• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PET software archive?

crock

Experienced Member
Hello all,

Does an archive of commercial pet titles exist, either game or productivity? I know there's a few bits on zimmers and some PD stuff on TPUG but the PET has nothing like those that exist for it's descendants (vic, 64, plus4/c16 and amiga.) I recall that someone off this list (drea?) started a game archive a couple of years back but that link is now dead.

Considering the PET was one of the triumvirate of true "out of the box" personal computers we seem rather poorly organised compared to our peers. Do others agree? Should we try and do something about it?

Rob

I always wondered why PET software has been so scarce online.
There's the TOSEC for PET with about 30 disks, most of them compilations.

https://archive.org/details/Commodore_PET_TOSEC_2012_04_23

Well, after a couple of days further searching I did not find much more. If I registered and funded the hosting, I would need some support in seeding and maintaining such an archive and this forum would seem a sensible place to start. Who would be willing to submit their PET software or share the maintenance of such an archive?

Ad-interim, I'm looking for some 80-column productivity software I can run on an 8096/8296 if anyone's got something.

cheers, Rob

I'll share what I have. But, aside from one or two things I wrote which probably aren't interesting to anyone, everything I have, I downloaded in the past year or so.

Hello all,

Does an archive of commercial pet titles exist, either game or productivity? I know there's a few bits on zimmers and some PD stuff on TPUG but the PET has nothing like those that exist for it's descendants (vic, 64, plus4/c16 and amiga.) I recall that someone off this list (drea?) started a game archive a couple of years back but that link is now dead.

Considering the PET was one of the triumvirate of true "out of the box" personal computers we seem rather poorly organised compared to our peers. Do others agree? Should we try and do something about it?

Rob

Yes, we should! PET stuff is definitely harder to come by, but it is out there. I uploaded a ZIP file of about 300 PET games to Commodore128.org before it vanished. I can make those available on my web site, which is hosted on 6502.org. I am also willing to host any PET software that anyone would like to contribute. I have a few software packages with scanned manuals that I've been meaning to post as well but they need some work still. At the 2014 World of Commodore show, there was an effort made to collect PET disks for archiving and hopefully those disks can be sorted and organized and made available in the future.

Steve

I'd be happy to help with the maintenance of an archive. Unfortunately, I don't have much to contribute. I may have some unique PET related printed materials. I am happy to scan and upload them.

Heather

Hi together, I might be late to the party but I got 80 PET tapes that could be contributed to an archive. Did you find an archive yet? Kind regards.

You may want to speak to DrAlis. They and I are in the process of starting a colab to backup a number of tapes they have. I am not speaking on this more, as they are the one with the software to upload, I am just the one with the means to backup from cassette to .TAP file.

Back