Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Welcome back!

If you're seeing this then welcome to the NEW Vintage Computer Forums.

The forums have been updated to the latest version of the software which means new features and some changes to old ones.

Please don't be alarmed. Change is good!
2 of 2 < >

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

WTB: Commodore 1084/1084S monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB: Commodore 1084/1084S monitor

So it looks like my Commodore 1084 monitor is either fried or on its very last legs. I would think of moving away from that particular format, but from what I can read alternatives that provide full service for a 128 are hard to come by and tend to be as expensive. I would really appreciate anyone who could point me in the direction of a working one. Or a 1902 for that matter.
    Last edited by mozartpc27; December 5, 2020, 11:10 AM.
    Commodore 128 / 1571 / 1581 / 1351 / MPS 1200 / 1084 Monitor / 64NIC+
    Commodore 64 / 1541-II (x 2)
    Commodore Plus/4 / 1551
    TI-99/4A
    Tandy CoCo 2 / Color Computer Mini-Disk 26-3029 (non-working) / Tandy Modem
    Coleco ADAM / Expansion Module 1

You might have more luck if you post in the Marketplace section of the forum.

Where are you located ?

Comment

Why dont you recap the 1084 and diagnose/repair any other components on it? Getting another old monitor is a bandaid maneuver at best unless you do some basic maintenance on them.

Comment

Originally posted by VERAULT View Post
        Why dont you recap the 1084 and diagnose/repair any other components on it? Getting another old monitor is a bandaid maneuver at best unless you do some basic maintenance on them.
        This is a good idea, but I am afraid monitor repair is 100% not my ballgame, wouldn't even know where to begin. I am willing to try within the limits of my pretty shabby abilities, beginning with the "recapping." Any advice is appreciated.
        Commodore Plus/4 / 1551
        TI-99/4A

Comment

Originally posted by zippysticks View Post
          You might have more luck if you post in the Marketplace section of the forum.

Where are you located ?
          Will do.

Suburban Philadelphia.
          Commodore Plus/4 / 1551
          TI-99/4A

Comment

There arw a ton of videos online. If you fix a monitor it will cost a few dollsrs and may last many more years. A recplacement monitor may just last hours. And what will you do with the old.screen? Throw it out? One less viable monitor out there if you do that.

Comment

Originally posted by VERAULT View Post
              There arw a ton of videos online. If you fix a monitor it will cost a few dollsrs and may last many more years. A recplacement monitor may just last hours. And what will you do with the old.screen? Throw it out? One less viable monitor out there if you do that.
              Hey, I agree, fixing is better. If I can figure it out I will. I have one old 1084S, to answer your question, that I bought, and, as you suggest, it lasted... not long at all. But I never threw it away; still have it. Took that one to be repaired, but supposedly the issue was a Flyback transformer, and I was basically informed flyback transformers for these monitors were effectively unobtanium. On that one, the picture cut out and never came back.

On this one, the picture is cutting out, although it comes back - unfortunately the cutting out is becoming more frequent, and the time to come back is taking longer, so I suspect the same issue - a failing flyback transformer. If you have any expertise/experience with this, does it sound right? If so, I am not sure what is to be done about a failed/failing flyback. I still have the other one I could fix, if it were fixable.
              Commodore Plus/4 / 1551
              TI-99/4A

Comment

I can also add, by way of information, that on the one I have currently that semi-works, the problem is much more pronounced, it seems, if I use the "Wi-Fly" modem, which I have had for a few years now and that was developed by and purchased from a user on another board. But I am not sure if it is the modem itself or running DesTerm. When I have the modem plugged in and run DesTerm, it seems the problem is more likely to occur, and it takes longer for the monitor to recover when it does. For example, this afternoon I used DesTerm briefly, and while it worked during that process the monitor cut out soon after and did not seem to be on its way back, prompting this post. Now, I have it unplugged, and while the monitor cut out once, it restored itself immediately, and has been stable since.

This follows a pattern I noticed on Thanksgiving, when I tried to use DesTerm and the problem was bad, then later just used GEOS and it was fine. At that time I do not believe I bothered unplugging the modem, as I have done now.

Could all be a coincidence I suppose, but since the modem is obviously using radio waves, my limited technical knowledge has me wondering about RF shielding and the like.
                Commodore Plus/4 / 1551
                TI-99/4A

Comment

The Commodore 1084, which was originally developed for the Amiga, is a very good colour monitor for the Commodore 64.

Comment

I have found that the flyback is not an item to go easily. It seems to get blame when it is not the culprit. I have seen the weight of a flyback brake the PCB its installed in. I just opened a thread about that here: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...Monitor-repair
                    and I fixed an Apple IIgs monitor for a friend a week ago with the same problem (board cracked under weight of flyback).

You can easily see if thats the problems by taking the cover off and examining for cracks on the trace side of the PCB (expecially near the flyback)

Comment

Check the flyback for cracks in the solder joints that's a very common
                      problem I have fixed that problem many times..
                      Never Bin or sell your old computer's you will regret it!!
                      Vic 20 x3,C64 x2,128D,C128 flat deck,A1000 x2,A500 x3,A2000,A600,A1200,Apple ][e,2x Apple][ GS rom 01,03,Apple ][c x4 with only 1 PSU,2x Laser 128EX EX2,Atari 600XL,2x 800XL,130XE w/320 mod With a MyIDE plus,Atari 1040stf w/2.5meg..

Comment

I have a 1084 I was going to list on ebay. Not stereo. The boxy type, excellent shape. I am in Seattle.
                        mcdvoice mybkexperience

Comment

Oh my, sorry I am late on this. I will PM you.
                          Commodore Plus/4 / 1551
                          TI-99/4A

Comment

I'd consider selling my 1084s monitor, since I don't currently have a working computer set-up. I don't live nearby of course. The monitor does have some light screen burn-in however.

Comment

I managed to find a new old stock flyback for a 1084S-P on ebay fairly easily and, while the repair was pushing the envelope of my skills, it worked! It also needed a horizontal output transistor and a burned up resistor and capacitor, which I assume the flyback took with them when it failed. They were really obvious on visual inspection, though (that and the fact that they smoked when the power was on.)

If your issue on your 1084 is intermittent like that I would be suspicious of solder joints, especially around the flyback, but not necessarily the flyback itself unless it's making a lot of high-pitched noise when the high voltage is running.

If you want to get rid of your non-working 1084S I could give it a good home .

Cheers,
                              Greg

Comment

Working...
                              X