• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vic-20 video issue, a caffeine overindulgence

lowlytech

Experienced Member
Have a VIC20 that I finally got a 9V AC 3 A power adapter for and fired it up to see the condition it is in and it seems to function on a very basic level, but the video display is jittery. I have one cartridge, when installed, looks very courrupted, but booting without the cartridge into basic is very readable. Only other cart I have is a 16K expander, and interestingly when I insert this one, the screen clears up by a large margin and there is no flicker, however you get a noticeable line scrolling down through the screen about every 2 seconds.

Without knowing a whole lot about commodores, the troubleshooting guide from Ray Carlesen leads me to believe maybe UC2 (74LS04)would be a good place to start? I checked the 5 volts at the 6502 and I get 5.1Vdc, however unless I am checking wrong I can't detect 9Vac on the user port and the datasette does not work (no motor action) when the LOAD command is issued. I swapped 6502's without a change, and I have tested the VIA chips and they are good. I don't really have any other parts in my stash to try without placing an order, maybe a 74LS04?

Thanks for any suggestions to help this computer along.

ps. Sorry I couldn't figure out how to post all links in the same post without it saying I was going to loose my original post.

Last edited:
That looks like color ram is having an issue, the system is just getting random values back from the ram. It could be whatever data was previously on the bus, it looks to be pretty consistent in the order of color change.

Sorry I am far from a VIC-20 expert, I do not know which chips to look at. color ram and the buffer in front of it would be my first suspects.

So I assume the video ram is shared with the 5K of onboard? That means I need to start sourcing RAM then or is it a different chip?

So I assume the video ram is shared with the 5K of onboard? That means I need to start sourcing RAM then or is it a different chip?

The VIC-20 has its own color RAM chip, a 2114 chip that should be on the right side of the system ram bank, IIRC

However I would also check UD1 (4066) that's a known cause for wrong colors (not to mention the VIC chip, 6560 or 6561, depending if it's NTSC or PAL).

Last edited:
Ordered some 2114 RAM and a few 4066's. Will report back to see what happens. Fingers crossed it isn't a bad VIC chip. It is NTSC.

Sorry for the late reply. Finally got some time to try after waiting for a month for the 2114 ram chips to arrive overseas. Looks like the RAM chip in UE1 was the fault. Screen looks totally normal now with that chip replaced. Appreciate the suggestions on saving this vic20. Thanks again..

Back