Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Diagnosing KIM-1 short

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok good job.
    My guess the last owner plugged the wrong voltage, something much higher than 5v [maybe he had the 5v and 12v swapped], into that KIM-1 and the zener sacrificed itself.
    All in the name of rock 'n roll
    Because they must have left it on with the higher voltage just a little too long for that zener to dissipate all that extra power.

The oscillator cap has such a low ESR that it can be disregarded. Your ESR meter probably couldn't register any reading on such a low capacitance. That meter must have a specific range, in general for electrolytic caps.
    Dan Roganti
    my corner of cyberspace http://www.rogtronics.net/blog
    Vintage Computer Federation http://www.vcfed.org/

Comment

Radioshack has no 6.3v so I ordered a few. What would happen if I used a 3.8v (too low) or 11v (too high) instead (just curious)?

In the meantime when I first ran a power on test I had a clip lead on the circuit to measure the 5V and it melted it within a split second. The Zener might have sacrificed itself, but more damage down the line is expected.
      @ BillDeg:
      Web: vintagecomputer.net
      Twitter: @billdeg
      Youtube: @billdeg
      Unauthorized Bio

Comment

Originally posted by billdeg View Post
        Radioshack has no 6.3v so I ordered a few. What would happen if I used a 3.8v (too low) or 11v (too high) instead (just curious)?
        ok, don't use anything lower than a 5v zener. It will start to conduct and overheat because there isn't any current limiting resistor in series with that.
        Just leave that spot empty until you get the new parts in. No sense in putting the 11v volt, it won't protect the 5v parts since it's a higher voltage rating.
        You can still power up the board without this part. Just watch that the power connections don't get swapped around by mistake.

In the meantime when I first ran a power on test I had a clip lead on the circuit to measure the 5V and it melted it within a split second. The Zener might have sacrificed itself, but more damage down the line is expected.
        oh wait, did you check the in-circuit resistance on the 5v power and 12v power yet ? [remove power supply]
        See my earlier post for the in-circuit resistance values.
        Dan Roganti

Comment

+5v .478 k ohm
          +12v 2.9 m ohm

The power supply itself is very solid. It is a newer one, seems to maintain exactly 5.0 with a number of resistors are in line. I do have questions about how to measure the caps in circuit if possible by comparing a known-working unit rather than removing one leg to test out of circuit, but if need be I will remove each. Same goes with the resistors, but I suspect a cap is more likely to have gone bad.

There is no 6.2v Zener diode in circuit (removed the bad one). I have seen +5.0v readings (exactly) throughout the board indicating a steady regulation. After removing the zener there is no complaint from the power supply.

Next I plan to work through the board/schematic, but if you have any test points to confirm let me know. I have an oscilloscope, logic probe, etc ready to go.

b
          @ BillDeg:
          Unauthorized Bio

Comment

+5v .478 k ohm
            +12v 2.9 m ohm
            ok ,looks good
            It doesn't appear then to be any major shorts on the mainboard.
            On the +5v you like to type 0.478Kohm, since it's viewed like that on the DMM, and it's easier to read on here

The power supply itself is very solid. It is a newer one, seems to maintain exactly 5.0 with a number of resistors are in line.
            That's good news. Considering what stress it might have gone thru if it had been wired incorrectly to the mainboard and damaged that zener

I do have questions about how to measure the caps in circuit if possible by comparing a known-working unit rather than removing one leg to test out of circuit, but if need be I will remove each. Same goes with the resistors, but I suspect a cap is more likely to have gone bad.
            I guess you mean measuring the ESR and if you have a "In-Circuit" ESR meter. Not all of them are the same type. Some are only "out-of-circuit". Your ESR70+ meter can check Caps "in-Circuit", so you can go ahead and take the ESR measurements of the Electrolytics.

There is no 6.2v Zener diode in circuit (removed the bad one). I have seen +5.0v readings (exactly) throughout the board indicating a steady regulation. After removing the zener there is no complaint from the power supply.
            Sounds like it's looking good so far.

