• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

V.C.PET Font

Interstate 8088

Greetings..

Many moons ago I modified the font on my Commodore PET's to something I thought more appropriate. I uploaded them to Bo's site a few years ago for all to share. Just thought I would mention it here where someone may use and comment on it. Write this .BIN file into a 2716 EPROM ( or 2816 EEPROM if you have one ) and replace the character generator chip. http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/firmware/computers/pet/other/characters-901447-10m.bin . You could also put the original into one half of a 2532, and this file in the other half and switch between the two. All comments welcome..

Enjoy......

Cheers

Mike.

Hi JonB

Good point JonB , no I don't...yet. I will work on that. The V.C. is, of course,for Vintage Computer. You can preview it in Vice, or emulator of your choice. I will attempt to upload a screen shot in my next post.

Cheers
Mike

I can't wait to check this out.

I can't help but wonder what could be more appropriate than the PET font?

You can get a quick look by substituting it for the "chargen" ROM in VICE's PET emulator. It's a cute little "computer!" type font (those ones with all the characters styled after the OCR-A digits.)

I haven’t any immediate way to try it in person, as my computer room has somehow gotten to the point where I need to move stacks of stuff around before firing any machine up (and that in the middle of the floor, despite my having over 20 linear feet of desks in here — all of which has succumbed to an insidious case of creeping flatsurfaceitis, having accrued a thick coating of dead machines and incomplete or otherwise nonfunctional projects). Even so, from the screen shot that looks like a beautiful piece of pixel work!

That's really nice. Very "70's computer font"!

I wonder what a page full of BASIC looks like in it..

Awesome avatar, Jon! That was my first consideration. I like it! :)

I've got to try out this font this weekend.

Thanks!

Hey, I was going to say - isn't there a better picture of Travis out there? One where he is looking mean? That's an uncommonly mild facial expression for such an evil doer...

I don't know. Of all the ones I could find, I thought this was the most sinister looking one.

All I know is that Stephen Grief had him pegged. I don't think anyone could play that kind of character better. That other guy was just silly.

Also, my signature is the meanest sounding thing I can remember him actually saying.

Back