Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Battery Powered Osborne 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Powered Osborne 1

Someone in the #vc IRC channel didn't believe that I had the battery kit for the Osborne. Up until recently I also didn't know. I thought it was third party but apparently THIS was an official battery kit for the Osborne. You get a rigid pleather case with a 12v sealed cell and a cigarette plug on the side for charging and use (I've rebuilt it with two new 6v sealed gel cells in series) and that little Osborne branded box which is an AC inverter with just enough power to run an Osborne from the 120V input, not from the "battery" port on the front. It also features a "low battery" buzzer and there should be a lamp on it but as you can see it has gone missing.

http://minuszerodegrees.net/temp/4/t...5715321732.jpg - Thank you for hosting this modem7.

https://i.imgur.com/AVfLFPG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/GV3EVpz.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jyXg81o.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yYdhJwA.jpg
    Last edited by NeXT; March 11, 2018, 11:50 AM.
    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

I had one many years ago. Same as the pictures

Comment

it doesnt plug into the "battery" port on the front?

Comment

It does not, hence why I thought it wasn't the official Osborne accessory.
        [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

= Excellent space heater

Comment

Portable Power

PROFESSIONAL
          FOR THE OSBORNE 1
          • 3 HOUR + OPERATING TIME WITH UNIQUE AUDIO/ VISUAL ALARM
          • 3 - 4 TOTAL RECHARGE TIME
          • OVER 1000 DISCHARGE/CHARGE
          FIRST QUALITY AMERICAN MADE NI-CAD CELLS

POWER SYSTEMS

This was a ad for a portable power unit for the Osborne 01. The image did not copy. It connected to the 9 pin Batt connector.

Comment

Wow, that is awesome!
            Compaq - It simply works better

Comment

very nice that you have a complete working set. I need to rebuild the external (and internal) battery packs for the kaypro 2000 I have.

Comment

Originally posted by ppcmini View Post
                Portable Power

PROFESSIONAL
                FOR THE OSBORNE 1
                • 3 HOUR + OPERATING TIME WITH UNIQUE AUDIO/ VISUAL ALARM
                • 3 - 4 TOTAL RECHARGE TIME
                • OVER 1000 DISCHARGE/CHARGE

POWER SYSTEMS

This was a ad for a portable power unit for the Osborne 01. The image did not copy. It connected to the 9 pin Batt connector.
                Jesus I would love to see a photo of that. Three hours on something like an Osborne is insane with Ni-Cd.

Edited: Hmm. Reading modem7's scanned image above it occurs to me that the front battery socket could not possibly power the Osborne. While there are nine pins available only one is used for +5, another for +12 and another two for ground. The current draw on the +5 rail alone would roast that one pin pretty fast. The combined load on +5 and +12 returning on the ground pin would very quickly set it alight. It's impossible that you can power the entire machine from that port. Now, on the other hand if all the battery is doing is keeping the CPU and ram alive while you move from one place to another I think I can see what they were trying to do. A battery plugged into the front wouldn't actually let you USE the machine, but keeps the core system and anything you were working on alive until you can find another outlet to plug into.
                Last edited by NeXT; March 11, 2018, 11:39 AM.

= Excellent space heater

Comment

NeXT

I will send hou the pdf.

Comment

Yee-haw! Awesome Power-PAC. I've never seen one before.

Comment

I interviewed Lee Felsenstein extensively for my 2015 book "Abacus to smartphone: The evolution of mobile and portable computers" (www.abacustosmartphone.com). As others in this thread noted, POWR-PAC is real. There was also a company called Bits Inc. (in Dallas, Texas) which sold a 13-pound car battery attached to a roller handle (such as on a modern suitcase). They advertised in InfoWorld magazine and promised up to four hours of use.

I asked Lee about the unused battery port on the computer's front panel. He said, "We thought of putting the batteries in the mostly empty keyboard section, but their weight would have been significant (the Osborne drew about 40W of power), and the liability that comes with batteries was particularly unattractive to the company."
                      @ Founder, Vintage Computer Federation -- resigned Dec. 2019
                      @ Author, Abacus to smartphone: The evolution of mobile and portable computers
                      @ My homepage
                      @ My Lego Robotics Page

Comment

Originally posted by ppcmini View Post
                        Portable Power

PROFESSIONAL
                        FOR THE OSBORNE 1
                        3 HOUR + OPERATING TIME WITH UNIQUE AUDIO/ VISUAL ALARM
                        3 - 4 TOTAL RECHARGE TIME
                        OVER 1000 DISCHARGE/CHARGE

POWER SYSTEMS

This ad and photo can be found in The Portable Companion, July 1983, page 84. Thank you for the heads up, ppcmini.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...borne_batt.png

= Excellent space heater

Comment

There is one of those Osborne 12V-AC adaptors on ebay currently, but shipping is the cost of a machine (for me)

Comment

Working...
                          X