Next I plan to work through the board/schematic, but if you have any test points to confirm let me know. I have an oscilloscope, logic probe, etc ready to go.

b
            The basic thing to verify is the CPU oscillator is working fine, on pin.39. Just use the scope for the that, with the Horiz set to about 5us/div and the Vert set to about 2v/div to view enough cycles on the screen.

One thing I noticed is it hard to find the original schematics for the KIM-1. All I ever see online are copies which are not exactly the same as the original KIM-1. So finding the signals on chips and their pin numbers are a chore still.

You should try to run some of the examples in the user manual
            If you don't have the manual, there a copy online here
            http://users.telenet.be/kim1-6502/6502/usrman.html
            Dan Roganti

Comment

Originally posted by Ragooman View Post
              <snip>

The basic thing to verify is the CPU oscillator is working fine, on pin.39. Just use the scope for the that, with the Horiz set to about 5us/div and the Vert set to about 2v/div to view enough cycles on the screen.

One thing I noticed is it hard to find the original schematics for the KIM-1. All I ever see online are copies which are not exactly the same as the original KIM-1. So finding the signals on chips and their pin numbers are a chore still.

You should try to run some of the examples in the user manual
              If you don't have the manual, there a copy online here
              http://users.telenet.be/kim1-6502/6502/usrman.html
              Will try that next....real life work calls however, must wait. I have a full page poster schematic. I did not realize these are hard to find, maybe I will scan each block and post on my site so you can download, print, and assemble your own poster.

I will put a logic probe on pin 39 and see what kind of pulse I am getting, plus compare with oscilloscope readout, will report back when I can.
              b
              @ BillDeg:
              Unauthorized Bio

Comment

This fellow has a very nice scan of the poster. I've spent many hours looking at it.

http://www.pestingers.net/images/Ant...KIM_POSTER.jpg

(It was nice to see one of my pictures referenced earlier in this thread.)

Gilbert

Comment

Working through system..Power on 5V OK but no lights.

1. Removed shorted zener diode between application and expansion edge connectors. This solved problem with power supply (before pwr supp immediately hissed when power applied). Because my power supply is new and regulated I am told I don't need the zener, temporarily.
                  2. Replaced tant cap near 6502, was probably ok but it's a tant so it's a good idea to replace them when they're old just in case
                  3. replaced resistor near zener diode
                  4. getting pulse at pin 39 of CPU

At this point, applying power using a new 5V regulated supply returns exactly 5.00 volts in numerous places consistently, so now it's time to work through schematic.

1. pin 40 of 6502 goes low when RS (reset pressed)
                  2. It looks like a consistent wave on pin 39 and 3 on the 6502, but I'd like to see what a "good" one looks like. Mine is a slightly dirty looking wave but I don't expect a perfect sin wave either. I'd call it "probably good"
                  3. U16 pins 13, 12, 11 and 10 have a clock. 6502 A0/A1 have pulse
                  4. U4 (74145) D = nothing, A,B,C pulse after reset
                  5. U4 K0 = high, K5=high, K6=high, K7=high
                  6. transistor Q1 legs snapped off (both collector and emitter) need to replace (pnp transistor b>20 , vce>12 - 2n5371). tested base of Q2-Q6 by connecting base to ground with a 1Kohm resistor in the middle - all lit up.
                  7. tested 7406 in u17 using TTL tester - reports "passed".

I found some of these testing tips elsewhere on this site. thanks all.

Next - test the caps I guess.
                  @ BillDeg:
                  Unauthorized Bio

Comment

You need to ground the DECEN- line which is pin K on the application connector. That will cause U4 D input to be low, and then you'll see activity on K7, K5 and K0.

Comment

wow. I did as you said and the KIM sprang to life ... at least now there is something on the display. I did not have pin K on the application connector grounded, I did not think I had to unless I was using the +12v...I was just grounding AA only all this time.

thanks...now to find a transistor for Q1 so I can read the most significant number of the addresses and test the ROM/RAM. When that's done I will attach to a teletype for input and storage.

UPDATE: RAM peeks shows ROM in memory matching 6530 listing, yay!

