Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Osborne 1 <--> PC over RS232

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Osborne 1 <--> PC over RS232

Hi all,

I apologize if this question was already posted in past, but the search function didn't return a useful result...

I have an Osborne 1 with SS-SD disks. I would use the 22disk to transfer software from my IBM XT to the Osborne, but unfortunately 22disk only operate with SS-DD disks.

I decided to try the serial port transfer. I found this article:

http://www.toniwestbrook.com/archives/80

that's quite interesting, but unfortunately it isn't a fully step-by-step instruction.

Does anybody has some specific instructions for that? I know nothing about CP/M, and I was looking for some dummy-proof instructions, like:
    "1) type this on the DOS side... 2) type this on the Osborne side... You've done!"

In the specific, I don't know what software should I use neither on the XT (Telix? Laplink? Debug.com?), nor on the Osborne (PIP?).
    Also, I don't know how to set the com speed on the Osborne...

Thank you for you help!

Giovi

Just on the PC/XT side...Procomm or Telix should do the job. The Osborne side....hmm....Kermit? I managed to get my Kaypro talking to my PC with Kermit.

Tez
    ------------------------------------------------
    My vintage collection: https://classic-computers.org.nz/collection/
    My vintage activities blog: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/
    Twitter: @classiccomputNZ ; YouTube Videos: (click here)

Comment

It's not that 22Disk operates only with DD disks--it's that your XT controller is not capable of writing or reading SD (FM). Some third-party XT controllers are however.

Does your O1 have the DD mod installed, perchance? 22Disk can certainly write the SSDD floppies on your XT. The SSSD O1 floppies didn't hold much--about 90KB.
      Last edited by Chuck(G); July 29, 2016, 08:38 AM.
      Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

I've had pretty good results using OTERM by Michael Rubinstein on the OCC as a terminal, but I haven't tried to transfer files with it. I haven't gotten Kermit to work (but also haven't tried very hard.) The last Kermit version I tried turned both disk drive motors on and made the piezo buzz continuously. Strange and alarming.
        Last edited by ef1j91; July 29, 2016, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Serial port transfers require that you already have your Osborne booting, if so yes serial transfers are best since you don't have to find an old PC that handles SD.

There are lots of serial transfer programs. It is a chicken or the egg issue in getting software transferred the first time.

My favorite method to get software onto a CP/M machine the is to convert the program to ascii (bin2hex, unload, etc). This gives you 2 important abilities: Each line has a checksum which will let you know if there is an error and it's 7-bit so if the BIOS strips the 8th bit no biggie.

Often the serial port is referred to as RDR: and PUN: (paper tape reader and punch), I'm not sure if that's true with the Osborne. Assuming it is to transfer a hex file to the Osborne just use pip:

Start with a slow baud rate and set both the Osborne and the PC to the same speed, just use 300 baud - no reason to go faster and that helps to guarantee no lost characters.

On the Osborne side type "pip x:filename.hex=rdr:" where x is the desired drive (A or B) and filename is obviously the file name.

After the Osborne is ready on the PC side send the hex file via hyperterm or your favorite terminal emulater. Now just wait until done then type Control-Z on the PC side (Control-Z id end-of-file character for CP/M).

On the Osborne side pip should close and you should have the hex file.

Now just using the CP/M load program you can convert the HEX file to a COM file (ie load filename.hex)

Now you have a new program on the Osborne side.

My favorite serial file transfer program is move-it (http://www.cpm.z80.de/randyfiles/DRI/MOVE-IT.ZIP has CP/M-80, CP/M-86, and PC-DOS versions and manual).

Move-it can be controlled from either computer and can handle higher than 300 baud transfers (you have to experiment to find highest working baudrate).

Move-it is not for BBS type stuff but is a special purpose program to transfer files quickly between two computers near each other. It is menu driven with the ability to pull up directories of either computer from either computer and control everything from either computer.

The big trick is the chicken or egg issue to transfer programs first you must transfer a program.

Also note the MOVE-IT.ZIP file needs to be expanded on you PC first.

Move-it also requires a PC with a real serial port and not a USB to serial adapter. If that's not an option then you will need to use one of the many other programs.

Randy

Comment

No, it hasn't. Just SS-SD

Comment

Originally posted by Randy McLaughlin View Post
              Serial port transfers require that you already have your Osborne booting, if so yes serial transfers are best since you don't have to find an old PC that handles SD.

There are lots of serial transfer programs. It is a chicken or the egg issue in getting software transferred the first time.

My favorite method to get software onto a CP/M machine the is to convert the program to ascii (bin2hex, unload, etc). This gives you 2 important abilities: Each line has a checksum which will let you know if there is an error and it's 7-bit so if the BIOS strips the 8th bit no biggie.

