Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Osborne 1 <--> PC over RS232

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You need to locate an Osborne specific copy of Ascom software and one for the XT. Ascom allows you to transfer files through the serial ports of two computers with incompatible disk formats.

Comment

Originally posted by fsaleh@auxilient.com View Post
      You need to locate an Osborne specific copy of Ascom software and one for the XT. Ascom allows you to transfer files through the serial ports of two computers with incompatible disk formats.
      My problem is to transfer the software to the Osborne: mine is SSSD so I can't make any disk using 22disk and an XT.
      Fortunately, both phogren and ldkraemer (Larry) sent me a floppy with some useful software. This way I think I will solve easily.

@phogren: the brazilian custom received your parcel, now it's just a matter of time. Sometimes it takes few days to be processed, sometimes few months... hoping it will be the first option

----->> UPDATE: Already processed by custom, I think It will arrive here monday or tuesday.

BTW: In the past I succesfully extracted files from the .IMD and/or .TD0 disk images I got from the web, but I don't remember how. Any clue about that? I don't remember how I did...

--Giovi
      Last edited by giobbi; August 5, 2016, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Giovi,
        To successfully extract files from a .IMD and/or .TD0 disk image I use cpmtools & libdsk. It's about the easiest way I know, other than actually creating
        a real floppy and doing it on a CP/M machine.

You will need the proper definition for your CP/M Disk Parameter Block for cpmtools & libdsk.

Larry

Comment

I looked up the Osborne tech manual and realized how bad the design was:

The floppies get power over the data cable - That's +5 and +12. So to swap drives you would have to make a modified 34 pin cable. That is to say the +5 and +12 volt lines cut or at least just left out of drive connector and those lines soldered to a standard floppy power cable.

The I/O is memory mapped in bank switched memory so any I/O requires calls to common memory where the I/O port is swapped in before it is read or written to then memory is swapped back to TPA bank.

Both a pain in the ass and a fantastic way to really slow down I/O.

I haven't had time to pull out my Turbo Pascal to write a load program. It would probably be easier to create disks with software on it and mail it to you.

I know that customs would slow it down but you would get more.

Let my know if you have any trouble with the modem software sent to you - If so I will just make a small stack of useful disks to send you.

Comment

Originally posted by ldkraemer View Post
            Giovi,
            To successfully extract files from a .IMD and/or .TD0 disk image I use cpmtools & libdsk. It's about the easiest way I know, other than actually creating
            a real floppy and doing it on a CP/M machine.

You will need the proper definition for your CP/M Disk Parameter Block for cpmtools & libdsk.

Larry
            Now it makes sense what you wrote me in a past email, I didn't know cpmtools. I will take a look, thank you.
            BTW still a mystery how did I extract files from image disks in the past... I'm quite sure I didn't use cpmtools...

Comment

Originally posted by Randy McLaughlin View Post
              I looked up the Osborne tech manual and realized how bad the design was:

The floppies get power over the data cable - That's +5 and +12. So to swap drives you would have to make a modified 34 pin cable. That is to say the +5 and +12 volt lines cut or at least just left out of drive connector and those lines soldered to a standard floppy power cable.

The I/O is memory mapped in bank switched memory so any I/O requires calls to common memory where the I/O port is swapped in before it is read or written to then memory is swapped back to TPA bank.

Both a pain in the ass and a fantastic way to really slow down I/O.

I haven't had time to pull out my Turbo Pascal to write a load program. It would probably be easier to create disks with software on it and mail it to you.

I know that customs would slow it down but you would get more.

Let my know if you have any trouble with the modem software sent to you - If so I will just make a small stack of useful disks to send you.
              Ok Randy, thank you; I believe the first floppy will be here in few days, customs already processed the parcel.

About FDD: yes, they are different from normal, PC standard, FDD ones.

Comment

Originally posted by giobbi View Post
                Ok Randy, thank you; I believe the first floppy will be here in few days, customs already processed the parcel.

About FDD: yes, they are different from normal, PC standard, FDD ones.
                Being different basically means try to keep. But if worst came to worst it means a modified cable would be needed to use a standard drive.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by phogren View Post
                  I sent a disk, unknown time to Brazil. I'm pretty sure it's SD. MDM740
                  Ok, I got the disk today and yes, it's SSSD; thank you for that!

So I tried to connect a DOS PC and the Osborne 1 together, but I had some troubles...

I tried a simple terminal mode, using Qmodem on the DOS side and MDM740 on the Osborne side.
                  On the Osborne I entered the Terminal mode typing the "T" command (but I tried the "E" command too, same result).

In short: what I type is not what appears on screen on the other side: i.e. when I type a key on the Osborne, I get three or four ascii chars on the PC.
                  Of course the X-Modem (called Christensen Protocol in the mdm740 guide, I didn't know that, LOL) doesn't work: it doesn't start.

