• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Favorite Atari 2600 Games?

ankurmenon

Banned
What are some of your favorite Atari 2600 games? Some of mine are: Wizard of Wor, Dragonfire, Burgertime, Super Breakout...oh, and both of the Pitfall games. I'm sure I'm forgetting about some.

Pitfall!, Adventure, Moon Patrol, and Battlezone all rank pretty high on the "I can't believe they pulled that off in 4KB/on that hardware!" list. The Galaxian port is also pretty good.

I've always loved the classics, but perhaps they are what I played the most. Combat, Asteroids, Breakout, Missile Command, and my favorite of all Space Invaders. Mountain King was pretty cool too. I was always disappointed in Pac-Man for the 2600.

Jungle hunt was my favorite. Then mario bros. Pole position and pitfall. Didnt have access to too many games. Only the ones my neighbor had.

Some of my favorites (in no particular order):
In terms of graphics, definitely Fatal Run. Makes sense considering the game uses bank-switching to get 32K of ROM, and IIRC is the only 2600 game to do so. It's also a pretty fun game too!
Some of my other favorites include RealSports Volleyball, International Soccer, Frogs and Flies, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and of course the obvious classics like both Pitfall games, Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, etc...
One final mention, Miniature Golf (there goes all of my credibility...) Graphically it's obviously not that great, but there's something I find oddly charming about its gameplay.

Bit of an obvious choice, but Pitfall 2 has some surprisingly complex map design and a fully functional dynamic music system! In addition, Vanguard is a solid port of SNK's arcade game and Fatal Run's a fairly competent Chase HQ-like released incredibly late in the console's lifespan with a large ROM size..

My personal favorites are Laser Blast, Spider Fighter, Pitfall 2, and Vanguard, pretty much in that order.

My absolute favorite 2600 game, and one of my favorites of all time, has to be Adventure. I never had a copy of my own, but I remember spending countless hours at a babysitter's place navigating those mazes and running in panic from the duck-dragons. I would still gladly play it today!

Back