Often the serial port is referred to as RDR: and PUN: (paper tape reader and punch), I'm not sure if that's true with the Osborne. Assuming it is to transfer a hex file to the Osborne just use pip:

Start with a slow baud rate and set both the Osborne and the PC to the same speed, just use 300 baud - no reason to go faster and that helps to guarantee no lost characters.

On the Osborne side type "pip x:filename.hex=rdr:" where x is the desired drive (A or B) and filename is obviously the file name.

After the Osborne is ready on the PC side send the hex file via hyperterm or your favorite terminal emulater. Now just wait until done then type Control-Z on the PC side (Control-Z id end-of-file character for CP/M).

On the Osborne side pip should close and you should have the hex file.

Now just using the CP/M load program you can convert the HEX file to a COM file (ie load filename.hex)

Now you have a new program on the Osborne side.

My favorite serial file transfer program is move-it (http://www.cpm.z80.de/randyfiles/DRI/MOVE-IT.ZIP has CP/M-80, CP/M-86, and PC-DOS versions and manual).

Move-it can be controlled from either computer and can handle higher than 300 baud transfers (you have to experiment to find highest working baudrate).

Move-it is not for BBS type stuff but is a special purpose program to transfer files quickly between two computers near each other. It is menu driven with the ability to pull up directories of either computer from either computer and control everything from either computer.

The big trick is the chicken or egg issue to transfer programs first you must transfer a program.

Also note the MOVE-IT.ZIP file needs to be expanded on you PC first.

Move-it also requires a PC with a real serial port and not a USB to serial adapter. If that's not an option then you will need to use one of the many other programs.

Randy
              After some tests, some help by Larry and almost an afternoon, I succesfully transferred an ASCII (asm source) file from PC to Osborne.
              The cable must be straight (not cross): 1<->1 , 2<->2, 3<->3, 7<->7

Now the worst part: I haven't neither ASM nor LOAD commands on my disks :-/

Any idea?

Comment

I just tried transfering a file from my Osborne 1 with mdm740 to a DOS based machine runnning qmodem. It worked fine. I had some trouble with a windows 7 running hyperterm because the xmodem protocol just wouldn't sink in checksum or CRC. I tried the dos machine with qmodem that has "relaxed" xmodem and it worked fine. Of course 1200 baud is the max. One good thing is that I didn't need a null modem cable between them. Send me a PM and I'll send you a copy of the disk. I'm pretty sure it's SD even though my Osborne has the DD conversion. I wrote the Osborne disk using IMD which said it's SS SD.
                Kaypro 1,2,II,2X,10 Apple IIe Apple IIgs Commodore 128d, 64 IBM 5160 Ampro littleboard

Comment

Originally posted by phogren View Post
                  I just tried transfering a file from my Osborne 1 with mdm740 to a DOS based machine runnning qmodem. It worked fine. I had some trouble with a windows 7 running hyperterm because the xmodem protocol just wouldn't sink in checksum or CRC. I tried the dos machine with qmodem that has "relaxed" xmodem and it worked fine. Of course 1200 baud is the max. One good thing is that I didn't need a null modem cable between them. Send me a PM and I'll send you a copy of the disk. I'm pretty sure it's SD even though my Osborne has the DD conversion. I wrote the Osborne disk using IMD which said it's SS SD.
                  Thank you, I write you by PM.
                  Disk must be SD, of course, or my Osborne won't read.

cheers,
                  Giovi
                  Last edited by giobbi; July 29, 2016, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by giobbi View Post
                    After some tests, some help by Larry and almost an afternoon, I succesfully transferred an ASCII (asm source) file from PC to Osborne.
                    The cable must be straight (not cross): 1<->1 , 2<->2, 3<->3, 7<->7

Now the worst part: I haven't neither ASM nor LOAD commands on my disks :-/

Any idea?
                    If you have any language that would be a start, do you have mbasic, or any basic? It would be trivial to write load in basic. If you have a language post what it is and we'll start from there.

If not then I can see about digging out my PC that does FM (sd) and mailing you a disk or two with stuff on it. The big part is crossing my fingers and hoping I can boot it up and have it work.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy McLaughlin View Post
                      If you have any language that would be a start, do you have mbasic, or any basic? It would be trivial to write load in basic. If you have a language post what it is and we'll start from there.

If not then I can see about digging out my PC that does FM (sd) and mailing you a disk or two with stuff on it. The big part is crossing my fingers and hoping I can boot it up and have it work.

Randy

Well, the only language I have is Turbo Pascal (2 disks). Would it help?
                      Giovi

Comment

Yes turbo pascal will work give a couple of days and I'll write something, I'll post it here.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by phogren View Post
                          I just tried transferring a file from my Osborne 1 with mdm740 to a DOS based machine running modem.
                          Is there a disk image with mdm740 available out there? I see references to overlays in the FOG archives.

