version of DOS and have any kind of
              > reasonable memory space left.

Strewth, well it just goes to show that an old
              (nearly 20 year old book) can be well & truely
              out of date!

Cheers.

Comment

drives

Hi there,

For the Atari disk drives have alook at the atari FAQ everything is in there + some links to pics or more info...
                More or less the same thing concerning the IDE interfaces...

Romu

Comment

>I'm not really familiar with Mr. Atari's "My IDE Interface", but I think it can >go well over 16MB.

As for info about Atari diskdrives:
                  http://www.faqs.org/faqs/atari-8-bit...ection-20.html

As for the 16MB limit, this is a DOS limit. In those days they never thought about such large volumes, and to maintain compatibility all DOS' do support ''only'' up to 16MB.

Back then, a special version of MyDOS claimed to have 48MB as the limit, but it was never released to the public.

A new DOS is in the make (albeit a while since I received the last beta-update) which is compatible with the Sparta-Dos diskstructure but with virtually no limits, however the limit will now be fixed to 64MB max.

Atari ST diskdrives are not compatible in any way to a standard Atari XL and XE computer. An ST drive is just a bare disk-mechanic (like Amiga/PC) while the floppycontroller is built into the computer, where the XL/XE drives are ''intelligent'' devices and have their own processors.

Several third-party upgrades for the XF551 do exist to attach an extra 720KB 3.5'' mechanic to the diskdrive in addition to the original 360KB 5,25'' one, but one can simply exchange the standard 40 tracks EPROM of an XF551 for an 80 tracks one to support double-sided 720KB disks. When using an EPROM which is twice as big you can easily switch between the ''old'' 40 tracks code and the new 80 tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by Fox-1 / MNX
                    >I'm not really familiar with Mr. Atari's "My IDE Interface", but I think it can >go well over 16MB.

As for info about Atari diskdrives:
                    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/atari-8-bit...ection-20.html

As for the 16MB limit, this is a DOS limit. In those days they never thought about such large volumes, and to maintain compatibility all DOS' do support ''only'' up to 16MB.

Back then, a special version of MyDOS claimed to have 48MB as the limit, but it was never released to the public.

A new DOS is in the make (albeit a while since I received the last beta-update) which is compatible with the Sparta-Dos diskstructure but with virtually no limits, however the limit will now be fixed to 64MB max.

Atari ST diskdrives are not compatible in any way to a standard Atari XL and XE computer. An ST drive is just a bare disk-mechanic (like Amiga/PC) while the floppycontroller is built into the computer, where the XL/XE drives are ''intelligent'' devices and have their own processors.

Several third-party upgrades for the XF551 do exist to attach an extra 720KB 3.5'' mechanic to the diskdrive in addition to the original 360KB 5,25'' one, but one can simply exchange the standard 40 tracks EPROM of an XF551 for an 80 tracks one to support double-sided 720KB disks. When using an EPROM which is twice as big you can easily switch between the ''old'' 40 tracks code and the new 80 tracks.
                    You could technically run an Atari ST disk drive off the XF551 controller board with a ribbon cable. I used to have a pair of SF354 360K Atari ST disk drives hooked to my ATR8000 interface (great box, was a CP/M system that allowed Atari's to use its disk drive, serial and parallel ports and with a terminal software cart or disk you could make your Atari its terminal and run CP/M software on it and save your info in Atari disk format)

Curt
                    Curt Vendel
                    Atari Historian
                    ----------------------
                    The Atari Museum
                    http://www.atarimuseum.com

Comment

"atarimuseum" wrote:

> You could technically run an Atari ST disk drive off the XF551
                      > controller board with a ribbon cable. I used to have a pair
                      > of SF354 360K Atari ST disk drives hooked to my ATR8000
                      > interface (great box, was a CP/M system that allowed Atari's
                      > to use its disk drive, serial and parallel ports and with a terminal
                      > software cart or disk you could make your Atari its terminal
                      > and run CP/M software on it and save your info in Atari disk
                      > format)

I'm guessing that if you really wanted to, you could have CP/M-68 based system running on those machines, otherwise the support for a large quantity of 8bit CP/M programs for an Atari based system would be through emulation program.

The CP/M-68 based system was designed for those 68000 based processing systems though.

Cheers,
                      CP/M User.

Comment

True,

But we were discussing the Atari 8bit line of drives and computers which are 6502 based, the later Atari ST series of computers used CP/M68 and DRI's GEM to create "Jayson" the 68000 version of GEM for Atari known as TOS

Curt
                        Curt Vendel
                        Atari Historian
                        ----------------------
                        The Atari Museum
                        http://www.atarimuseum.com

Comment

"atarimuseum" wrote:

> True,

> But we were discussing the Atari 8bit line of drives and computers which
                          > are 6502 based, the later Atari ST series of computers used CP/M68 and
                          > DRI's GEM to create "Jayson" the 68000 version of GEM for Atari known
                          > as TOS

Oh okay, you'd need a Z80 cartridge, which AFAIK doesn't exist (unless a 3rd party or enthusiest did one). Well I guess if they can do a Z80 card for the BBC series computers to run CP/M, theorically Atari could do it as well.

CP/M User.

Comment

For the record, there was a Z80 card for the C64 too, but I'm not sure how useful it was and whether CP/M was possible to run. Maybe if it would be combined with a much later REU memory expansion..
                            Anders Carlsson

Comment

"carlsson" wrote:

> For the record, there was a Z80 card for the C64 too, but I'm not sure
                              > how useful it was and whether CP/M was possible to run. Maybe if it
                              > would be combined with a much later REU memory expansion..

I was almost going to mention this earlier, though a C64 is an enhanced CPU of the 6502 (6510). Rumor had it that, even though it could run CP/M via a Z80 Cartridge, it's 1 Mhz processor was a touch slow? Or was it the Disk Drive being the drawback? (Possibly both?)

CP/M User.

Comment

Working...
                              X