• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TE text editor for CP/M and Z80

Hi Miguel,

Well it looks nice..

I tried the PCW version but it is unbelievably slow: 2 seconds for a screen update or scroll of 1 line..
Not really usable for me as a programming editor.

Gert

I take it that this works only where there is direct access to video memory. That is, you can't use it with, say, a VT100 terminal.

Am I mistaken?

You are mistaken. I use this on my Kaypro 4/83 - with no direct video memory access. I also use it on my RC2014, again with no access to video memory.

That's very useful to know! I'm sure that some folks will be very interested. :)

So you can generate all the appropriate escape sequences for terminal control? How's the operation at 9600 bps?

Technically, the Kaypro 4/83-family *is* direct video access (video RAM is mapped in when the ROM is enabled), but the BIOS provides a sequential byte access similar to a serial terminal, with ESC sequences. BAUD is not relevant, but I've not seen benchmarks as to what "speed" is possible. The Kaypro 4/84-family isolates the video RAM behind the CRTC and custom VLSI, but it is still not subject to BAUD limits.

Hi Miguel,

Well it looks nice..

I tried the PCW version but it is unbelievably slow: 2 seconds for a screen update or scroll of 1 line..
Not really usable for me as a programming editor.

Gert

I'm sorry it does not fit your needs.

Maybe in future versions I will use the PCW screen escape sequences to insert and delete lines in order to speed up some things.

​​​​​​Maybe even I develop a version that write screen buffer directly.

That's very useful to know! I'm sure that some folks will be very interested. :)

So you can generate all the appropriate escape sequences for terminal control? How's the operation at 9600 bps?

Currently any adaptation has a small C file in order to implement cursor movement, etc.

That should be enough to write an adaptation for virtually any machine, using screen escape sequences or writing video memory.

That C file is a sort of small BIOS for TE.

The generic options are set with TECF, a configuration tool for TE by patching the binary.

That includes key bindings, auto indentation, auto completion, tabulation size, screen size, lists, etc.

Back