• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Thomson 4120 Monitor cable for Amiga?

RadRacer203

Veteran Member
So I'm going to be trading for an Amiga 2000 hopefully this week, and I just bought a Thomson 4120 monitor to go with it. Unfortunately it doesn't have the cable. I've never had an Amiga before but from what I can tell the 2000 has a db25 connector for video or something along those lines? This Thomson has a standard db9 plug although I don't know the pinout yet. Does anyone know what cables or adapters I need to hook this monitor up to the Amiga?

I couldn't find a manual for the 4120, but I did find the manual for the CM 36512 VI with the pinout, and I'd be willing to bet the pinout of the 4120 is the same. Should I just build my own cable or would the cable for Commodore monitors be compatible?

So other than there being NO information on the internet about the 4120, it uses the same (seemingly European) long power switch in the commodore monitors [absurdly large switch even for the 1980s] which are impossible to source anymore. Why did these companies use these power switches?

I have the manual and it shows the pinout for analog mode and digital mode.

RGBI
1 - Chassis Ground
2 - Chassis Ground
3 - Red
4 - Green
5 - Blue
6 - Intensity
7 - Reserved
8 - Horizontal Sync
9 - Vertical Sync

RGB Analog
1 - Chassis Ground
2 - Chassis Ground
3 - Red
4 - Green
5 - Blue
6 - Reserved
7 - Composite Sync
8 - Reserved
9 - Reserved

It looks like the RBGI implementation is compatible with CGA (the manual shows a drawing labeled IBM PC). It looks like you can make a cable to make the Apple IIgs work with this, as well. It also looks like the Analog RGB implementation is similar to the Commodore 1084 9 pin, except those "Reserved" pins seem to have actual names on the 1084.

The switch in the front has four positions:

1 - Display analog RGB (4096 colors)
2 - Dispay green screen*
3 - Display RBGI 16 colors
4 - Video composite (NTSC) or Chroma/Luma

Note: the RCA jack for composite "Video" is also used for "Luma" when using the Chroma jack

* For green screen, if in analog (position 1), switch to position 2 for green screen of analog signal. If in RGBI (position 3), switch to position 2 for green screen of digital signal.

Here are some specs of note:

Video Bandwidth: 4.5 MHz (NTSC), 12 MHz RGBI
Resolution: 580x240
Horizontal Frequency: 15.7 KHz
Vertical Frequency: 50/60 Hz

Back