Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

KIM-1 interest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KIM-1 interest?

New to the forum (recc. to me by user RuudB), I was surprised to find not a single mention of the venerable KIM-1. Yes, it was single-board and primitive, but lots of cool things were done with it. Inspired by articles and projects I read about in Eric Rehnke's KIM-1 User Notes newsletter, I wrote:
    • a self-learning Hexpawn game (KIM learns by its mistakes, eventually becomes unbeatable)
    • a one- or two-player baseball game (with 'pitcher' and 'batter' peripherals, display of pitched and hit ball, stats)
    • a tiny version of Adventure, a.k.a. Colossal Cave (24 locations, five objects to be used, two animals (a bird and a dragon), two treasures to retrieve, magic word, etc)

I'd like to make the source code (and cave map and instructions) for KIM-Venture available for posterity. First I must find a place to post it all, then I will do so if there's any interest at all.

Bob Leedom
    Glenwood Maryland
    USA

It is indeed a neat little SBC! My first taste of machine code and assembly was on a KIM-1 that'd been given to me by a future employer. Dead power supply and missing its 1 MHz crystal. Never got cassette operation to be reliable, but I did enjoy having a machine with so much I/O available to quickly whip up a project with.
    Check out The Glitch Works | My Retro Projects | Vintage Computer Services | Glitch Works Tindie Store -- Vintage Computer Kits and More

Comment

There was also an article to turn the KIM-1 into an eprom programmer for the MM5204 UVeproms. I didn't have the KIM-1 to attempt it, so I used the Eberhard programmer, but it could have been a possible option and I would have tried it, if I had the KIM-1. It is on page 70 of this document and has the source code:

https://archive.org/details/kilobaud...77-09/page/n71

Comment

Using the VCF search is crappy. There is actually quite a bit of KIM-1 stuff here but you need to use a real search engine like google. The search engine for the vcf MB doesn't like to do 3 letter searches so drops KIM.
        Of interest is my article on a 6532 to 6530 replacement:

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...KIM-1-computer

If you look at post 38 and 39 you'll see pictures of the finished product. Note that size of the adapter. It is slightly less thick than 2 sockets of additional height. I sold kits with a diagnostic board as well as the kit with the adapter. Most that I know of used the diagnostic board and fixed other problems on their boards, not caused by either of the 6530 chips. I've been meaning to put all the stuff up on gethub but haven't found the time yet.
        I've no plans to make any more kits but you are welcome to copy any of the stuff for your own purposes. The diagnostic board is quite useful at finding typical problems on the KIM and has 2 games that I put on the ROM. ( it has lots of room for more but I only put the two on it to demonstrate and test out the final product.
        I used an EEPROM that could be programmed right on the KIM for either the -002 or the -003 chip ( it was because I had no easy way to program them on my programmer because they were surface mount parts to hide under the 6532 ). There was a processor on the KIM so it made sense to program them on the board.
        Another place to look for KIM-1 stuff is in the nostalgia section of the 6502.org MB.
        Dwight

Comment

Yeah, what Dwight said. There are many KIM-1 enthusiasts here. I've got several of them myself.
          I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
          Various projects and oddities: http://oldvcr.blogspot.com/
          Machine room: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

Comment

Originally posted by ClassicHasClass View Post
            Yeah, what Dwight said. There are many KIM-1 enthusiasts here. I've got several of them myself.
            A lot more than AIM65 enthusiasts ; I've got several of those, as well as Oscar's Nano-Kim.

Looking forward to seeing those programs!

