Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Suitable EPROM replacement for DOS ROMs in 2040 disk drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suitable EPROM replacement for DOS ROMs in 2040 disk drive?

Trying to be optimistic about my prospects for getting a PET working someday...

I've been looking at the disk drives I picked up from the Albany Computer Services warehouse dump. I have two of the big dual-chassis drives, an 8050 and a 2040 that has a sticker on it that says "Updated to 2.0" (And then the 2.0 is scratched out and "2.1" is written underneath it.) The 8050 appears to pass diagnostics. (I won't know any more than that until I can get a working machine to drive it with.) The 2040, however, goes into a loop where it blinks all its LEDs three times, pauses, repeats.

According to the Commodore 8050 service manual (I can't seem to find a 2040/4040 specific flash decoder) three blinks means a bad DOS ROM. So, two questions:

1: Since I can't seem to find the 2040 blink codes, does anyone know which ROM three blinks translates to? (The 8050 appears to use 8k ROMs while the 2040 is 4k.) I'd love to not have to burn replacements for all three because of question #2.

2: Is there an EPROM that's a close-to-drop-in replacement for the ROMs in the 2040? I did find this thread:

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcfo...88-drive/page3

And if I'm interpreting it at all correctly unlike a PET's 4k ROMs I can't simply drop in a 2532 because pin 21 is a TTL chip select line instead of being tied to 5+ volts? There's also mention of a speed-related issue. (I believe the 2532s I have access to are 450ns.) My *guess* is that my best bet is to make adapters for 2732s like these:

http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarls...OM/2732sub.gif

But I'm wondering if anyone has better ideas. (Of course, with my luck it's not going to be a bad ROM at all...)

Thanks.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs Also: Blogspot

According to a somewhat random assemblage of notes on IEEE drives I found online somewhere, 3 flashes on a 2040 or 4040 means the ROM at position L1 on the board, which should have one of the numbers 901468-06, 901468-12, or 901468-15.
    Last edited by gsteemso; June 4, 2011, 04:47 PM. Reason: Misread the error chart
    the world’s only gsteemso
    agitator-in-chief for the Seattle Retro-Computing Society

Comment

Originally posted by gsteemso View Post
      According to a somewhat random assemblage of notes on IEEE drives I found online somewhere, 3 flashes on a 2040 or 4040 means the ROM at position L1 on the board, which should have one of the numbers 901468-06, 901468-12, or 901468-15.
      Thanks. I'll try burning the EPROM for that position and making an adapter out of a set of sockets.

(This particular drive has the what appears to be the "latest" DOS ROMs, the 901468-14, 901468-15, 901468-16 "Revised" set, which must be why someone wrote "upgraded to DOS 2.1" on it. The parts list on Zimmers shows two possible part numbers for the RIOT chip in UK3, a "DOS 1" and a "DOS 2" version. This drive has the 901466-04 "DOS 2" part, which hopefully is correct one.)
      My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs Also: Blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
        (This particular drive has the what appears to be the "latest" DOS ROMs, the 901468-14, 901468-15, 901468-16 "Revised" set, which must be why someone wrote "upgraded to DOS 2.1" on it. The parts list on Zimmers shows two possible part numbers for the RIOT chip in UK3, a "DOS 1" and a "DOS 2" version. This drive has the 901466-04 "DOS 2" part, which hopefully is correct one.)

This set of firmware turns your 2040 drive into a 4040 drive that is compatible with the latest versions of PET BASIC and is 'read compatible' with the C64 1541 drive which is nice as they are readily available and are fairly easy to interface with a PC.

Also the 2040 did not automatically perform an 'Initialize' before every disk access to update the BAM. So when users slipped in a new diskette and saved a file without remembering to initialize the drive, the diskette could become corrupted.

Comment

Is there an EPROM that's a close-to-drop-in replacement for the ROMs in the 2040?
          Ah, there is a long story there. The 2532 should have been compatible, but some sloppy design by Commodore prevented it.

Now the best way to would be to make an adapter to convert into the pinouts of a 2732 fit the pin outs of a 2332. In theory a 450 nS EPROM should barely work, but I would use a 250 nS version for reasons explained below.

Note that this 2332 has a positive chip enable at pin 21, and the signal going there is Phase 2 clock (1 MHz). This is done because the data bus is shared with another CPU during the opposite phase of the clock. That means since pin 18 of the 2732 is /CE, that a jumper will be needed from /Phase2 (Phase 2 NOT) on the 2040 board to pin 18 of the 2732, and that pin 21 of the original 2332 socket should not connect to the adapter. The other normal jumpers to make a 2732 interface with a 2332 would be needed.

