Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

C2n232

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cbmlink

Originally posted by MikeS View Post
    4001??? I thought it was for an 8032? In which case I wouldn't mind a copy...
    Mike, the callout 'pet4001' causes cbmlink to use an 'include subdirectory' in the make file that contains the 40XX and 80XX PET families as I understand it (I'm no expert on this stuff).
    -Dave
    cbmlink software

Comment

Originally posted by dave_m View Post
      Mike, the callout 'pet4001' causes cbmlink to use an 'include subdirectory' in the make file that contains the 40XX and 80XX PET families as I understand it (I'm no expert on this stuff).
      I was all wrong there. The pet4001, pc64 designations were too simply help one find the right place in the directory tree to find the correct server side program (PET prg file).

After messing around with the bcc compiler which can target DOS com files, I had to give up. Without having a Windows equivalent to the unix 'make' command, I could not use the makefile.DOS properly.

However I found a Win32 executable in the archives (cbmlink.exe), so now my plan will be to add a PCI parallel port to my XP machine and run cbmlink from there. This is not as handy as the two machines are not in the same room, but it should work.

Comment

I've looked at CBMlink a few times and given up in frustration every time; there's mention of a DOS binary in several places but I've never found one.

When I read "it is assumed that anyone using DOS would use Linux if he could" I knew this was going to be way more complicated than it needs to be...

Guess I'm spoiled by the straightforward transfer routines for my other machines.

mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS View Post
          When I read "it is assumed that anyone using DOS would use Linux if he could" I knew this was going to be way more complicated than it needs to be...
          Yes, I was puzzled by that statement also. But after hours trying to compile cbmlink using bcc and a large array in input c files, I now understand that the author was gently telling us that you will need to have a machine running linux and a full set of compiler tools to correctly generate the file.

As to why he just didn’t include 'cbmlink.com' in his archive, I’m guessing that unix gurus think that software is so much fun that he didn’t want to cheat the rest of us from having the pleasure of compiling our own executable.

Personally, I would rather have just grabbed the executable and proceeded with my main project of transferring some PET software.
          -Dave

Comment

Originally posted by dave_m View Post
            Yes, I was puzzled by that statement also. But after hours trying to compile cbmlink using bcc and a large array in input c files, I now understand that the author was gently telling us that you will need to have a machine running linux and a full set of compiler tools to correctly generate the file.

As to why he just didn’t include 'cbmlink.com' in his archive, I’m guessing that unix gurus think that software is so much fun that he didn’t want to cheat the rest of us from having the pleasure of compiling our own executable.

Personally, I would rather have just grabbed the executable and proceeded with my main project of transferring some PET software.
            -Dave
            Don't get me started on these folks who insist that just plugging in a tool to do a job is not 'real' computing, and that everyone needs to know how to compile from source, where to find the tools and sift through the many revisions etc., and finally be able to figure out why it won't compile which is usually the case...

Comment

Some user notes on cbmlink

OK, with the windows version of cbmlink, I got it to communicate successfully with my PET using the pc64 cable between the PET User Port and the parallel port of the PC. The instructions were a bit incomplete but one can fill in the gaps easily enough. The author is Finnish so it is understandable that writing a ‘bullet proof’ technical instruction in English might be fairly difficult. But his code is great.

Here are my notes on using cbmlink on a PC running Windows 98 and a PET 8032. Perhaps this will be useful as a supplement to the author’s instructions. See link below for authors' instructions.

cbmlink release notes for parallel cables

There is a neat way provided to transfer the server software into the PET. One types-in a short loader in BASIC. When run, it waits patiently for a load command on the user port. On the PC, in a DOS window, one changes to the subdirectory where the cbmlink program (cmblink.exe) and the files to be transferred are located, and enters the command line:
              cbmlink –c pc64 0x378 –l plain.prg

This is for the pc64 cable protocol, and the LPT1 port and the proper server program to be loaded for your computer/configuration from the cbmlink-cbmprg.zip file. The instructions say that you can use port numbers like 0,1,2 or 3 but this did not work for me. The instruction also had an example of 0x3bc for LPT1 but that may be a typo. Perhaps they are for Windows XP.

Every once in a while I can get an error after executing a command that says something like no such protocol as pc45 even though I entered pc64. No matter. Just repeat the command.

This first server program is fixed to run at memory location $7C00. It is started with a sys 31744. Then one can transfer the re-locatable version if wanted from the cbmlink-cbmbasic.zip file. I needed that version as I will be transferring machine language code that will reside in the $7000 block of RAM, so I transferred the re-locatable one next. It then says to perform a SAVE of the transferred file. But it will not save correctly in BASIC. I had to go to the Machine Language Monitor (sys 1024) and determine the size of the ML program and perform the save there:

.s ”name”, 01,0401,0930 to save the re-locatable server on cassette.
              .s “name1”,01,7C00,7D9F to save the fixed address server on casstte.

