• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PETdisk V2 (PETdisk MAX) with WiFi support now ready for testing

bitfixer

Veteran Member
Hi all,
Just wanted to let you know that I have some early units of the next version of the PETdisk ready for testing.
Named PETdisk MAX after my toddler son. (He's named Max, not PETdisk in case you were wondering.)
Like the original, it's an SD card drive for the PET, and now includes a WiFi module to support using a standard webserver as a network drive for the PET.
I like using this function when doing PET software development - just build your program files to your development machine into a hosted directory, and then load straight from the PET, no SD card shenanigans required.
The new PETdisk does include a passthrough for use with other IEEE-488 devices, and is very low profile, doesn't stick out much from the back of the PET. It includes a connector for powering the device internally, using the 5v supply, which avoids the need for any external cabling. So hopefully this can be something you can just leave attached and use at your leisure. Has one SD socket, and also includes a connector which leads into the PET which you can use to connect a second SD card via an internal ribbon cable somewhere else. So you can mount something in a more convenient location on the machine if you wish.
For the internal power, I originally intended to use a pin on the memory expansion header, because for some reason I had it in my head that 5v was available on that connector - but it's not. So instead I laid out a small ROM passthrough board, which will go into one of your ROM sockets on the PET motherboard and provides a 5v pin to easily connect to the PETdisk. If you have an empty ROM socket, that's all you need, but if all your ROM sockets are full the passthrough board provides a socket to connect that ROM.

Still doing some improvements on the firmware, so there will be some frequent updates in the next couple of weeks. I have a few early units available now - if anyone is interested in helping with testing, I can send you one of these for just shipping cost.
Included a couple of pictures here, I hope to make a short demo video within the next couple of days as well. Here you can see the PETdisk max attached to the back of a PET with a debug/programming harness attached. Then the unit by itself.
Thanks for checking it out! Please let me know if you have any questions.
- Mike

petdisk_max_1.jpg
petdisk_max_2.jpg

Hi all,
Just wanted to let you know that I have some early units of the next version of the PETdisk ready for testing.
Named PETdisk MAX after my toddler son. (He's named Max, not PETdisk in case you were wondering.)
Like the original, it's an SD card drive for the PET, and now includes a WiFi module to support using a standard webserver as a network drive for the PET.
I like using this function when doing PET software development - just build your program files to your development machine into a hosted directory, and then load straight from the PET, no SD card shenanigans required.
The new PETdisk does include a passthrough for use with other IEEE-488 devices, and is very low profile, doesn't stick out much from the back of the PET. It includes a connector for powering the device internally, using the 5v supply, which avoids the need for any external cabling. So hopefully this can be something you can just leave attached and use at your leisure. Has one SD socket, and also includes a connector which leads into the PET which you can use to connect a second SD card via an internal ribbon cable somewhere else. So you can mount something in a more convenient location on the machine if you wish.
For the internal power, I originally intended to use a pin on the memory expansion header, because for some reason I had it in my head that 5v was available on that connector - but it's not. So instead I laid out a small ROM passthrough board, which will go into one of your ROM sockets on the PET motherboard and provides a 5v pin to easily connect to the PETdisk. If you have an empty ROM socket, that's all you need, but if all your ROM sockets are full the passthrough board provides a socket to connect that ROM.

Still doing some improvements on the firmware, so there will be some frequent updates in the next couple of weeks. I have a few early units available now - if anyone is interested in helping with testing, I can send you one of these for just shipping cost.
Included a couple of pictures here, I hope to make a short demo video within the next couple of days as well. Here you can see the PETdisk max attached to the back of a PET with a debug/programming harness attached. Then the unit by itself.
Thanks for checking it out! Please let me know if you have any questions.
- Mike

View attachment 63775
View attachment 63776

I would like to test this too!
Best wishes
John

Thanks very much!
I will be sending messages to those interested to coordinate sending these out.
At the moment, the firmware supports 1 SD card (the one attached on the back), and shortly adding support for a second which can be mounted elsewhere.
Also supports up to 4 network drives, which amount to URLs pointing to different http endpoints where PET programs can be hosted/written.
Configuration is via a .cfg file on an sd card, which is read on startup. This specifies which id numbers should be mapped to each drive.
Firmware updates will also happen by writing a file to an sd card, and if present the firmware gets updated on power up.

Still have a couple of these for testing if anyone else wants to, just let me know. Thanks.
- Mike

Hi all,
My apologies for being away from this for a while. Life has been very busy recently and my vintage computing activities have been limited as a result. But, I'm happy to say that the PETdisk MAX is ready to go now!
I'll get back to everyone in the thread here, also feel free to DM me if interested and see more information on it at: https://bitfixer.com/petdisk-max.
Recent firmware updates have added a few features to the device, including SEQ files, D64 read/write support, and U1 direct block reads on D64 images, which allows Infocom adventures to load.
REL file support coming soon in another update, if anyone has any examples of software on the PET that makes use of REL files, please let me know. It would be very useful in testing.
These new features work both using the microSD card, or on network drives over http. So you can now play Zork on the PET direct from the network, which is pretty fun.
It is still under active development and will be for some time, so new features should be coming out regularly. You can update firmware by copying a firmware file onto the SD card.
Thanks, and please let me know if you have any questions.

REL file support coming soon in another update, if anyone has any examples of software on the PET that makes use of REL files, please let me know. It would be very useful in testing.

The only software I have that requires REL file support is OS-9 for SuperPET. It requires a SuperPET w/ MMU add-on. But, I'd be willing to do testing for you if you do not have such a setup.

Thank you, that would be helpful. I do not have a SuperPET, although I wish I did!
Will send a PM to arrange. I thought possibly some database software may use REL files, the structure would support the application. Will look into it.

At long last, got the DIRECTORY/CATALOG functions working on this. Turns out I was not handling some bus signaling correctly during the directory loading sequence.
Thank you to everyone who helped me test this, it was extremely useful and I appreciate the help. I will send you the latest firmware with the new features shortly.
This is available now, I posted some information in the For Sale section. Or just send me a PM with any questions. Thanks

Thank you so much for producing this. I ordered it this evening, together with a ROMulator. What a great community this is :)

Back