Comment

Yes, it is in the FOG disks:

Copyright (1986) by First Osborne Group (FOG)

Filename CRC Description
                            -FOG/CPM.126: MDM740 - CP/M communications software
                            //CPM126.DOC: An overlay for your specific computer is required
                            /AUG/86 . : See the following disks for overlays
                            M7FNK .COM: 50 7C MDM740 internal function key editor
                            M7FNK .DOC: B2 EE Instructions for using M7FNK
                            M7LIB .COM: 12 AE MDM740 dialing library number editor
                            M7LIB .DOC: 27 D9 Instructions for using M7LIB
                            M7NM-1 .AQM: A3 17 Phone number overlay for MDM712 or earlier
                            M7NM-6 .ASM: 39 54 Phone number overlay for MDM740
                            M7RV-7 .AQM: 76 86 Racal Vadic VA2121PA modem dialing overlay
                            MDM740 .COM: D6 7E Uninstalled MDM740 distribution version
                            MDM740 .DOC: 27 5F Documentation and instructions
                            MDM740 .INF: F2 BC Description of features
                            MDMLNK .COM: BD A5 Self prompting program for installing overlays
                            MDMLNK .DOC: 7E 47 on MDM7, MEX, or IMP
                            FOG LIBRARY DISK

Filename CRC Description
                            -FOG/CPM.127: Overlays for MDM740 to adapt various computers
                            //CPM127.DOC: This disk is one in a series that supplements
                            /AUG/86 . : the MDM740 distribution files on FOG-CPM.126
                            M7A3-1 .AQM: A3 78 Apple /// softcard w/RS232 drivers
                            M7AC+3 .AQM: 7F 28 Apple-Cat // ALS CP/M card. CP/M+ or CPM2.2
                            M7AC-1 .AQM: 8C 18 Apple-Cat // (Vanilla flavored)
                            M7AD-1 .AQM: AF 29 ADDS Multivision
                            M7ADAM .AQM: 96 E0 Coleco Adam
                            M7AJ-1 .AQM: 42 E4 Apple J-Cat with Apple Super Serial card
                            M7AL-2 .AQM: A7 16 Altos Series 5
                            M7AP-6 .AQM: 94 06 Apple // with ALS, CCS 7710, SSM, CPS, Versacard
                            M7AQ-6 .AQM: 01 F7 Apple // w/6 MHz PCPI Applicard
                            M7AX-2 .AQM: AF 29 Actrix
                            M7CD-1 .AQM: A0 F7 Cromemco CDOS at port 50
                            M7CI-1 .AQM: 58 43 CCS 2718 S100 board
                            M7CO-1 .AQM: D6 77 Columbia 1502-2
                            M7CR-2 .AQM: 9D DE Cromemco
                            M7CU-1 .AQM: 1B 30 CCS 2820
                            M7CZ-3 .AQM: F5 4C CCS 2719 with Baud Rate Generator
                            M7DB-1 .AQM: B2 09 Dynabyte serial port 80H
                            M7DM-1 .AQM: D7 BC Dynabyte Monarch
                            FOG LIBRARY DISK

Filename CRC Description
                            -FOG/CPM.128: Overlays for MDM740 to adapt various computers
                            //CPM128.DOC: This disk is one in a series that supplements
                            M7DP-3 .AQM: 08 0D Datapoint 1650
                            M7DU-1 .AQM: F7 FB Durango series computers
                            M7EG-2 .AQM: 5D 28 Eagle IIE-2
                            M7EP-2 .AQM: E5 C1 Epson QX-10
                            M7FA-2 .AQM: 13 3F Franklin ACE w/dual interface card
                            M7GP-1 .AQM: 08 86 General purpose - based on 8251 I/O
                            M7H8-7 .AQM: F8 09 Heath/Zenith H89 or Z90
                            M7HP-1 .AQM: B3 C2 Hewlett Packard 125 series 100
                            M7HZ-1 .AQM: 91 7C Heath/Zenith H/Z 100/110 series
                            M7IM-2 .AQM: 4B 66 IMS computers
                            M7IN-2 .AQM: AA 8C CompuPro Interfacer 3 or 4
                            M7IO-1 .AQM: BF 39 Intersystems MIO board at 80H
                            M7JC-2 .AQM: 5A 04 Apple Super Serial card w/Novation J-cat
                            M7KP-2 .AQM: E5 69 Kaypro II (7/8 data, even/odd)
                            M7LB-2 .AQM: D0 92 Ampro Little Board series 100
                            M7LBD+ .AQM: 93 5F Ampro Little Board (even/odd parity version)
                            M7LO-2 .AQM: D0 7B Lobo Max-80
                            M7M4-1 .AQM: D5 A9 TRS-80 Model 4
                            M7MD-2 .AQM: 0F E1 Morrow Micro Decision MD3
                            FOG LIBRARY DISK

