Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Osborne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So using my RAM test EPROM, it was showing bit 4 chip in the range $0000 to $3FFF faulty, as CP/M uses the first few bytes of lower memory it was preventing a successful boot. Swapped out chip A23 and now it boots

Ran the memory tests on the diagnostic disk and all is looking good (ironic that I had to fix the memory error to run the memory test)

All the pads on the keyboard membrane are now doing what they should but now I need to try and reassemble the keyboard. The keyswitches have small springs in them and given the very light touch needed to activate the membrane, im not certain it won't just go back to having a few keys permanently pushed. Trial and error time.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Current fleet
    TRS80 Model 4 - BBC B - Tatung Einstein - PCW9512 - PET 3032 - C64 - ZX81 - Spectrum 48K - Amiga A500 - Apple II europlus - Apple iMAC G3. Sharp MZ-80K. - IBM 5160 XT - Multibus 286/10 - Micro PDP 11/73 - Rainbow PC100A - MicroVax II - MicroVAX 3100, 3300, VAX 4000 VLC & 4000 Model 96 - AlphaStation 225 Apricot PC - Apple Performa 6200 - Apple Mac IIcx - Osborne 1 - ACT Sirius 1

Comment

As I have now had to change 9 ram chips in two Osbornes, makes me wonder if the PSU startup isn't healthy for them. Might be worth investigating a mod to ensure the supplies are brought up in the right order.
      Current fleet
      TRS80 Model 4 - BBC B - Tatung Einstein - PCW9512 - PET 3032 - C64 - ZX81 - Spectrum 48K - Amiga A500 - Apple II europlus - Apple iMAC G3. Sharp MZ-80K. - IBM 5160 XT - Multibus 286/10 - Micro PDP 11/73 - Rainbow PC100A - MicroVax II - MicroVAX 3100, 3300, VAX 4000 VLC & 4000 Model 96 - AlphaStation 225 Apricot PC - Apple Performa 6200 - Apple Mac IIcx - Osborne 1 - ACT Sirius 1

Comment

Ah, drive B doesn't work (not tested drive A yet, not sure how to change the drive select yet)

Wanted to write a CP/M system floppy before I put it all back together as the Gotek is going to go into my other Osborne but no joy.

At first it seemed it was just the carriage being a bit stiff, but after lubrication and exercising (The diag disk has an exerciser), it still won't format. Sits at track 0 and won't go any futher.

I'm not showing an Index pulse at pin 8 so that would seem to be the fault. Its a Siemens FDD100-5 drive mech with a custom Osborne board (why did they bother, unlike Apple, its basically a full Shugart interface, just with power on the ribbon cable, cant have saved much cost) but uses the standard photo index sensor. Can't see that being easy to source, hopefully its the logic on the board, but not time to check now. Off to work.

Current fleet

Comment

Originally posted by Gary C View Post
          Ah, drive B doesn't work (not tested drive A yet, not sure how to change the drive select yet)
          You can boot from the 2nd drive by hitting “ instead of Enter on boot- the second drive becomes A and first is B.

Comment

Ah, yes, I can set the Gotek as B, boot from it then test A as well.

Great idea, will give it a go.

Current fleet

Comment

No index pulses on Test point TP1/2

Think this might be the problem,

cant work out how it happened. It looks like its been overtightened (radial stress cracks around the bush) but probably stress working its way through age.

Gluing it back together with Araldite as thats strong (and all I have), but worried it wont penetrate the cracks and it will just fail when reinstalled. Will have to take it carefully.
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.
              Last edited by Gary C; November 14, 2021, 07:42 AM.
              Current fleet

Comment

Originally posted by agentb View Post

You can boot from the 2nd drive by hitting “ instead of Enter on boot- the second drive becomes A and first is B.
                It worked, but I hadn't clocked that it swaps A for B logically and formatted my diag disk before I got my head around it.

That must have caused some grief back in the day.
                Current fleet

Comment

There was a "Screen Pac" for the Osborne from the factory, that required some mods to the MB, and the addition of a RCA plug on the front panel.

Osborne One was my first computer, and I did the video, unfortunately don't remember all the details.
                  Larry

Comment

Yes, the screen pac isn't fitted to mine and the only one I have ever seen for sale was daft money. It plugs into the ROM and CPU sockets and changes the timings to allow the whole video port to be displayed.

Shame the circuit isn't available. Just seems to be a bit of logic and some RAM.

Anyone have a screen Pac to xray ?

Edit: just seen the ScreenPac circuit is in the service manual
                    Last edited by Gary C; November 15, 2021, 04:54 AM.
                    Current fleet

Comment

Damnit

Fixed the index sensor but it still wont format because one of the coils in the head is open circuit. Never seen it before but its the actual coil rather than the cable to the head.

So, its head swap time. I have a scrap completely different half height SSSD drive that looks to use exactly the same head and it was a simple job to pop it out of the carriage and install it instead of the original.
                      The cable though is twice as long and needs to be cut back, so I will need to get some unused pins to recrimp into the original connector and fingers crossed it will work.
                      Current fleet

Comment

Well !

Even I didn't think that was going to work !

But, new head installed, wired up and the machine is now happily formatting away

It was a PIG to strip down. Once the circlip on the drive helix was removed, a spring inside the stepper motor pushes the helix back against the dust cover and seizes the whole spindle. You need to prise the dust cover off to release the helix so that you can rotate it to withdraw it from the head carriage.

Then when reassembling, the stepper motor bearing protrudes from the motor and needs to engage with the hole in the chassis. Didn't notice this at first and could not work out why the circlip would not go back on.

Then the new head uses different colours and a 5 pin plug rather than the 6 pin, so needed to work out which core went to which head then put new pins on to go in the old plug housing and rebuild it all.

Just hope the second drive doesn't have the same problem as I am out of heads.

And just noticed. That was an hour and nineteen minutes to repair !
                        Current fleet

Comment

So (as the millennials say)

Keyboard is fully rebuilt. The gentle heating of the membrane seems to have successfully released the stuck down keypads and refitting the switches back on to the plate was a matter of melting the removed blobs back on to the stubs of the switches legs, which while time consuming was relatively easy.

The floppy head in the B drive wasn't open circuit, its just that Osborne not only used their own drive electronics, they also swapped around the pins on the head connector and I was testing between the wrong pins (doh!) but there must have been something not right with it as it worked as soon as the new head was fitted.

The A drive doesn't work either, but on this one, there is no activity at all at the head connector and looking back from the head connector, where the write gate merges with the write signal through a 3 input NOR gate, the output is always high no matter the inputs. So a few CD40025BE chips on the way (no longer manufactured in DIP format according to RS) and hopefully that will be the last fix this machine requires.

Anyone know how to convert a MFM HFE image into an FM image ? I can eventually once both machines are up and running, convert physically using floppies but as I am testing, I only have a few FM images and would like to use some of the other files I have, but they are MFM.
                          Current fleet

Comment

New 3 input NOR gate chip fitted and both drives now work. Aligned A by trial & error and both can boot from the same floppy but might need some fine tweaking in the future.

Its all but done and the keyboard is working great. I now have a small pile of dead I/C's from two Osborne's

I plan to fit the Gotek into the later unit as that has the double density card so can produce disks for both.
                            Current fleet

Comment

Very impressive all the debugging and fixing you did to get this Osborne sorted, wow! I can't believe one machine had so many different issues. I like my Osborne but a little bummed they can't do graphics, only text.

Comment

The number of failed ram chips makes
                                me think the Osborne psu is bringing up the -ve slightly late maybe and damaging them over time.
                                Current fleet

Comment

Working...
                                X