Comment

There's a few AIM-65 enthusiasts here as well! I wouldn't put myself in that category, more just an owner of one, but there are a few guys here and on IRC that *really* hack on them. TangentDelta comes to mind, he even built an AIM-65 to OSI bus interface.
              Check out The Glitch Works | My Retro Projects | Vintage Computer Services | Glitch Works Tindie Store -- Vintage Computer Kits and More

Comment

On 6502 stuff:

On the KIM, I hope to get Peter Jennings' chess program onto the ROM of the diagnostic board ROM and also add some more of Jim Butterfield's games on the ROM as well. When I get that done, I'll post a note and also get the diagnostic board on gethub. I've been changing the code to run on the ROM to reduce the size of the ROM usage for Peter's code to see if I can squeeze the ROM part to 1K ROM image. That will make bringing it up on the diagnostic board easier as one can then start it as a single ROM partition. The diagnostic board is mostly just a simple ROM board that plugs onto the expansion ports. It can be used to add 1K blocks to the KIM-1, as well as running diagnostics on the board. It uses a 2732 so has a lot of space if one wants to keep the diagnostics. Most of the diagnostics use a small part of each 1K block where they exist so there is a lot of free space to add what ever one would want, like Jim Butterfield's games.

On 6502 in general, I have a system RM65 that I hope to get running with a disk drive. It has parts of a ICE board in it but no dongle so I don't know what the target was. It has a Forth on it, likely quite similar to the AIM-65 Forth but it expects to have the RM65 video board on it as well. I regret it didn't come with that
                When I get time, I'll blow some new ROMs with it connected to a serial port instead. I should be able to make it into an almost AIM-65. I have a AIM-65 with the Forth ROMs on it so maybe I can do some cross compare to make it more compatible at the binary level. With Forth, that may not be necessary. One usually compiles the code when needed rather than keeping a binary image but it wouldn't be to much to tack on a binary loaded to binary images.

All projects for the future.
                Dwight

Comment

If you want to search for KIM-1 posts, just use "KIM1" or try this google search "site://www.vcfed.org/forum/ kim-1" (there IS a space after the URL and before KIM-1) KIM-1 posts are pretty much in the "Commodore" forum.

I have Dwight's board. It is great for troubleshooting. I have a few KIM-1s myself.
                  Maintainer of http://vintagecomputer.ca

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS View Post
                    A lot more than AIM65 enthusiasts ; I've got several of those, as well as Oscar's Nano-Kim.

Looking forward to seeing those programs!
                    Hey, I've got an AIM-65 too! I need to fix its print head.
                    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
                    Various projects and oddities: http://oldvcr.blogspot.com/
                    Machine room: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

Comment

Originally posted by ClassicHasClass View Post
                      Hey, I've got an AIM-65 too! I need to fix its print head.
                      If it's worn down I don't think there's much you can do other than replace it; last I checked there were some available but not cheap.

Turning up the voltage a bit might help; on the other hand it might also burn it out

Comment

Start by cleaning the head. Fluff and dirt can accumulate on thermal printheads and really get in the way of operation. Also, make sure that your paper is fresh--thermal paper degrades with time.

Same for just about any printer technology. I just about purchased a new drum unit for my laser printer until I found a service bulletin that said to clean the window on the drum unit. D'oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck(G) View Post
                          Start by cleaning the head. Fluff and dirt can accumulate on thermal printheads and really get in the way of operation. Also, make sure that your paper is fresh--thermal paper degrades with time.

Same for just about any printer technology. I just about purchased a new drum unit for my laser printer until I found a service bulletin that said to clean the window on the drum unit. D'oh!
                          Good advice! Also, some papers are better than others.

The same mechanism was used in some calculators but they're even harder to find these days.

Comment

I noticed the issue with the degrading paper when I had to use my FAX machine with a thermal printer some time ago. A brand-new sealed roll from a stash that I bought more than 20 years ago displayed only barely visible print.

Since we don't have a POTS line anymore, I wouldn't count on that FAX machine working at all. Fortunately, my VoIP provider provides free FAX service just in case it's needed.

Comment

My old boss used to take the drum units out of earlier laser printers (when the drum unit was separate from the toner cartridge) and clean them using downy fabric softener. Those were the days!

(what this has to do with the KIM-1 I don't know)...

Anywho... I'd like to play around with a KIM-1. I've never seen one in the wild ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X