Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Intertec SuperBrain ROM Dumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's my implementation of the TMS2716C reader for modern programmers.

IMG_0848.jpg

That's the Superbrain ACT HDD ROM sitting in the socket. Guess what I found when I attempted to read it in my TOP853 programmer?

SuperBrain V3.1 ACT HDD ROM.zip

Yep, looks like bit rot hasn't got it yet. And in this ROM we can see the following strings:
    • "3.1 INSERT DISKETTE INTO DRIVE ", and (this is the money shot...)
    • "PRESS 'F' TO BOOT FROM FLOPPY, ANY OTHER KEY TO BOOT FROM HARD DISK"

The content might not be complete, but there it is.
    Last edited by JonB; April 13, 2017, 06:53 AM.

Comment

That's nice to see! There's hope yet! Have you ever been in touch with that guy in the Netherlands who worked during the 1980's customising Superbrains with non OEM HDs and controllers, forget his name - seemed very knowledgeable if slightly reticent.

Comment

I'm guessing the answer will be yes as a google search led me back here to a long post and a guy named Roland Huissman. Seemed quite the expert, wonder what he'd have to say about your non standard HD setup?

Comment

Very nice JonB!

What is that adapter board (the PCB itself?)... Looks like something cool to know about.

Sorry for my delay in reply, but it looks like you have everything sorted out very nicely. Your schematics are very small thumbnails. Any chance to get a slightly higher resolution copy? Might not matter as it seems like you've confirmed they work.

Are you planning on any runs of the 2816 adapters? If so I might be interested.

Also, I have to apologize but I really don't remember what EPROM we used in the reader config to read the 2716. I would guess it was either 2516 or 2816. I remember we looked up pinouts of similar size and vintage EPROMs. I guess that you don't need that info, as it appears you read yours already.
          -Todd
          Always read my posts with the highest tone of sarcasm your brain can muster.

Comment

Hi Todd

The board is a Z80 shim I designed for the uIDE general purpose Z-80 IDE adapter card, hacked about a bit. Read all about it here:

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/UIDE...Z-80_computers

..and I will offer these cards to Superbrain owners with suitable drivers, once I have got mine running. Yes, you too can have a whopping 128MB of HDD space available to your Superbrain, maybe, for peanuts. Better days are at hand for Superbrain owners...

To the TMS27C16 adapters, then. I designed a proper PCB for both host and programmer adapters and sent them to OSH Park for fabrication. There's only three of each at this stage and they are (mostly) spoken for, but it's easy enough to get more. I would need to make sure they work properly first.. and fit; the host adapter doesn't really have enough space inside the Superbrain, unless the original socket is fully removed and the adapter is soldered into its position, but even then..

You're correct in that I have read my EPROM and it is OK (this is the special ACT HDD ROM). I posted a copy of the dump earlier on. To do this I set the programmer to a 2816 EEPROM and read. Worked first time, with the "red board" adapter (prototype). Since then I hacked up a host adapter out of pin header strips and jump wire, programmed a 2816, shoved it in the Brain's EPROM socket and attempted boot. Naturally, it didn't work! Not becasue the ROM is bad, or the adapter, but because the Brain is sick.

I have a Z80-ICE here and I can see that memory access is not working properly. I suspect it is something to do with the ROM paging logic. Do you know anything about it? I've been working with ldkraemer on this, he has been looking out for useful info and came up with this stuff from comp.os.com:

Superbrain Lobotomies.zip

In it a chap called Warren W. Gay muses about the EPROM of the Superbrain and how it works with the first and second CPU. I've not read it all, but I am very keen to work out how the memory paging is triggered (probably via I/O ports), then I can check mine is OK. It's frustrating, because all this has been done before, but the information seems to have been lost.

If you have any information on this, please let me know as I am at a bit of a standstill. The schematic confuses me!

Cheers
            JonB
            Last edited by JonB; April 19, 2017, 12:28 AM.

Comment

That shim is awesome. I'll read more on that later.

Awesome on the adapters, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

I've also noticed the tolerance issues with this computer, so definitely interested to see the fitment of your adapter once it's done.

Sadly, I don't know anything about the ROM paging logic at this point. Thanks for the link to the Lobotomies. Good name, too. Hahha

Also, I wanted to cross-post to the other thread where we talked about ROM dumping on the SuperBrain... I posted a link to THIS thread, but not the other way around: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...p-10-Years-On/

See ya.
              -Todd
              Always read my posts with the highest tone of sarcasm your brain can muster.

Comment

Thanks Todd.

It's quite simple, really, but incredibly useful, sometimes. I'll post pictures of the ROM adapters once I receive them and build one of each.

Meanwhile, I contacted the author of the "Superbrain Lobotomies" posts on comp.os.cpm and he has kindly put his ROM disassembly onto github here: https://github.com/ve3wwg/superbrain_lobotomies

..in case anyone out there can use the information.

Comment

Superbrain ROM adapter board.. This is the adapter that allows use of a 2816 EEPROM on the Superbrain motherboard without modifying any tracks on the Superbrain. It's based on the reader design presented by EagleTG and dmemphis on this thread.

The bare board.
                  IMG_0876.jpg

Top view, assembled.
                  IMG_0871.jpg

Bottom view, assembled.
                  IMG_0872.jpg

In situ with CPU2 on the right.
                  IMG_0873.jpg

With a 2816 fitted.
                  IMG_0874.jpg

This rig is not going to fit as-is with the case closed. For that, I think you would need to remove the ROM socket from the motherboard and solder the adapter directly (in the picture it is plugged into the socket). You may also need to solder the 2816 directly to the adapter to save a few more millimetres. I've done a quick trial and it may be OK without removing the socket, but it would need some finessing in the assembly stage.
                  Last edited by JonB; May 4, 2017, 03:18 AM.

Comment

TMS27C16 reader adapter board.

IMG_0875.jpg

P3 has the tiny voltage converter module soldered to it. U1 is the 7905 5-12v regulator. As the current requirement is so low, I think we can get away with a smaller device such as a 79L05 (which I will be testing). I'm waiting for some of these modules to arrive from China before attempting to build one - don't fancy desoldering it from my prototype (the red board).

Once built, you would use this to retrieve the content of your Superbrain ROM using a modern programmer, and setting the programmer for a 2816 EEPROM.

There are only three of each type of board at the moment and I think they are all promised out.
                    Last edited by JonB; May 4, 2017, 03:29 AM.

Comment

Nice work!
                      My double socket plus 2816 IC fits under the case with only a slight impingement.
                      Your adapter should even be less, though it might touch.
                      Its a feature, it holds it in place!
                      http://abitoutofplace.wordpress.com/

Comment

I've just acquired a SB II board which I am attempting to nurse back to health. It has a boot ROM labelled 4.2, which appears to be working. Will upload a dump presently.

Comment

Turns out I already had a copy of this ROM. It came from zippysticks' SB II.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Here's the UK spec (50Hz) Superbrain II 4.2 ROM
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X