Filename CRC Description
                            -FOG/CPM.129: Overlays for MDM740 to adapt various computers
                            //CPM129.DOC: This disk is one in a series that supplements
                            M7-PBM .AQM: 08 0D Performance Business Machine
                            M7NA-1 .AQM: A8 22 North Star Advantage
                            M7NC-1 .AQM: 06 FB NCR Decision Mate V
                            M7NE-1 .AQM: D6 B9 NEC PC-8001
                            M7NH-2 .AQM: C4 78 North Star Horizon
                            M7NT-1 .AQM: 4C B0 Northern Telecom computer
                            M7OA-2 .AQM: 21 B3 Otrona Attache
                            M7OD-5 .AQM: DF 2F Osborne 1 w/Comm-Pac or CTS Datacomm modem
                            M7OS-2 .AQM: BA 54 Osborne 1 using RS232 port only
                            M7OV-1 .AQM: A8 21 Osborne Vixen
                            M7OX-1 .AQM: 4F 31 Osborne Executive
                            M7P1-1 .AQM: B9 22 PMC Micromate
                            M7PC-1 .AQM: 08 59 IBM PC with Baby Blue Z80 card
                            M7PM-2 .AQM: 0B 48 PMMI 103 S-100 modem
                            M7PP-4 .AQM: 3F 51 Pied Piper
                            M7PT-1 .AQM: 3C D2 Processor Technology SOL
                            M7QX@3 .AQM: 22 94 Epson QX-10 with VALDOCS
                            M7QY-1 .AQM: F0 F4 Quay computers
                            FOG LIBRARY DISK

Filename CRC Description
                            -FOG/CPM.130: Overlays for MDM740 to adapt various computers
                            //CPM130.DOC: This disk is one in a series that supplements
                            M7R1-3 .AQM: BD 03 TRS-80 Model I w/Omikron Mapper
                            M7R2-2 .AQM: BB 0D TRS-80 Model II/12 w/Pickles & Trout CP/M
                            M7R3-1 .AQM: BA 9F TRS-80 Model III w/Omikron or Model 4 w/CPM 2.2
                            M7R4+1 .AQM: AF 2F TRS-80 Model 4 with Radio Shack CPM+
                            M7R4-4 .AQM: 94 63 TRS-80 Model 4 w/Montezuma Micro CP/M 2.2
                            M7S1-1 .AQM: D6 CB Sanyo MBC-1100
                            M7SB-1 .AQM: CC 23 Intertec Compustar/Superbrain
                            M7SY-3 .AQM: 81 7B Sanyo MBC-1000 (requires hardware modifications)
                            M7TK-1 .AQM: 98 39 Teletek SystemMaster
                            M7TS-2 .AQM: 58 02 Toshiba EW-100/T-100/T-250/T-200
                            M7TV-9 .AQM: BA 14 Televideo TS-802/TS-803/TPC-1
                            M7TV-9 .DQC: C6 7D Notes on Televideo printer enabling
                            M7US-3 .AQM: B6 E8 US Robotics S-100
                            M7VG-1 .AQM: AC 35 Vector Graphics 3 and 4
                            M7VI-2 .AQM: 02 87 Visual 1050
                            M7VT-4 .AQM: F8 56 DEC VT180, Rainbow, Robin, and DECmateII w/ CP/M
                            M7XE-1 .AQM: 99 20 Xerox 820 and 820 II
                            M7ZB-4 .AQM: AB F0 Zorba
                            M7ZX-3 .AQM: 41 6B Zobex S-100
                            FOG LIBRARY DISK

Filename CRC Description

-FOG/CPM.131: Source code for MDM740 in 8080 assembler.
                            //CPM127.DOC: This disk is one in a series that supplements
                            NOTE: This disk is NOT required to configure or
                            MDM740 .ASM: 03 40 use MDM740 with your computer. It is supplied
                            as reference.
                            FOG LIBRARY DISK

http://www.znode51.de/fog/filelist.htm

When you unarc FOG12?.ARC you will get the FOG12?.LBR file. Then NULU152 or whatever Library Utility will access the files.

Larry
                            Last edited by ldkraemer; July 31, 2016, 03:32 AM.

Comment

I sent a disk, unknown time to Brazil. I'm pretty sure it's SD. MDM740
                              Kaypro 1,2,II,2X,10 Apple IIe Apple IIgs Commodore 128d, 64 IBM 5160 Ampro littleboard

Comment

Working...
                              X