• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Data 20 Corp. "Video Pak 80"

gsteemso

Experienced Member
I recently acquired one of these 80 column video cartridges in a box marked "16K Video Pak". Original? Danged if I can tell. Unfortunately it didn't come with a manual. Research online indicates there were a whole series of these cartridges, the earlier ones of which appear to have been for VIC-20s and the later ones of which included a combined CP/M and 80 column card for the C64.

Some of those had separate power supplies, some did not. All the research I did is now blurring together in my head, so I don't recall for certain, but I think at least one of them included BASIC 4.0 ROMs.

My specimen has two DIN-5 sockets and what looks like an RCA jack, not a one of which is labelled, and the board and all the chips are dated 1982. There appear to be two ROMs at opposite ends of the board, though I can't swear to it. For all I know there might not be any and I'm just misreading the labels.

Does anyone know more about this beast?

G.

While I don't have any personal experience, perhaps one DIN is input from the computer's video card and the other is a combined output? There is a Wiki entry here, although yet very brief. A couple of other Denial members own these kinds of cartridges so as many people together you may find out more or someone even owns a kind of manual.

http://sleepingelephant.com/denial/wiki/index.php?title=40_and_80_column_boards

The only 80 column thing I had for the C-64 was a piece of software which squished over the font. It works, but the font isn't very nice to read.

Back