• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

WordStar easter egg?

Terry Yager

Veteran Member
tyger
New Kid on the Block posted January 07, 2004 09:41 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I found this a long time ago, when I was using the CP/M OS. To view my egg, you'll need:

an old computer running CP/M, or a CP/M emulator running on modern equipment.

WordStar v. 3.3 for CP/M

a copy of DDT.COM, CP/M's debugger

To view the egg, open DDT and load in the WordStar overlay WSOVLY1.OVR with a command like this:

DDT WSOVLY1.OVR

When DDT comes up, you'll see the DDT prompt like this:

-

At the - prompt, type the DDT command "D100" (without the quotes), this is the "dump" command starting at address 0100h. It will then dump the memory at that address to the screen in Intel Hex format and in ASCII. Look on the right side of the screen (at the ASCII dump) and you'll see the words "NOSEY, AREN'T YOU?"

I know this egg is kinda on the geeky side, but it's there for anyone who wants to view it.
This was obviously put there in an attempt to discourage anyone from "reverse engineering" the WordStar program.

IP: Logged

Capital C
Old Timer posted January 08, 2004 09:04 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is also a feature in Ken Silverman's BUILD engine. He's got a load of messages you can see if you hex edit the engine (one of them being "Don't screw with my name"). I don't really think it's an egg (no real personal significance) but it's very cool nonetheless.
------------------
This post brought to you by Capital C: Driving people crazy since 1990.

--T

Back