Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

NEC V20 and CP/M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, hey, I didn't mean to criticize anyone. Sorry, if it looked that way.
    I was just curious why back in these days -when CP/M still played a vital role- CP/M Plus or MP/M weren't so popular.
    There's no reason to feel urged now to retrofit anything.. Also, 22Nice is fine the way it is, imho.

(My first CP/M machine had CP/M Plus, whereas my father used to use the previous versions..
    We still have got some old 1970s issues of "Popular Electronics" floating around, introducing that hot piece
    of software named Control Program/Monitor. )

I wonder if Woz still gets questions about the Apple II.
    I don't know. But I bet some people keep asking him about the Apple I..
    Last edited by Jo22; May 30, 2019, 08:48 PM.
    "Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
    In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." -The Minstrel

Comment

Compupro sold a decent number of units with MP/M. The price of $1000 might have been a bit daunting for wide spread use compared to the $175 for CP/M-80 or $300 for CP/M-86 let alone the $40 for PC-DOS. That was Compupro pricing in 1983; other vendors might have different prices.

CP/M Plus had a good career but it was mostly with lower cost systems outside the US so got ignored in the US. Most of the interesting CP/M Plus software such as with the Amstrad were quite late to market and largely machine specific. Just as an example, see https://cpcrulez.fr/applications_util-new-word.htm Clicking on the memory requirement will bring up lists of other programs needing that much memory. It is a fast way to see the 128k and 256k Amstrad penetration. Probably similar lists for other super CP/M computers but I have not found those yet.

Woz gets interviewed every year about some aspect of the Apple II. As long as he enjoys doing them, good for him.

Comment

When MP/M came out, I think it's a fair estimate that the most common "full up" machine had 64K of RAM; probably 4116 type DRAMs. MP/M would not have done well. There was no standard for bankswitching; everyone did their own thing. For example, on the Durango F85, we ran the top 6 bits of the CPU address through a Fairchild 64x9 bipolar SRAM--translation speed was a big issue as we were using a 8202 DRAM controller.

That gave you up to 256K of memory space (we didn't use the 9th bit), mappable in 1K blocks. It was elegant and we used it to good advantage in our own software. It wasn't what MP/M was designed to use, although it was possible to use it--but then, we didn't design our system to run MP/M (or CP/M). We had our own multitasking OS.

In short, this wasn't the era of standardized conventions, as you see in the PC or Mac world. There were some wild differences between vendors.

For multitasking, there was also the one-CPU-per-user mode, as one might find on a Molecular system. The "master" CPU handled I/O, but otherwise, each user had his own 64K address space. In a bus-oriented system, such as S100 or Multibus, this makes a lot of sense. Again, not something that MP/M was designed to.

Comment

Well, the "canonical" MP/M system would have been the Altos Sun Series 8000, later called the ACS 8000. With MP/M being available in 1979, and TI's first 4164's in late 1978, machines like the ACS 8000 (available late 1979) could have used 4164's......

I once had an ACS 8000-10; I set up MP/M on it for use by my uncle's local TV repair shop, who used it until he sold it and retired in 1989. I don't recall which RAM it used right off hand, but searching on images of the ACS 8000, it would seem 4116's are in use; reference http://www.retrocomputing.net/parts/...-10_inside.jpg for a documented max RAM of 208k. (I count 13 columns of 8 chips; 13*8 chips = 104; 104 4116's = 208k.)

The Altos 580 I have now has 192k, and it does use 4164's, but it has a much smaller PC board than the monster used by the ACS 8000-10, which completely covered two side by side 8-inch floppy drives.
          --
          Thus spake Tandy Xenix System III version 3.2: "Bughlt: Sckmud Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!"

Comment

Working...
          X