Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Cbm Pet 2001 restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daver2 View Post
    Which capacitors did you change?

Dave
    Daver, i changed C751 and C652 because they were a little swollen and a yellowed...

the screen is enhanced by turning the ring behind the yoke...now must i repair Pet logic board
    because i have always full random charachters on screen...

Can i use your last pettester version on ud8 socket?
    Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by ilpaninaro View Post
      Update:

I re-changed yoke with bad crt s' yoke, i turned yoke s' ring mentioned by Dwight and i changed two capacitors....Screen now seems to be better...only little moved on the left...
      This means the two Yokes you had were not the same, in terms of the amount of width they gave, as you had said they were. Probably the yoke that gives the smaller width image came from a TV set that used a higher than 12V power supply, and this is why it gave the reduced width. So the original Pet yoke is the better one to use.

Comment

The PETTESTE2KV04 EPROM goes into the Editor socket ($E000)
        If 8032 PET then UD7 socket
        If 2001-N then D8 socket

Comment

Update:

I tryied Pettester but doesn't works....i can see only random chars screen.... if i touch some ic ram they are very hot...

Comment

If the ICs are hot this could indicate that the voltage rails are too high. Please measure and report all of the voltage rails.

Have you performed the basic checks before using my PETTESTER?

Check the /RESET, /NMI, /IRQ, SYNC and PHI2 pins of the CPU and see what is going on. I have posted these steps before on numerous VCFED Commodore PET repair threads.

After that, the Kernel ROM (or address decoding) could be dead. You need to use a NOP generator to proceed.

Have you considered purchasing a ROMulator (or similar) to help diagnose your problems?

Dave

Comment

If the ICs are hot this could indicate that the voltage rails are too high. Please measure and report all of the voltage rails.

Have you performed the basic checks before using my PETTESTER?

Check the /RESET, /NMI, /IRQ, SYNC and PHI2 pins of the CPU and see what is going on. I have posted these steps before on numerous VCFED Commodore PET repair threads.

After that, the Kernel ROM (or address decoding) could be dead. You need to use a NOP generator to proceed.

Have you considered purchasing a ROMulator (or similar) to help diagnose your problems?

Dave

I checked voltages on ic rams and i have these measures in every 4108 ram ic:

Pin 1=-4,98 V
              Pin 8=16 V
              Pin 9= 5 V

It's ok?
              Thannks

Comment

No, not OK.

Pin 8 should be +12V relative to pin 16 (0V/GND). Not +16V.

Check the voltage across either C25 or C62 (the DC input voltage to the +12V regulator VR5) and across C24 (the DC voltage from the +12V regulator VR5).

Dave

Comment

No, not OK.

Pin 8 should be +12V relative to pin 16 (0V/GND). Not +16V.

Check the voltage across either C25 or C62 (the DC input voltage to the +12V regulator VR5) and across C24 (the DC voltage from the +12V regulator VR5).

Dave
                  Voltage across C25 and C62 it's 21V

Comment

Also, make sure you are using a circuit ground and not just what you think is a convenient ground. They may be different than you'd think, for a number of reasons.
                    Dwight

Comment

I should mention, for TO3 type regulators, it is not uncommon to see the case not well connected to the circuit through the screws holding it. This is especially true for case where moisture has caused other issues on boards.
                      Connectors also fail.
                      Dwight

Comment

>>> Voltage across C25 and C62 it's 21V

That seems high to me. It should be round about -9V (and negative to boot). Why are you reading a positive voltage?

What about the voltage across C24 I asked for? This is the more important reading !

Dave

Comment

>>> Voltage across C25 and C62 it's 21V

That seems high to me. It should be round about -9V (and negative to boot). Why are you reading a positive voltage?

What about the voltage across C24 I asked for? This is the more important reading !

Dave

Sorry Dave,

C24= -16,2 V
                          C25 and C62= -21V

Comment

Sorry, my bad. I was following the wrong signal on the schematic. Note to self, don't try and do two (2) things at the same time...

Please ignore my previous posts !

Your measured voltages should be positive and not negative. The voltage that is incorrect (across C24) is 16V - it should be 12V. This looks to me as though VR5 is short circuited (or otherwise faulty). As Dwight has already mentioned, if the ground connection to VR5 has been compromised - the voltage regulator will fail to regulate correctly.

The input voltage is still high though (+21V) when compared to what it should be (+16V ish). However, the data sheet for the 7812 voltage regulator indicates that the device should handle this voltage (although it will run warm/hot).

Can you measure the AC voltage between pins 8 and 9 of connector J8 (from the transformer to the main board) please.

It is just possible that with the 12V rail being too high that the DRAM has been destroyed. Brace yourself for this possibility.

Dave

Comment

Also, check out diode CR12 (1N4001) across the voltage regulator VR5. If it has gone short circuit it could be shorting out the voltage regulator!

Dave

Comment

Also, check out diode CR12 (1N4001) across the voltage regulator VR5. If it has gone short circuit it could be shorting out the voltage regulator!

Dave

OK, 17 V AC across pin 8 and 9, tomorrow i ll desold CR12 to test it...
                                Where is VR5?? I see only VR6 on board...
                                Thanks so much!

Comment

Working...
                                X