Bill
                      Last edited by billdeg; August 26, 2014, 09:23 AM.
                      @ BillDeg:
                      Unauthorized Bio

Comment

Originally posted by gcoville View Post
                        This fellow has a very nice scan of the poster. I've spent many hours looking at it.

http://www.pestingers.net/images/Ant...KIM_POSTER.jpg

(It was nice to see one of my pictures referenced earlier in this thread.)

Gilbert
                        I'm having a bugger of a time trying to view that webpage
                        I don't have any problems with other websites
                        Could it be that 512Kword BGP Routing Table Limit being hit again ?
                        Has anyone else tried that link ?
                        I checked with the usual "is-my-site-down" services and it says that website is definitely down
                        Could someone who has that copy upload it somewhere for us ?
                        Dan Roganti

Comment

Originally posted by gcoville View Post
                          You need to ground the DECEN- line which is pin K on the application connector. That will cause U4 D input to be low, and then you'll see activity on K7, K5 and K0.

oh man, I looked closer at mine again and see that now too.
                          It was already wired that way but didn't recognize it.
                          I had to look it up online in the KIM-1 User manual - the one book I don't have.
                          The wiring is in the Power supply section[see link]
                          This is a Address Decode signal for any expansion hardware
                          http://users.telenet.be/kim1-6502/6502/usrman.html#F22
                          Dan Roganti

Comment

wow. I did as you said and the KIM sprang to life ... at least now there is something on the display. I did not have pin K on the application connector grounded, I did not think I had to unless I was using the +12v...I was just grounding AA only all this time.

thanks...now to find a transistor for Q1 so I can read the most significant number of the addresses and test the ROM/RAM. When that's done I will attach to a teletype for input and storage.

UPDATE: RAM peeks shows ROM in memory matching 6530 listing, yay!

Bill
                            Glad to hear you got both of them working now
                            We might have to get ours all together and make a KIM-1 farm running some code for a display
                            Dan Roganti

Comment

Originally posted by Ragooman View Post
                              Originally posted by ldkraemer
                              In your case, take a look at the LeakSeeker 89: http://eds-inc.com/product/leakseeker-89/

I know it expensive, but it shows you how it works. I wish I had one to play with, it did get me to thinking about cheaper solutions.
                              Hey, that one looks very interesting !
                              And it's way cheaper than the I-Prober 520
                              It does says it's only for dead-shorts, and not when it's a few ohms.
                              But it wouldn't hurt to add this on the bench.

I found a homebrew fluxgate current probe, similar to the I-Prober 520.
                              I'll have to look up the bookmark again. I think it was in the internet archive.
                              Found it, here's the link I think this is a great little project
                              Might want to back up this webpage in case it disappears.
                              http://avrs-at-leipzig.de/dokuwiki/e...ekte/fluxprobe
                              Dan Roganti

Comment

I've used a better method of tracing shorts that even works on ground plains.
                                It always confuses people when I try to describe it but it can quickly find a shorted
                                part without anything other than some leads, a 4 digit ( prefered 5 digit) DVM and
                                a power supply with current limit.
                                One places the power supply from one side to the other of, say the ground
                                trace and limit the supply to about 2 or 3 amperes. ( yes, on the same trace,
                                not through the short ).
                                Place one meter lead on the trace that has the short.
                                With the other measure along the trace with the current flowing through it.
                                When you reach the short, the meter reads 0 volts.
                                If the supply has fingers, it may be necessary to move one of the supply
                                leads and probe along the finger.
                                On ground plains I up the current. You need to first probe one way across
                                the board and find the 0 volt line.
                                Move the supply leads to the other corner and probe to find another line.
                                X marks the spot of the short.
                                There are some other tricks like this that I use to find multiple shorts but
                                these are easier to show than describe in text.
                                Not more easter egging. You'll always know the exact cause of the short.
                                The voltage across the trace is so small that I've even used it to locate
                                a bad RAM that when soldered down was self selecting when powered up.
                                You just have to make sure the supply is isolated.
                                Dwight

Comment

Working...
                                X