Another issue with the re-locatable version was that after you load it but before you run it, you are to change the second line of the BASIC portion of the program to point to the desired starting address. But the instructions are somewhat vague about telling you to delete the default second line that is there. If you do not, when run, the program hits a 00H ‘break instruction’ and lands in the monitor program.

A few times when it was run, the server software would immediately hang the PET. But it always seems to work the next time after a hard reset or power cycle. Nothing’s perfect in life.

One other thing that is important to remember is that just before or after the server is installed, say at $7C00, one must reset the top of BASIC so that the server code will not be stepped on later on if other programs are to be run. This is done in BASIC 4 with:
              POKE 53, 124 : POKE 52,0 : new : REM sets top of BASIC to $7C00

The last thing to remember is that the addresses used in cbmlink default to decimal. So to SAVE a ML program located at $7000 to $7FFF in the PET, one uses the command:
              cbmlink –c pc64 0x378 –s,28672,32768 name.prg
              Or you can explicitly reference hex:
              cbmlink –c pc64 0x378 –s,0x7000,0x8000 name.prg

I transferred several 4K test files with test patterns to see if the data arrived correctly and it seems fine. Overall, it looks like a very good way to transfer files between the PET and a PC.
              Last edited by dave_m; October 13, 2009, 10:50 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

Thanks for reporting Dave. That's useful stuff.

Tez
                ------------------------------------------------
                My vintage collection: https://classic-computers.org.nz/collection/
                My vintage activities blog: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/
                Twitter: @classiccomputNZ ; YouTube Videos: (click here)

Comment

Nice write-up, Dave.

Which version of Windows did you use? I remember that at least in XP you can't normally address the parallel port directly from userspace. I'm not sure this is an issue for cbmlink, but there are tools to "fix" this if it is.

I don't remember the type-in program being all that short when I last tried it. There are some programs which can supposedly translate BASIC code in ASCII into a .PRG, but I never got any of them to work. However, copy-pasting the code into VICE does work! I saved the result to a virtual tape and used audiotap to make a real one which loaded perfectly on my PET.
                  Steve Maddison
                  Digital, Sinclair, Commodore, homebrew Z80 and other stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by cosam View Post
                    Which version of Windows did you use? I remember that at least in XP you can't normally address the parallel port directly from userspace. I'm not sure this is an issue for cbmlink, but there are tools to "fix" this if it is.
                    Very good point. I used Windows98 on an old computer. I'll update the writeup to mention it.

Originally posted by cosam View Post
                    However, copy-pasting the code into VICE does work! I saved the result to a virtual tape and used audiotap to make a real one which loaded perfectly on my PET.
                    Nice, very clever.
                    -Dave

Comment

Who is this fellow with the assembled C2N232s?

Hello all,

I was hoping Anders would post contact information or some such for that guy he mentioned (on page one of this thread) who had preassembled C2N232 units. Does anyone know if he still has any available? I’d _really_ like one, but I have no means of soldering very small connections, so I can’t assemble one myself.

G.
                      the world’s only gsteemso
                      agitator-in-chief for the Seattle Retro-Computing Society

Comment

Sorry, I have forgotten. Anyway the person I was going to contact will only sell the adapter in kit form. You would need to do the SMD soldering yourself, or find someone to do it for you. This is due to relatively new laws/regulations within the European Union which makes it very hard and expensive for someone to sell ready-made electronics devices. Kits you assemble yourself does not (yet) fall under the same regulations.
                        Anders Carlsson

Comment

Where can I buy a C2N232 adapter?

Hi. Where can I buy a C2N232 adapter?

Comment

Oh.. time flies and I still haven't asked. Upon a closer look, the C2N232I is mentioned on his own homepage so I could just as well post a link to Nicolas page:
                            http://www.x1541.de/

Please note those adapters most likely would be sold in kit form and require SMD abilities to be assembled. Possibly there is someone elsewhere who would be willing to assemble a number of those, but I don't know.
                            Anders Carlsson

Comment

Originally posted by carlsson View Post
                              This is due to relatively new laws/regulations within the European Union which makes it very hard and expensive for someone to sell ready-made electronics devices. Kits you assemble yourself does not (yet) fall under the same regulations.
                              Anders,
                              Is this due to the very strict regulations/certifications about using lead free solder in electronics? Or is there some other reason like product safety, etc?
                              -Dave

Comment

I think it all boils down to that the manufacturer is required to pay for and handle recycled products. You need to apply for a license which may even cost a lot of money to be a qualified producer and seller of electronics, but I haven't studied it further in detail.
                                Anders Carlsson

Comment

Working...
                                X