Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Lemonade Stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lemonade Stand

I've been looking for this very simple program for the PET (I'm assuming I could also use the 64 version, and convert it to the right memory location with unicopy). I recall that it came with my 64 originally. I'm having great difficulty finding it on the web. Does anyone have it (e-mail me a ZIP file) or point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
    B.
    Last edited by Bish500; April 14, 2017, 03:40 PM.

I can't believe how incredibly difficult this little BASIC game was to find (it took about 3.5 hours in total). When I owned my first C64, this program was everywhere! I believe it came on the "Commodore Program Pack", which was given away in Canada as a promotional item upon the purchase of a new C64 system (computer + disk drive) in 1983.

If you want to download it for yourself, find a .T64 image here: http://www.myabandonware.com/game/lemonade-4eu

Last edited by Bish500; April 14, 2017, 05:35 PM.

Comment

I remember playing this in high school. We figured out how to cheat with the change of one command.

Comment

As previously stated, I found the C64 version - it works great - on the 64.....but I remember there being a PET version (can anyone verify that?). The 64 version will not load into the PET. Could it be because it's in a different memory location?

Does anyone know where I can get the PET version?

Comment

If it's a BASIC program and does not contain any PEEK or POKE statements, it's very simple to run on the PET. You much change the load address, as BASIC programs reside in a different memory location on the PET vs the C64.

Originally posted by Fallo
          The problem with BASIC files is the following: The PET's BASIC RAM starts at $0401 -- and that's also what the first two bytes of a PET BASIC PRG file should state. When loading such a BASIC program into a C64, it gets nevertheless loaded to $0801 (the C64's BASIC RAM) and automatically re-linked so that all "next line" pointers point to the appropriate addresses. The PET, however, seems incapable of relocating BASIC programs so that a program thus saved to tape does get loaded to $0401, but its "next line" pointers keep pointing to their C64-based $08something targets.

To load C64 BASIC files on the PET, do the following:

Type 0 REM

Load the BASIC file

Type SYS 1024 to get into the PET's monitor

Type M 0400-0410 to dump the first few bytes of BASIC memory. You should see an 01 04. Change this to 01 08 and exit the monitor. When you type LIST, you'll now see your BASIC program. The 0 REM line will be at the top of it; just type 0 and hit Return to get rid of it.
          Once you've done that, make sure to save the program; and save it on a proper disk formatted in the drive you use on your PET.
          Be polite and I may let you live.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...5NBVfKX5471R9U

Comment

Given that it has no graphics or sound, it should be easy to port to just about any 80s micro running BASIC. You'd think with its superior graphics and sound, the C64 version of Lemonade Stand would be better than the Apple II version :P

Comment

Thanks. I'll try that. The 64 version has poke commands, but I believe they're primarily for colour.

Comment

Originally posted by Bish500 View Post
                Thanks. I'll try that. The 64 version has poke commands, but I believe they're primarily for colour.
                Ok, then delete them, else nothing will happen, or something bad will happen. Best would be to look up the addresses and see what they are. Some may be for plotting directly to the text screen, or cursor control, or other such things that work on the PET but may have different locations.
                Be polite and I may let you live.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...5NBVfKX5471R9U

Comment

Originally posted by Bish500 View Post
                  I'll have some time over the summer while I'm off work, and will have the PET at home. I'll fool with it then, and will let you know what I find out.

Comment

Is there a DOS port for this?

Comment

Originally posted by chulofiasco View Post
                      Is there a DOS port for this?
                      Lemonade Stand is a business simulation game created in 1973 by Bob Jamison of the Minnesota Educational Computing Consortium (MECC). In it, the player moves through several rounds of running a lemonade stand, beginning each round by making choices dependent on their current amount of money about their stock, prices, and advertising. In each round, the results are randomized based on the player's inputs, as well as affected by random events such as thunderstorms and street closures. Each round ends with a summary of the player's current status, and the game ends after 12 rounds.

In 1979, the game was ported by Charlie Kellner to the Apple II; Apple subsequently included the game with their computers throughout the 1980s. MECC also offered the game for sale as a part of bundles of children's software for Apple computers and Atari 8-bit computers. Kellner's source code was released, and has since been ported to modern computers as a free, open-source game. Reviewers of the game, both contemporary and retroactive, viewed the game as a good primer for children into business and decision making processes.

There are similar flash-based simulations on the web:

https://www.coolmath-games.com/0-lemonade-stand
                      https://omsi.edu/exhibitions/moneyvi...onadestand.htm
                      http://www.classbrain.com/cb_games/c.../lemonade.html
                      http://www.primarygames.com/socstudi...e-millionaire/
                      http://goventure.net/products/lemonade-stand.html
                      http://www.hoodamath.com/mobile/game...nadestand.html
                      http://bizkids.com/games/dollar-a-glass

Comment

Last year I was looking for the original PET version as well - it is very hard to find that true, original version. Most versions for the PET computer available on-line are back-ported from the C64 version.
                        After a long search, I was able to find it.

Here is the thread where I searched for it and eventually found it:
                        http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/...pic.php?t=7841

To summarize:

It's on the Toronto PET User's library CD-ROM, in a disk image labelled "(o)e9.d64", which you can buy here:
                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/TPUG-Library...oAAOSwUuFWxeXc

I would recommend buying this disk. It's great value for the money and will give you hundreds (thousands?) of pieces of obscure pieces software for all of your Commodore machines - much of it is not available online elsewhere (that I have found).

NOTE: One message in that Denial Thread provides a download link to a "converted" PET lemonade stand binary, but be aware that is also a back-port from the C64 version, not the original version (I don't know how much you care about that).

Here is TRUE, original PET version of Lemonade Stand from (o)e9.d64:
                        lemonade!.prg.zip
                        Last edited by Ral-Clan; July 3, 2017, 05:05 AM.

Comment

Thanks so much! I should really invest in the CD with all of the TPUG disks. I have some of the original floppies from years ago, but not that particular one. I appreciate you uploading the original version for me (and others) to enjoy!

Last edited by Bish500; July 4, 2017, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X