Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Osborne 1 <--> PC over RS232

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim_Manley
    replied
    Hi,

Does anyone know how to boot an Osborne 1 via the serial port, as is apparently possible in BIOS v 1.3 (but was removed in v 1.4)? This supposedly doesn't require any software on a disk in either floppy drive, just initiating the process on the O1 via the keyboard in response to the power-on message saying to insert a disk into drive A and pressing Return. I've been looking for key combinations that can drop the O1 into a monitor mode, but the only thing I've found is how to boot from drive B (control-" or control-#, IIRC). The v 1.3 ROM assembly listing in the appendix in the O1 technical reference manual doesn't seem to have any comments about this capability.

Thanks,
    Jim

Leave a comment:

• giobbi
    replied
    I would like to thank the people who have kindly helped me in this thread; particularly ldkraemer (Larry) and phogren, who sent me the floppies with the needed software.

Thank you guys, this forum is terrific (as usual)!

Leave a comment:

• giobbi
    replied
    Originally posted by ldkraemer View Post
    Giovi,
    The ONLY way I know to access the .IMD & .TD0 files is with cpmtools (.IMD) and cpmtools w/libdsk (.TD0).

If you convert the .TD0 files to .IMD with the program TD02IMD (TD02IMD FILENAME.TD0) you will get FILENAME.IMD
    Now you just need cpmtools (binary for windows) and the Osborn definitions (I've already sent those) to access the files
    in the .IMD image.

If you want to work with the .RAW file versus an .IMD file, either of these two commands will create a .RAW file.

USE SAMDISK:
    samdisk test.imd test.raw

USE IMDU:
    IMDU file.imd file.raw /E /B

Now, you can just use cpmtools to access the files in the .RAW image.

man cpmls
    man cpmcp

GET A DIR:
    cpmls -f osb1 -d O1CPMS.RAW

COPY FILE FROM IMAGE:
    cpmcp -f osb1 O1CPMS.RAW 0:*.COM /home/larry/osb1

COPY FILE TO IMAGE:
    cpmcp -f osb1 O1CPMS.RAW README.TXT 0:README.TXT
    (where the first README.TXT is in the cpmtools directory, and the last README.TXT will be on the .RAW Image for User 0)

REMOVE A FILE FROM IMAGE:
    cpmrm -f osb1 O1CPMS.RAW README.TXT

Larry

Larry, thank you, it was *exactly* what I was looking for! I tried it, it works fine.

--Giovi

Leave a comment:

• ldkraemer
    replied
    Giovi,
    The ONLY way I know to access the .IMD & .TD0 files is with cpmtools (.IMD) and cpmtools w/libdsk (.TD0).

If you convert the .TD0 files to .IMD with the program TD02IMD (TD02IMD FILENAME.TD0) you will get FILENAME.IMD
    Now you just need cpmtools (binary for windows) and the Osborn definitions (I've already sent those) to access the files
    in the .IMD image.

If you want to work with the .RAW file versus an .IMD file, either of these two commands will create a .RAW file.

USE SAMDISK:
    samdisk test.imd test.raw

USE IMDU:
    IMDU file.imd file.raw /E /B

Now, you can just use cpmtools to access the files in the .RAW image.

man cpmls
    man cpmcp

GET A DIR:
    cpmls -f osb1 -d O1CPMS.RAW

COPY FILE FROM IMAGE:
    cpmcp -f osb1 O1CPMS.RAW 0:*.COM /home/larry/osb1

COPY FILE TO IMAGE:
    cpmcp -f osb1 O1CPMS.RAW README.TXT 0:README.TXT
    (where the first README.TXT is in the cpmtools directory, and the last README.TXT will be on the .RAW Image for User 0)

REMOVE A FILE FROM IMAGE:
    cpmrm -f osb1 O1CPMS.RAW README.TXT

Larry
    Last edited by ldkraemer; August 11, 2016, 04:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• giobbi
    replied
    Originally posted by krebizfan View Post
    You could try the utilities at http://www.z80.eu/cpmcomp.html which should open LBR files.
    Thank you, this site link to the "Unarchiver" (http://unarchiver.c3.cx/commandline) that extract correctly most .ARC and .LBR from the FOG archive.

That's all about FOG...

Now I only need to discover how to extract files from images IMD and TD0!

Leave a comment:

• krebizfan
    replied
    Originally posted by giobbi View Post
    Ok it makes sense; I also extracted the .LBR file from inside the FOG .ARC files on my PC, but I believed that .LBR was an image disk.
    Is there any DOS tool capable to manage these formats?
    You could try the utilities at http://www.z80.eu/cpmcomp.html which should open LBR files.

Leave a comment:

• giobbi
    replied
    Giovi,
    The squeezed type files that CP/M has are .ARC & .LBR. They are not IMAGE files and are not of DOS type. You can access them with
    UNARC for .ARC and NULU for .LBR. The FOG files that I have also downloaded are of type .ARC, but inside them is a .LBR file.
    So, I had to unarc the .LBR file and then access it to get MDM740.DOC.

You should also be able to use xmodem to transfer any .ARC or .LBE file from the PC to the Osborne 1.
    Ok it makes sense; I also extracted the .LBR file from inside the FOG .ARC files on my PC, but I believed that .LBR was an image disk.
    Is there any DOS tool capable to manage these formats?

And what about .IMD and .ID0 ?

Tomorrow morning during my free upload time, I'll send you some more utilities. I thought I had sent them previously, but maybe I
    didn't get around to it. They should be about everything you should need.
    If you mean the CPM-UTILS.ZIP with unarc, unload, nulu, etc., yes you sent me, no need to send again.

