• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

vic-20 PAL with 4.433619 MHz crystal

giobbi

Veteran Member
Hi guys,

I need to buy a crystal for a VIC-20 PAL. It requires a 4.433618 MHz crystal, but I can only find 4.433619 MHz crystals.

Will it work? The difference is so little (just 1 Hz) than maybe it can be ajusted with the trimmers (and possibly there's some tolerance on the same crystal...?)

--Giovi

EDIT: later I found a vendor with a crystal of the right frequency... but still I have the curiosity to know if it should work or not.

Last edited:
I'd say they were probably the same frequency, just with the number rounded differently - the PAL frequency is 4.43361875, so if you only quote to 6 decimal places then it's 4.433618 whereas if you round properly then the ...75 at the end turns the 8 into a 9.

Even if they are different they are well within the natural variation from one crystal to another, and even within the variation one crystal would show at different temperatures, so it will work without having to adjust anything.

I'd say they were probably the same frequency, just with the number rounded differently - the PAL frequency is 4.43361875, so if you only quote to 6 decimal places then it's 4.433618 whereas if you round properly then the ...75 at the end turns the 8 into a 9.

Even if they are different they are well within the natural variation from one crystal to another, and even within the variation one crystal would show at different temperatures, so it will work without having to adjust anything.

Great, thank you! I suspected that, but it's always nice to have some confirmations of your guess LOL

Back