• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Commodore pet 3032 screen full of lines

Desperado

Veteran Member
Hi guys,please can anyone help me please?
I've bought a Cbm 3032 Pet....when i turn on it, i can see only screen full of horizontal lines... (i attach picture)...
what could cause the problem?
Thanks!20190911_182458.jpg

Of course we can :)!

You appear to have horizontal and vertical synchronisation signals (i.e. A full screen raster), but no video signal.

The brightness looks as though it is turned right up possibly (or this may be a failure mode of the fault).

The first thing (as usual) is to check if you have any video signal at the connector on the PET main board that connects to the monitor. I can't remember if you have an oscilloscope or not? That would be the best piece of test equipment to use for this.

No video signal would indicate a fault on the main logic board. The presence of the video signal would indicate a fault on the monitor.

Divide and conquer!

Dave

Of course we can :)!

You appear to have horizontal and vertical synchronisation signals (i.e. A full screen raster), but no video signal.

The brightness looks as though it is turned right up possibly (or this may be a failure mode of the fault).

The first thing (as usual) is to check if you have any video signal at the connector on the PET main board that connects to the monitor. I can't remember if you have an oscilloscope or not? That would be the best piece of test equipment to use for this.

No video signal would indicate a fault on the main logic board. The presence of the video signal would indicate a fault on the monitor.

Divide and conquer!

Dave

Hello Daver2 how are you??
Thanks for your answer!
Unfortunately i don't have scope but i ve a logic probe and multimeter!
Yes i ve seen that raster's trimmer was to max.....now i see only black screen...

Fine thanks, just extremely busy at work...

Can you measure the dc voltage on J7 pin 1 relative to 0V/GND with your multimeter please. It should be somewhere between 0V and 5V and post the result.

Dave

fine thanks, just extremely busy at work...

Can you measure the dc voltage on j7 pin 1 relative to 0v/gnd with your multimeter please. It should be somewhere between 0v and 5v and post the result.

Dave

j7 pin 1=4,8 v

A voltage reading of 4.8 Volts seems too high to me. The implication being that the video output from the logic board is permanently high.

Can you detect any pulses (with your logic probe) on J7 pin 1 as a further cross-check?

The worrying thing is that a video signal level being high should be full white on the monitor (or green for a green screen monitor)...

I don't think you have two simultaneous faults, but it is possible...

Let me have a think for other tests that you can easily perform. dave_m might join in as well...

Dave

A voltage reading of 4.8 Volts seems too high to me. The implication being that the video output from the logic board is permanently high.

Can you detect any pulses (with your logic probe) on J7 pin 1 as a further cross-check?

The worrying thing is that a video signal level being high should be full white on the monitor (or green for a green screen monitor)...

I don't think you have two simultaneous faults, but it is possible...

Let me have a think for other tests that you can easily perform. dave_m might join in as well...

Dave

With logic probe in pin 1 J7 i have always high signal....

Definitely no video from the main logic board then.

Not sure (with the signal level being high) why you haven't got a white/green raster...

Dave

Definitely no video from the main logic board then.

Not sure (with the signal level being high) why you haven't got a white/green raster...

Dave

[SUP][/SUP]

Today i try to read all roms with eprom programmer, so i can compare with the original files....
Basic 2??
Thanks

OK thanks.

So G11 pin 4 is bad.

Can you check the following pins for pulsing with your logic probe please:

G10 pin 6 (74LS00).
G10 pin 8 (74LS00).

G9 pins 8 and 9 (74LS74).

E11 pins 7 and 9 (74LS165).

Basically, I am working backwards on the schematic diagram until we find where things go from GOOD to BAD...

Dave

OK thanks.

So G11 pin 4 is bad.

G10 pin 6 (74LS00).
G10 pin 8 (74LS00).

Basically, I am working backwards on the schematic diagram until we find where things go from GOOD to BAD...

Dave

Hello,
this evening i tried to verify all roms with my eprom programmer and unfortunately, i verified correct only the char rom and edit rom :(
The others 3 roms are bad :(

It doesn't matter - you don't have a CRT controller chip on your board (the VDU logic is hardware) so you should still see the 'garbage' screen on start-up.

Concentrate on that for now and see if we can get a picture...

Dave

Fix one thing at a time, follow what Dave is asking for. You are getting great help. As for the ROMs, they may be different versions or it may be how you are reading them.
Dwight

OK thanks.

So G11 pin 4 is bad.

G10 pin 6 (74LS00).
G10 pin 8 (74LS00).

Dave

Right daver2! This may be a quick fix. It should be one of those signals.

The area that Dave is looking at is a to create inverted video. It could be stuck in one position.
My bet is with the E11 side of things but without data back, that is just a unfounded guess.
Dwight

My bet is with the E11 side of things but without data back, that is just a unfounded guess.

There aren't too many chips it can be: the E11 Shift Register, the G9 Flip Flop, or the G10 and H10 NAND gates. E11 is the most complicated part so your guess may be correct. Five minutes with a scope and we would have this thing fixed (as far as a video signal). Our Paninero will find it.

Sorry but i think that problem in this pet are the Rom....
I tried to insert Pet tester in ud9 with only char rom inserted and i can see this double 20190913_170032.jpg20190913_170034.jpgscreen:

OK thanks.

So G11 pin 4 is bad.

G10 pin 6 (74LS00).
G10 pin 8 (74LS00).

Dave

For this test
should I leave all ROMs inserted?

Back