If this was too confusing, I can gin up a sketch.
          -Dave
          Last edited by dave_m; June 6, 2011, 11:48 AM. Reason: correction

Comment

Originally posted by dave_m View Post
            If this was too confusing, I can gin up a sketch.
            A sketch would be good, if it's not too much of a hassle. (Including a suggestion as to the best place to tap the phase 2 signal, if not from the ROM socket?)

I did already buy a 2732 to use as a replacement EDIT ROM should one of my dead PETs have needed it, suppose I should make sure it's fast enough.

Many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by dave_m
              ...I hope someone checks this diagram before a board is modified. MikeS where are you?
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]6023[/ATTACH]
              Away for the weekend

Looks good to me; as a matter of fact I just got involved in the positive-true CS issue with Jim Brain, albeit in an 8050; a customer was trying unsuccessfully to use one of his 2364<>2764 adapters to replace one of the 8050 ROMs, and Jim was asking what the problem could be.

The only issue might be timing; it looks like UA1 is only there to delay clock phase 2, so UA1-2 would be a little earlier. If I get a chance I could open up my 4040 and try replacing one of the ROMS with a 2732.

Comment

Originally posted by dave_m
                For pin 18 of the 2732, I called out a jumper to 'Phase 1' from the 6502 because my board does not match the board on Zimmers and I have no UA1. If you have a UA1, you can substitute UA1-2 rather than pin 37 of the 6502 chip.
                Fun. I'm wondering if it might be worth investing in one of those little micro clips so I can try pinning a jumper wire to various places before deciding whether to solder it down. When I get a chance I'll take a look at my board and see how closely it does or doesn't match the Zimmer documentation.

I *really* need to get a PET working so I can dig into these drives properly. In addition to these Commodore drives I snagged an MSD SD-1 and it also passed the "smoke test"... and on top of that it appears to use a drive mechanism that I probably have a workable spare lying around for. (Months ago I saw a mint-looking 5 1/4 floppy drive in a recycle bin and thought it might come in handy someday. It appears to be almost the same model as the MDS' stock mechanism, just double-sided. That of course has me vaguely wondering if it's possible to hack an MSD SD-1 motherboard into an ad-hoc MSD SD-2...)

Comment

Fun. I'm wondering if it might be worth investing in one of those little micro clips so I can try pinning a jumper wire to various places before deciding whether to solder it down. When I get a chance I'll take a look at my board and see how closely it does or doesn't match the Zimmer documentation.
                  I hope your board matches the Zimmer documentation as UA1 pin 2 may be the best place. I had the wrong pin on the 6502 as it turns out. Pin 37 is Phase Zero input and is the WRONG signal. I wanted Phase 1 (pin 3) which is the inverse of Phase 2. I will edit the sketch.

To be closest to the original circuit, NOT_Phase 2 may be best (UA1-2).

Comment

A sketch would be good,
                    For pin 18 of the 2732, I called out a jumper to 'Phase 1' from the 6502 because my board does not match the board on Zimmers and I have no UA1. If you have a UA1, you can substitute UA1-2 rather than pin 3 of the 6502 chip. Here is the zimmer's schematic I am looking at:

http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/c...0/320806-1.gif

It seems to me that all pins are one to one except that pin 21 (A11) of the 2732 goes to pin 18 (A11) of the 2332, and pin 21 of the 2332 is not connected to the top adapter, and finally 2732 pin 18 goes to either UA1-2 or UN1-3.

I hope someone checks this diagram before a board is modified. MikeS where are you?

4040EPROM.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS View Post
                      The only issue might be timing; it looks like UA1 is only there to delay clock phase 2, so UA1-2 would be a little earlier. If I get a chance I could open up my 4040 and try replacing one of the ROMS with a 2732.
                      You didn't by any chance try this out yet, did you?

Thanks to being sick and otherwise distracted I sort of dropped the "fix the PET stuff" project on the floor for a while, but I was going to see about getting a 2732 burned. I guess I still need to see about comparing my 2040's motherboard to the Zimmer's schematics and see if I can find the landmarks that have been mentioned...

Comment

You didn't by any chance try this out yet, did you?
                        Not yet, but I have a problem with one of my 8050s so I'll be investigating those ROMs soon.

Comment

Working...
                        X