• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

WTB: Commodore 1084/1084S monitor

mozartpc27

So it looks like my Commodore 1084 monitor is either fried or on its very last legs. I would think of moving away from that particular format, but from what I can read alternatives that provide full service for a 128 are hard to come by and tend to be as expensive. I would really appreciate anyone who could point me in the direction of a working one. Or a 1902 for that matter.

Last edited:
Why dont you recap the 1084 and diagnose/repair any other components on it? Getting another old monitor is a bandaid maneuver at best unless you do some basic maintenance on them.

Why dont you recap the 1084 and diagnose/repair any other components on it? Getting another old monitor is a bandaid maneuver at best unless you do some basic maintenance on them.

This is a good idea, but I am afraid monitor repair is 100% not my ballgame, wouldn't even know where to begin. I am willing to try within the limits of my pretty shabby abilities, beginning with the "recapping." Any advice is appreciated.

There arw a ton of videos online. If you fix a monitor it will cost a few dollsrs and may last many more years. A recplacement monitor may just last hours. And what will you do with the old.screen? Throw it out? One less viable monitor out there if you do that.

There arw a ton of videos online. If you fix a monitor it will cost a few dollsrs and may last many more years. A recplacement monitor may just last hours. And what will you do with the old.screen? Throw it out? One less viable monitor out there if you do that.

Hey, I agree, fixing is better. If I can figure it out I will. I have one old 1084S, to answer your question, that I bought, and, as you suggest, it lasted... not long at all. But I never threw it away; still have it. Took that one to be repaired, but supposedly the issue was a Flyback transformer, and I was basically informed flyback transformers for these monitors were effectively unobtanium. On that one, the picture cut out and never came back.

On this one, the picture is cutting out, although it comes back - unfortunately the cutting out is becoming more frequent, and the time to come back is taking longer, so I suspect the same issue - a failing flyback transformer. If you have any expertise/experience with this, does it sound right? If so, I am not sure what is to be done about a failed/failing flyback. I still have the other one I could fix, if it were fixable.

I can also add, by way of information, that on the one I have currently that semi-works, the problem is much more pronounced, it seems, if I use the "Wi-Fly" modem, which I have had for a few years now and that was developed by and purchased from a user on another board. But I am not sure if it is the modem itself or running DesTerm. When I have the modem plugged in and run DesTerm, it seems the problem is more likely to occur, and it takes longer for the monitor to recover when it does. For example, this afternoon I used DesTerm briefly, and while it worked during that process the monitor cut out soon after and did not seem to be on its way back, prompting this post. Now, I have it unplugged, and while the monitor cut out once, it restored itself immediately, and has been stable since.

This follows a pattern I noticed on Thanksgiving, when I tried to use DesTerm and the problem was bad, then later just used GEOS and it was fine. At that time I do not believe I bothered unplugging the modem, as I have done now.

Could all be a coincidence I suppose, but since the modem is obviously using radio waves, my limited technical knowledge has me wondering about RF shielding and the like.

The Commodore 1084, which was originally developed for the Amiga, is a very good colour monitor for the Commodore 64.

I have found that the flyback is not an item to go easily. It seems to get blame when it is not the culprit. I have seen the weight of a flyback brake the PCB its installed in. I just opened a thread about that here: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?77618-1992-Sony-Trinitron-Monitor-repair
and I fixed an Apple IIgs monitor for a friend a week ago with the same problem (board cracked under weight of flyback).

You can easily see if thats the problems by taking the cover off and examining for cracks on the trace side of the PCB (expecially near the flyback)

Check the flyback for cracks in the solder joints that's a very common
problem I have fixed that problem many times..

I'd consider selling my 1084s monitor, since I don't currently have a working computer set-up. I don't live nearby of course. The monitor does have some light screen burn-in however.

I managed to find a new old stock flyback for a 1084S-P on ebay fairly easily and, while the repair was pushing the envelope of my skills, it worked! It also needed a horizontal output transistor and a burned up resistor and capacitor, which I assume the flyback took with them when it failed. They were really obvious on visual inspection, though (that and the fact that they smoked when the power was on.)

