Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

CP/M or similar OS for 64K Z8002?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CP/M or similar OS for 64K Z8002?

I was going through my hellbox of ICs looking for something when I ran across a couple of Z8002 CPUs. Are ther any OSes (CP/M perhaps) for the small-model (64K) Z8000?
    Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

CP/M-8000? Get it from Gaby's page:

http://www.cpm.z80.de/binary.html#operating

Source code is available here:

http://www.cpm.z80.de/source.html

--T
    Teach your children how to think, not what, and hold 'em close, not tight.

Please visit the Vintage-Computer Wiki. Contributers welcome.

Comment

I took a peek at it, Terry--it's heavily segmented stuff, so won't work on the Z8002.

It's hard to think of 64K as "small" in terms of CP/M, but perhaps that memory space on the Z8000 architecture is just too small to do any useful work.

Ah well, back in the hellbox.

Comment

Segmented? UGH! Might as well just work with 8088 DOS...

--T

Comment

Hi
          The CP/M-8000 was made from CP/M-68K. This was all
          C code except the low level stuff.
          I was one of the people that got the code for the 8000
          running on my Olivetti M20.
          My understanding was that it was actually first written
          on a M20 at Zilog.
          You could always get a Z8001. They are quite similar for
          the pins. The trick would be to create the needed memory
          space.
          There isn't much low level code on Gaby's page but I could
          extract much of it from the library that I have on my M20.
          You'd need to disassemble it though, it is just an object
          code library.
          The notes on the source seem to indicate that it could be
          done in 256K of RAM but I suspect they are assuming that
          much of the machine access code is in ROM.
          I do think it could be done on a Z8002 with some bank
          switching tricks.
          The Z8002 can directly access 128K of RAM if you split
          the instruction and data spaces. The only disadvantage
          of doing this is that you'd need a way to mape the instruction
          memory into data space to load the RAM and then switch
          it back to the 128K mode to run the code.
          The M20 does this but handles it bu using different segments.
          One could do this with a bank switching trick on the Z8002.
          Dwight

Comment

Hi Dwight! I was thinking about a throw-together 64K system using what was in my hellbox. Not worth the trouble, considering that there's not much in the way of software applications for such a rig.

Back to the hellbox with 'em.

Comment

CP/M-80 or v2.2 (or whatever you want to call it) runs easily in 64k! I believe that Operating system will run on the 8080 systems as well as the Z80 systems. Okay so the Z8002 is a 16bit CPU which precedes the Z8001? No mention of CP/M for this Olivetti M20 which has a Z8001 processor - Olivetti wrote it's own Operating System call PCOS, perhaps worth checking out the Vintage Computer Museum to see if CP/M was made for those Zilog 16bit based processors.

Otherwise Emmanuel Roche maybe able to help - they've posted some stuff in here and seems to know a bit about the different forms of CP/M.

It be nice if those 16bit processors were all backward compatible with the Z80 processors - if that were the case, then a CP/M shouldn't have problems running in it - it would just need to be customised though.
              Generic and Amstrad CPC based Programs written in Turbo Pascal 3

Comment

The Z8002 is just as old as the Z8001. Zilog's approach was to offer two versions--one segmented, the other not that would fit in a 40 pin DIP. Seems in retrospect to be pointless--my Z8002s are are PLCC packages.

Regardless, the problem is once you get what passes for an OS going, what do you do for software? Do you run DDT all day and look at the pretty dumps?

My hope was that if there were some active non-seg Z8002 OS that there would also be some small amount of applications.

In fact, both Zilog and AMC offered Z80-to-Z8000 translation programs. Like the Intel 8080-to-8086 translator, it resulted in immediate bloat unless you were willing to hand-optimize the result. Much early MS-DOS code was auto-translated and tweaked 8080 CP/M code. I know that much of SuperCalc for the PC was, for example. Early (e.g. 3.3) versions of Wordstar for DOS probably also were.

But feh, with no software, what good is a CPU?

Comment

Chuck(G) wrote:

The Z8002 is just as old as the Z8001. Zilog's approach was to offer two versions--one segmented, the other not that would fit in a 40 pin DIP. Seems in retrospect to be pointless--my Z8002s are are PLCC packages.

Regardless, the problem is once you get what passes for an OS going, what do you do for software? Do you run DDT all day and look at the pretty dumps?

My hope was that if there were some active non-seg Z8002 OS that there would also be some small amount of applications.

In fact, both Zilog and AMC offered Z80-to-Z8000 translation programs. Like the Intel 8080-to-8086 translator, it resulted in immediate bloat unless you were willing to hand-optimize the result. Much early MS-DOS code was auto-translated and tweaked 8080 CP/M code. I know that much of SuperCalc for the PC was, for example. Early (e.g. 3.3) versions of Wordstar for DOS probably also were.

But feh, with no software, what good is a CPU?

I agree with that problem that if there's no support for that CPU, it's not worth pursuing, however I find it amazing that a CPU like that would get no support - after all Z80s were popular processors!

Comment

IIRC, the 8001, 8002s, etc were mainly used for specialized applications, such as telco switching equipment, etc.

--T

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Yager View Post
                      IIRC, the 8001, 8002s, etc were mainly used for specialized applications, such as telco switching equipment, etc.

--T
                      I think my Z8002s probably came out of a Cipher tape drive.

Comment

Yah, there just isn't a wide general-purpose software base for 'em. Course, if ya could get some flavor of CP/M running, the base becomes a lot broader. I'm not convinced that straight, natural, CP/M-80 couldn't be easily adapted, although it wouldn't be optimal for that CPU.

--T

Comment

Terry Yager wrote:

Yeah it seems that given the Olivetti M20 had the provision for two RS232 and Single IEEE-488. It's range of applications isn't limited though which includes, Word Processing, Spreadsheets, communications, general business packages plus specialized ones for lawyers, independent schools, surveyors, builders, electricians, scientises, engineers and statisticians!

Seems it would make a good Internet CPU!

Comment

How about a CP/M for a National PACE CPU?

Comment

newbie here!

It was my understanding that all the Z-xx CPUs were backward-compatible with the good-old z80...

If so, the only limitation to using cp/m-80 is configuring it to whatever hardware design one intends to use...

Confuzed, I am ?

Comment

Working...
                              X