• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New PET game - Candy Conquer

milasoft

Candy Conquer

This game was written in machine language for the Commodore PET series computer.

There are versions for the Commodore PET 2001, 3032, 3032B, 4016, 4032, and 4032B.

You use the 4 and 6 Keys to move and A to fire. P will pause and U will un-pause. The object of the game is to shoot all of the candy while not running out of bullets. Birds will come down and try to gobble up your bullets.

Based on the arcade game - Carnival.

The level ends when all candy is shot, regardless of if Bonus letters or birds are left on the screen. Shoot B-O-N-U-S in order to top up bullets and receive bonus points.

https://milasoft64.itch.io/candy-conquer

Fun idea! Just tried it out on my PET Model 4016. The keyboard mapping of the 4032B version doesn't seem right. So far I've found:

1 - moves right
! - moves left
* - pauses
U - unpauses
8 - shoots

Haven't figured out how to quit without power cycling the computer so might take a bit to test the other versions to see if another one is more compatible :)

So the 3032 is definitely not compatible with my 4016 — screen goes funny and starts looping around vertically so I powered that down quick! The 2001 version starts fine with the instructions but freezes soon after it draws the first frame of the actual game. Might be all I test since the others look even less promising. I think though I might be able to play the 4032B version once I get used to the controls.

This looks (very roughly) like a "sub hunt" game I did on the PET, back when the earth was still cooling.

At the time, and I don't know how I found it, I discovered a memory address that when you held down a key, it changed. So you could just poll the address to detect when a key was down, and when it came back up, and which key it was (vs INKEY$ in BASIC [Did the PET use INKEY$?]).

I believe I also found a similar value for the SHIFT key, so I would use the first address for the movement keys, and the SHIFT key to fire.

That way you could hold down the LEFT key (whatever I was using), and the SHIFT key, and it would fire a string of torpedoes.

A while back, I fired up a web based PET simulator, but after a bit of dabbling I was not able to find those addresses again.

Do these addresses ring any bells?

Back