• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The price of Commodore PETs

WaveyDipole

Experienced Member
I have an old Tek 4051 computer that I was able to repair and get back to working order. I am currently using for it developing a particular project. The repair has actually cost me around 250GBP including replacement parts and a 6 hour round trip to London to pick it up.

I was also thinking about buying a Commodore PET, but the prices on eBay have taken me by surprise. Current listings start at just under 500GPB and that may be a broken one, are typically around the 800-1k mark and can be as much as almost 4k! I expect the almost 1k and upwards are "collectors prices", however even the low end seems relatively expensive. For example, last night there was a spares/repairs SuperPet 9000 on eBay. The seller pointed out that it had gone bang but it would have been an ideal repair project and a having done some research is appears it is a little unusual in that it has two different processors and would have been an ideal machine for a programming hobbyist. I had spotted it at 200GBP with 3 hours to go and decided on a budget up to 350GBP and felt reasonably confident. As it happens, it shot up to 425GBP about an hour before the auction was due to end due to a bidding war between two bidders. I did not expect this last hour hike but it eventually sold for over 500GPB. I seriously considered increasing my bid but was hesitant as to its worth bearing in mind that it is in an unknown state and needing repair which is always something of a gamble. There was also a lengthy trip to go and pick it up. In addition, with bidding wars things can get carried away so was it really worth that much? In the end I decided to drop out and not to go beyond my budget. That is just one example, but not the only recent one.

I am curious though as to why Commodore PETs seem to go for so much more than a lot of other vintage computers and whether my budget is unrealistic. On the other hand I am not THAT desperate to own a PET that I would pay upward of 500GBP for one! At the end of the day its basically a 6502 machine with a monitor and I am not a collector, just a hobbyist that likes repairing and experimenting.

Last edited:
A SuperPet is a rare bird so it’s probably a *slightly* atypical example to use when talking about unreasonable pricing but, yeah, PETs in general seem to have gotten a little spendy lately. The early ones with the “chiclet” keyboard and built-in tape drives ran on the expensive side even a decade ago but a plain 2000-n or 40xx model used to be pretty reasonable unless they were in mint shape or included accessories.

Looking at recent sales on eBay.uk there were units that would have fit your 350GBP budget, like a 2001-n-32k that at least gets to BASIC that went for a 295GBP buy-it-now, that transacted in the last month, so I would say biding your time is the right strategy.

Keep looking - something will turn up!

PETs are quite common in the UK - but do suffer from the silly prices people are seeing them go for on ePay.

SuperPETs are very rare in the UK and (generally) command a premium price. There has been one for sale on ePay for a long while (at a few k) and shows no signs of selling.

A SuperPET is a very nice machine - but it was a 1 or 2 (depending upon version) add-on board to an 8032. It also had a modified character generator to support the APL character set (along with bespoke keycaps including the APL set) and some additional switches. They were very popular with Universities in Canada - so if you want one, a Canadian import is the best bet. They did have a 'protection dongle' in the form of a 6702 chip. If that is not present (either faulty or the little plug-in daughter card is missing) the machine itself was as much use as a chocolate teapot! However, some bright sparks(...), reverse engineered the 6702 (from the silicon) so that the emulation could be added to VICE - and also removed the protection from the Waterloo Language Disks (in the interests of legitimate owners being able to continue to use their machines should the 6702 device itself fail).

I suspect the reason PETs are so popular is the age range of people with disposable income wanting to rekindle their use at school, college or university? I always wanted one when I was young - but could never afford one. Now I can, I have one! I am sure there are many people in the same situation.

Dave

Sounds like that SuperPet 9000 might have been worth putting that 550-600GBP on. From the photos there were two boards stacked on top of the main board and there was a small board plugged into the topmost board. The photo shows the rear view of that small board but from the two pairs of rows it looks like it has two ICs on board. No idea whether it was in working order though as the seller said the machine went bang. Possibly a PSU issue and might have been an easy repair but still seems a pretty big gamble though! I was not aware of that daughter-board and might have ended up with a doorstop had it been missing!

Last edited:
Same here. My 2001-8 was $350 locally at an antique shop. :)

Now mind you that price is steep but I don't think I have ever seen a PET of any variety and locale ever sell or be tagged for under $100.

I suspect the reason PETs are so popular is the age range of people with disposable income wanting to rekindle their use at school, college or university? I always wanted one when I was young - but could never afford one. Now I can, I have one! I am sure there are many people in the same situation.

I wouldn't discount that at least some of the interest in PETs in particular is they do have a very iconic look, enough so that they're showing up in the backgrounds of movies and television shows quite regularly. I'm sure plenty of the buyers were too young to have one as a kid but know it as that thing on the shelf in "The IT Crowd".

Looking at the shelves in the IT crowd is like a wheres Waldo book. You always find something new.
And $350 for a 2001-8 isnt a bad price. I paid $299.00 for my first 2001-8 in non-working condition.

I paid nothing for my Commodore PETs, but that was 10 years ago and a pretty unusual set of circumstances. And I did spend a lot of blood, sweat, and tears repairing them.

And you wouldn't want to lose any of your precious bodily fluids.

The manual for my blue-label PET 2001 is autographed by Jack and Leonard Tramiel, so there. I do have a 2001-16 in storage. It works fine. Need to test the 8096, though.

My first PET is a blue label. I will never sell it.

The blue label variant is one of, if not the most desirable to collectors because of it's iconic look and because that label was only produced for about two months in Jan & Feb of '78, there are relatively few of them in circulation, which is why they are usually priced so high.

I managed to get all of mine for under $400(ea), with the exception of the restoration cost for that -32N on the right. Painting and parts put me well over $500.
Prices in general have been going up over the last two years for sure, but the Blue Label and the Super Pet were always high to start with.
I don't think the pricing is from speculation, just an increased interest from collectors which is increasing demand and reducing supply.

I can't bring myself to spend over $1K for a Blue Label or a Super Pet, so this is my collection, for now.

IMG_7254(caption).jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7254(caption).jpg Views:	0 Size:	171.0 KB ID:	1225129

Last edited:
I hear you Hutch. Im even more than that into my blue label 2001-8. Im only abou $175 into my black 2001-8 since I got it for $50.
Shoot, with 8050 floppy drive and networks rs-232 unit im about $600 or $675 into my blue label... maybe more as I bought a iee-488 SD emulator..

To think I passed up an original PET 2001 (with chiclet keyboard) on the shelf of a Thrift store for $20 in 1998 (same as the first PET I ever used in school in 1979). Then later (early 2000s) I acquired two PET 2001s (full keyboards) and kept them for a while, but as this was before the community really took off on the internet, I had no easy source of software and gave one away and sold the other (again regrets). Just a few years ago, though, I did find a SuperPET which needed some TLC. Bought it for $150CAD and fixed it with the help of the members on this forum. Bought an SD card storage device for it (another $75US), and an era-appropriate black datasette ($10US).

I now appreciate that I need to hold onto this one!

Last edited:
A superpet gives you bragging rights. I am glad to have two chiclet PET 2001-8's but a SuperPET. Heck I never even seen one so probably a better find.

Back