• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Does anyone have a CBM 4022 printer manual?

gsteemso

Experienced Member
I’ve been looking everywhere for a “Commodore 4022 Tractor Printer” manual. This is for the PET-compatible printer that succeeded the 3022 model. I found the website of a vintage-radio restorer who has a copy of the service manual for sale at three times what I paid for the actual printer, but it seems like the user’s manual (the one with the command reference) has been lost to history. I’m hoping for an electronic copy as there’s no postage that way, but I’ll take whatever is available. If I end up with a paper copy I’ll try to get it scanned for posterity.

Thanks in advance,
G.

Well, I have a 4023 printer and manual, but I don't know if, or what, the differences are other than cosmetic. If it will help I can try digging it out.

Steve

I didn’t even know there WAS a 4023!

I didn’t even know there WAS a 4023!

If excavating it wouldn’t be too onerous an undertaking, the 4023 manual might provide some clue as to its own applicability to a 4022. Could you please try to find that?

Ok, I found the manual... it was in a box underneath 2 others, so that wasn't too much ;-)

I have extracted the basic info here...

IEEE device = 4
8x8 dot font
80, 40 and 20 columns
programmable line spacing

hold paper-feed button when turning on to do printhead test

Use secondary address to control formatting: open lfn,4,sa

Where sa is:
0=print as received
1=use defined format
2=store formatting data
3=set number of lines per page
4=enable diagnostic messages
5=define a programmable character
6=set spacing between lines
7=upper/lower case
8=ascii / graphics
9=supress diagnostics
10=reset printer

Special Codes:

example: print chr$(code);

1 = enhance (expand chr width)
129=unenhance
147=paging on / reset
19=paging off
18=reverse on
146=reverse off
13=carriage return with linefeed
141=carriage return without linefeed
10=linefeed
145=uppercase
17=lowercase
29=skip space
34=quote

There are additional examples of how some of the above work.
I hope that helps. I could not find any info on compatibility with other printers.

Steve

One nice thing about these...hold down the ready/online key or whatever it is called, and when you power on, and it'll print a test page for you. I love the 8023 dotmatrix printer, I assume the 4023 is the 4000 series equivalent?

One nice thing about these...hold down the ready/online key or whatever it is called, and when you power on, and it'll print a test page for you. I love the 8023 dotmatrix printer, I assume the 4023 is the 4000 series equivalent?

It's paperfeed as noted in my message above. The 4023 served my B128 very well as a printer for invoices in the family business.

Steve

Turns out there was a scanned version of the 4022 manual on Bombjack. Darned if I know why Google didn’t know about it. The 4022 seems pretty similar to what you describe, except it only has a 6x7 print head. Figures I’d get the less capable one. :¬)

For the record, I have manuals for the following IEEE Commodore printers 6400, 8023P, and 8300P, and probably the 2023 but it's elsewhere at the moment.
Bill

Back