If your issue on your 1084 is intermittent like that I would be suspicious of solder joints, especially around the flyback, but not necessarily the flyback itself unless it's making a lot of high-pitched noise when the high voltage is running.

If you want to get rid of your non-working 1084S I could give it a good home :).

Cheers,
Greg

So let me give you all the final resolution to my posts on this topic, and if you are from the vague area of SE PA, you may want to pay particular attention. I just had such a positive experience I feel the need to share on here with anybody who might be in my area and has an old Commodore monitor that may be broken or need some help. I have a 1084S that had the sharpest and most beautiful picture I'd ever seen on a CRT monitor when I got it some 7-8 years ago, but I only had it for a few months when the picture went out, in what was finally diagnosed as a fried flyback.

If you have a Commodore monitor for your Commodore computer, you know these are starting to get old and expensive to replace. 7-8 years ago replace is what I did - I wound up getting a 1084 that I paid around $150 or so for plus $50 to ship. Today you'd be lucky to get a 1084 for $450 with shipping and tax, and I watched a 1084S go for $660 at the end of 2020 on eBay.

My replacement 1084 was starting to have problems with keeping the picture (something must be loose on the inside), and that led directly to me making the original post in this thread, but seeing how much these things were fetching these days made me think about taking another shot at getting it repaired . I first contacted Ray Carlsen, who said he could get a replacement flyback for it (when it had first broken years ago I had taken it to a place relatively local to me then in south Jersey, and was told basically that this part was unobtainium in 2014). So I shipped it off to him, and he replaced it and had it working, and shipped it back. Unfortunately, somewhere in that process, a new problem arose, and by the time I got it it produced no picture and smelled of burning.

I live in the northern Philadelphia suburbs. I called around looking for what I thought must exist, some older fella who must have used to work on these who was still in business, no doubt doing other things, but who would remember enough about the old days to have a poke around. It was hard to find. Finally only one shop even agreed to take a look: Carl's TV & Vacuum in Lansdale, PA.

The guy who worked on it for me (Mike) was extremely patient and helpful, and though he was unsure he would be able to do much with it, he was game. In the end, he got it working again, good as new, with that beautiful sharp old CRT picture. Now it sits on my desk proudly. It was a lot of fun and even he seemed to get a kick out of it.

So here are my plugs: if you have anything Commodore, give Ray Carlsen an email. He is quick, reasonable in his pricing, and knows Commodore like no one else. But y'all knew that already.

But if you live in SE PA or somewhere even within a few hours' drive and you have some old Commodore monitors that could use some repair - and given the prices they fetch, fixing them is worth it! - Carl's TV and Vacuum is a place that will do great work. Ask for Mike!

You were lucky to find a local fix it shop still in business. All the ones I knew of including TV and appliance repair shops have all closed up. ITs just not a "repair it" world we live in.. Its a "Throw away" kind. Well glad you got it working anyhow, and yep Ray is the Man. I love the dual port Power supply I bought for him. Just got an Amiga so it now has 3 different computers I use it on.

You were lucky to find a local fix it shop still in business. All the ones I knew of including TV and appliance repair shops have all closed up. ITs just not a "repair it" world we live in.. Its a "Throw away" kind. Well glad you got it working anyhow, and yep Ray is the Man. I love the dual port Power supply I bought for him. Just got an Amiga so it now has 3 different computers I use it on.

You just can't make money doing it anymore. No one is going to pay skilled labor rates approaching $100/hr for component level repair on cheap modern garbage

The keyword being "modern". I believe there is a very small niche for repair people to repair older items (20 years old or older) that the owner has some attachment or appreciation for. The shop owner better have an established online presence if they want to survive though.

And even doing so, they cant charge near $100 an hour if they want to make it. So some inflation on repair parts would be warranted; but I suspect that would be understood.

But if you live in SE PA or somewhere even within a few hours' drive and you have some old Commodore monitors that could use some repair - and given the prices they fetch, fixing them is worth it! - Carl's TV and Vacuum is a place that will do great work. Ask for Mike!
Fast forward a few years and this bit of info' is still useful, thanks! :cool: I'm outside of Philly and it looks like Carl's is still open, a service that I can use for some old monitors.

Back