I sent you a .ZIP file of all the files on the O1CPMs.IMD for the Osborne 1. It has SETUP.COM for setting the default Baud Rate
    for your COM Port. Use Xmodem to transfer it to your Osborne 1 Floppy.
    Yep, I got it. I will look at it!

Your biggest problem is going to be the limited storage of the Floppy Drive. It would be better if you had Double Density Floppy's
    with twice the storage.
    Larry
    I'm trying to fix the other Osborne One I have. It has DD units, but it started with a problem on drive B: and now both units are "dead". I received today the Floppy controller IC (MB8877) from USA, thinking (and hoping) it was the culprit, but it isn't. So now I have to dig into schematics and see what's going on...
    Until then, only SSSD, unfortunately.

--Giovi

Leave a comment:

• ldkraemer
    replied
    Giovi,
    The squeezed type files that CP/M has are .ARC & .LBR. They are not IMAGE files and are not of DOS type. You can access them with
    UNARC for .ARC and NULU for .LBR. The FOG files that I have also downloaded are of type .ARC, but inside them is a .LBR file.
    So, I had to unarc the .LBR file and then access it to get MDM740.DOC.

You should also be able to use xmodem to transfer any .ARC or .LBR file from the PC to the Osborne 1.

Tomorrow morning during my free upload time, I'll send you some more utilities. I thought I had sent them previously, but maybe I
    didn't get around to it. They should be about everything you should need.

I sent you a .ZIP file of all the files on the O1CPMs.IMD for the Osborne 1. It has SETUP.COM for setting the default Baud Rate
    for your COM Port. Use Xmodem to transfer it to your Osborne 1 Floppy.

Your biggest problem is going to be the limited storage of the Floppy Drive. It would be better if you had Double Density Floppy's
    with twice the storage.

Larry
    Last edited by ldkraemer; August 11, 2016, 02:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• giobbi
    replied
    The .LBR files you can access with NULU152 or any other CP/M library utility. I can extract or add files from a .LBR also.
    This part left me a little confused. Nulu is a CP/M program; the .LBR file I have should be a disk image (I got it from the FOG list).
    I was trying to extract the content someway to my PC and transfer it to Osborne vie MDM740.
    If Nulu runs on Obsorne side, how can I use it if the image is on my HDD?

Leave a comment:

• giobbi
    replied
    Giovi,
    What are the filenames for the .IMD & .TD0 files that you are trying to access? If you send me the names, or files,
    I can extract the files for you and return a .ZIP that you can access from the PC.

The .LBR files you can access with NULU152 or any other CP/M library utility. I can extract or add files from a .LBR also.

Larry
    Larry, thank you for your offer; I'm not interested (not yet!) to a specific file or file image; I just want to learn how to do that...

Giovi

Leave a comment:

• ldkraemer
    replied
    Giovi,
    What are the filenames for the .IMD & .TD0 files that you are trying to access? If you send me the names, or files,
    I can extract the files for you and return a .ZIP that you can access from the PC.

Larry

Leave a comment:

• giobbi
    replied
    Thank you guys for the help. As usual, without your help I couldn't resolve. This forum is terrific!

For some reason, the problems I had yesterday seem to be vanished today and it works flawless at 1200 baud. Boooh.

---------------

So, after some test, I decided to transfer some files I got from the web to floppy SSSD by serial port.
    Of course nothing is easy... I'm trying to extract some files from image files (.IMD, .TD0 and .LBR from the FOG archive), without success.

I tried cmptools, no luck. Also 22disk, dsktool and teledisk didn't help a lot.... and I can't find useful infos on Google.

I found this page that seemed promisingly: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=112244 but I have to admit I found it very complicated.

I'm wondering if anybody wrote an easy tool (GUI?) or some easy step-by-step instruction about how to manipulate and/or extract files from a disk image, or put files on it...
    I mean: there's plenty of cpm disk image on the web... nobody felt the need to have a tool like this before?

Admitting there's an easy way to do that, any help or "dummy proof" guide about how to extract files from these three format (.IMD, .TD0 AND .LBR) would be very appreciated!

--Giovi

Leave a comment:

• phogren
    replied
    Outstanding!

Leave a comment:

• Randy McLaughlin
    replied
    Originally posted by giobbi View Post
    ok, it seems the COM port of my XT clone has some problem; I didn't noticed before that Qmodem is toggling ONLINE/OFFLINE quickly (monochrome monitor and low contrast on text...).

I tried with a WinME PC adjusting both computers at 300 baud, and finally I can transfer files (I didn't remember how slow is 300 baud, how did we download file from BBS at that speed??? LOL)

Tomorrow I will try to raise the speed, now it's 1.00 AM and I'm almost sleeping...

Thank you for now!

--Giovi
    Fantastic and congrats.

Without modifying the Osborne you can run either 300 or 1200 baud, since you have 80K of space per disk 1200 baud will fill it up fast enough

1200 baud can fill an 80K disk in less than 12 minutes. But you can modify the baud rate generator as described in the technical manual:

http://history-computer.com/Library/...icalManual.pdf

One limit to speed is the serial port access is complicated and has a decent overhead in processing.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• giobbi
    replied
    ok, it seems the COM port of my XT clone has some problem; I didn't noticed before that Qmodem is toggling ONLINE/OFFLINE quickly (monochrome monitor and low contrast on text...).

I tried with a WinME PC adjusting both computers at 300 baud, and finally I can transfer files (I didn't remember how slow is 300 baud, how did we download file from BBS at that speed??? LOL)

Tomorrow I will try to raise the speed, now it's 1.00 AM and I'm almost sleeping...

Thank you for now!

--Giovi

Leave a comment:

Working...
X