• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PET 2001 adapter board for RGB2HDMI

bitfixer

Veteran Member
Hi all,
I recently made a little board to bring the video signal from a PET to an RGB2HDMI board, using a custom profile on the device. Currently this works on a homebrew protoboard, but will get the pcbs in a few days. It uses a single 74LS02 to combine the vsync and hsync into a composite sync signal, and the RGB2HDMI seems happy with that. It may be possible to use separate sync directly, but in my experiments I was not able to get that working so went down this route. It uses the video signals from the user port. Also currently should work on any 2001 or 2001-N, so far I have not gotten it to work with an 8032, but may be possible.
If anyone is interested in one of these (experimental) boards happy to send one to you. Requires a single 74LS02 dip, edge connector, and some jumpers.

Hi Mike,
I would like to try one of these boards video for my 8032. I might have to play with the 6545 CRT Controller settings to get NTSC compatible timing similar to the 2001 PET. I'll send mailing info on you on private message.
Thanks.
- dave_m

If you are still offering, I would be willing to test on my 4032 model, it is a 12" screen so I am not sure if that will have an effect on your board either.

Mike,
I was able to get RGB2HDMI working with my CRTC and non CRTC PETs this evening.
Only needed to make a cable from the user port to the RGB2HDMI.

I had trouble getting it to sync at first, until I figured out the the documentation I had for the user port was wrong.
Checked it with a scope and H and V sync were backwards. When I swapped the wires, it started working perfectly.
I set up three profiles. One for non-CRTC 9" screens which run at very close to NTSC frequency. One for 40 column CRTC and one for 80 col CRTC.
Sync polarity is different between CRTC and non CRTC but on all my PETs, user port pin 9 is vertical and pin 10 is horizontal.

I think I'm missing something with my 80 col profile because the 40 column modes look great but the 80 column looks awful.
I can see all 80 columns and 25 rows but the pixels are misaligned. Needs more tweaking.

Back