• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Stickers for PET keys?

morykwas

As you can see from this picture, the keys on my Commodore PET 2001 are pretty worn. Does anyone know where I might get some new stickers to paste on top of the old ones? (I don't want to replace the keyboard, but it would be nice to see all the keys.) Thanks!

pet-keys.jpg
Yes, it's had a lot of love over the years.

Its strange how the 2001 aluminum labels wear off like that. Either our PET's were in a school and saw a tremendous amount of use... or they were just bad labels.. I am guessing the Latter as most have severe wear.

Its strange how the 2001 aluminum labels wear off like that. Either our PET's were in a school and saw a tremendous amount of use... or they were just bad labels.. I am guessing the Latter as most have severe wear.

They are just painted aluminum and the paint is soft enough to wear off quickly. I believe they had clear clingy protective covers from the factory but those probably peeled off quickly with normal use.
The wear pattern tends to follow the the frequency of use.kbsmall.jpg

ITs true, I still had 2 unpeeled plastic coatings on one of my keyboards I peeled off. I would be inclined to buy new aluminum print covers but the price is a bit too high. I may do it if I sell my second 2001-8 just to spruce it up. I wonder how hard it would be to peel the old ones off? I am guessing a soak in something would be the easiest bet. Just not sure what.

... I wonder how hard it would be to peel the old ones off? I am guessing a soak in something would be the easiest bet. Just not sure what.
I would pull the key-caps off the stems and push the aluminum inlays out from the back side. I could be wrong but I don't think they are solid plastic underneath.

Clear nail polish flakes off over time anyway. I use it as makeshift solder mask on simple repairs. Its fine for most stuff, but when it gets a steady amount of heat it just chips off over time.

They are solid plastic, so that wont work.
I guess I was wrong. Anything that will dissolve the adhesive will probably dissolve the paint too.
Mechanically removing them will probably end up bending them out of shape. I can't think of any non-destructive way of removing them.

Does anyone know of a source for key labels for the business or graphics keyboards for the full-stroke PET keyboards? I have a mechanical board in my mini PET that could use some labels.

Custom printed key caps would be better, of course, but I’ve never seen any.

- Alex

Back