The serial ports and cable are working, at least partially:
                  I can transfer an ascii file from PC to Osborne using Qmodem -> ascii upload (DOS) and PIP file.txt=RDR: (CP/M). NOTE: On Osborne I must to enter the diagnostic tool, run the serial port test, and press Enter twice ON THE DOS PC to "open"; It returns TEST FAIL at both speeds (300 and 1200) but when I exit the diagnostic tool and use the PIP command it work.
                  PIP transfer doesn't work if I don't run the diagnostic tool before.

I can't transfer a file from Osborne to DOS using PIP CON:=file.txt or PIP PUN:=file.txt (note that both CON: and PUN: are assigned to TTY.

I'm using a straight cable, since the cross one doesn't work at all. I tried two DOS PCs, same behavior.

Any idea?

Comment

I did some steps ahead...

I found that you must to enter in Qmodem and MDM740 and *then* connect the cable. This way, the terminal mode works.

Now I'm trying to transfer files from Osborne to PC.
                    In Qmodem I have some choices about XModem:

Xmodem
                    CRC Xmodem
                    Xmodem Relaxed
                    Xmodem-1K
                    Xmodem 1K/G

none of them seems to work. I get two different error messages, depending on the Xmodem type I choose:

TIMEOUT - no ACK
                    NAK received not ACK

Any idea?

Comment

I did some steps ahead...

I found that you must to enter in Qmodem and MDM740 and *then* connect the cable. This way, the terminal mode works.

Now I'm trying to transfer files from Osborne to PC.
                      In Qmodem I have some choices about XModem:

Xmodem
                      CRC Xmodem
                      Xmodem Relaxed
                      Xmodem-1K
                      Xmodem 1K/G

none of them seems to work. I get two different error messages, depending on the Xmodem type I choose:

TIMEOUT - no ACK
                      NAK received not ACK

Any idea?
                      It sounds like you have the wrong baud rate. Getting anything is good - even if it's garbage.

Just try a lower baud-rate on the PC side - I think it defaults to either 300 or 1200 baud.

Just keep typing on the Osborne side and adjusting baud rate on PC side.

You can make sure the Osborne serial port is good by disconnecting the cable and shorting pins 2 and 3 together. Then anything type on the keyboard should echo back to screen.

Randy

Comment

I agree on the baud rate. Try at 300 baud and increase later.
                        Remember that you don't need a null modem cable since the Osborne serial port is configured for a printer.

I'll fire up my Osborne if you are still not having any luck.

I would suspect a possible problem on the PC side.

If you can check between the PC and another computer to rule out any possible problems with the PC. Remembering that you might need a null-modem cable with a standard PC.
                        Kaypro 1,2,II,2X,10 Apple IIe Apple IIgs Commodore 128d, 64 IBM 5160 Ampro littleboard

Comment

Don't forget that the MDM740 program has the SET command:

SET - Set modem baud rate

and COMMAND: ? <RET>

Shows current settings.

and TCC - Toggle CRC/Checksum mode on receive

Larry

Comment

ok, it seems the COM port of my XT clone has some problem; I didn't noticed before that Qmodem is toggling ONLINE/OFFLINE quickly (monochrome monitor and low contrast on text...).

I tried with a WinME PC adjusting both computers at 300 baud, and finally I can transfer files (I didn't remember how slow is 300 baud, how did we download file from BBS at that speed??? LOL)

Tomorrow I will try to raise the speed, now it's 1.00 AM and I'm almost sleeping...

Thank you for now!

--Giovi

Comment

ok, it seems the COM port of my XT clone has some problem; I didn't noticed before that Qmodem is toggling ONLINE/OFFLINE quickly (monochrome monitor and low contrast on text...).

I tried with a WinME PC adjusting both computers at 300 baud, and finally I can transfer files (I didn't remember how slow is 300 baud, how did we download file from BBS at that speed??? LOL)

Tomorrow I will try to raise the speed, now it's 1.00 AM and I'm almost sleeping...

Thank you for now!

--Giovi
                              Fantastic and congrats.

Without modifying the Osborne you can run either 300 or 1200 baud, since you have 80K of space per disk 1200 baud will fill it up fast enough

1200 baud can fill an 80K disk in less than 12 minutes. But you can modify the baud rate generator as described in the technical manual:

http://history-computer.com/Library/...icalManual.pdf

One limit to speed is the serial port access is complicated and has a decent overhead in processing.

Randy

Comment

Outstanding!
                                Kaypro 1,2,II,2X,10 Apple IIe Apple IIgs Commodore 128d, 64 IBM 5160 Ampro littleboard

Comment

Working...
                                X