• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Did anyone here get this?

I got it :D

I am just starting on it and this is my first kaypro so moving slow.

Someone modded a hell out of it. It has got two daughtercards plugged into CPU and FDC sockets. CPU one has battery, so I its a clock. FDC one is for 3 DD drives. It also has Micro Sphere RAM disk with 1 MB memory onboard and separate power supply WITH NiCD BATTERIES (4 size D) in semi-broken holder tied to the bottom with a rope. It also got sort of composite video out I assume coming from small daughtercard from underneath the MB. The system ROM is Micro Cournucopia 8 v3.3. There are several DIP parts fitted on top of anothers with soldering and bending. There are few wires added among those additions.

The system came with doughtercards unsocketed rattling around with bent pins, few wires on MB were torn. I re-soldered the wires that had their destination obvious, there still is one that I am not sure where it should connect, it appears it was not soldered but fitted under a pin into one of sockets. After reassembly of daughtercards and wires the system does show ROM banner screen when a front 3 position switch is in first position, and appears completely frozen at other positions of the switch. It failed to boot any disks I created for it, but I have not yet looked into drives.

The keyboard appears to be defective, it produce a lot of random noises and randomly turns on/off caps lock light. I have not opened it yet either.

IMG_0547.jpg

Very nice! I’d say you got a pretty good deal on that Kaypro also. Hope you can get it working fully! Definitely post a thread with any help you may need for it, as I’m sure there is a few around here that would know.

I too recently got my first Kaypro, however mine is the opposite from yours, as it’s untouched in the way of upgrades or mods:

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?69693-Kaypro-II-repairs

That Kaypro is definitely something special. Looks like who ever owned that back in the day knew exactly what they wanted from their computer.
I'd also love to see a thread once you get it all up and running properly.

Well, I do not mean to turn this thread into blog, but this might be an important reminder to lucky recipients of heavily modded vintage systems. I will put it in a words of original Micro Cornucopia readme file:

* CAUTION **** CAUTION **** CAUTION **** CAUTION **** CAUTION **
When working on the drive cables (NEAR THE SWITCHING POWER SUPPLY),
please disconnect the power cord from the power jack located at the
rear of the cabinet. Switching power supplies are touchy creatures.

Translating to fresh personal experience :) : if you are not careful, you are going to be zapped with 120V. See attached photo for reference:
0513192127.jpg

Yikes! Did you actually get shocked by it?

I managed to get shocked twice during the restoration on my Compaq Portable...... first was working too close to the PSU while plugged in, and the second was from adjusting the pots on the CRT with my fingers! Those pots can zap you!

However, I’ve learned from my mistakes, and haven’t been shocked since.

On a side note, I was just typing a pretty basic program into my Kaypro, I was almost done, but wanted to take a break, so I went to save to disk, it had an error and I lost EVERYTHING! Damn it! Have to start over now, but I will save it more often this time, so I don’t loose so much if something happens.

Its reassuring to know I am not alone to get zapped without dire consequences. I was scared from my childhood of electrocution because my grandfather died in live wire contact accident. Now two of us are living proof that there is a life after electric shock.

Sorry about your lost work, thats the life with floppies. Continuing the evening of memories theme, I once lost my whole masters thesis the day before defense by accidentally formatting the only floppy with complete content. Right before printing out the final copy to be presented to the board. The thesis was re-typed during the rest of the day from paper fragments by two kind souls, but that was life threatening experience for sure.

Back