• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Kaypro 2X Drive Failure

ebp

When I received my Kaypro 2X, I made a boot disk on a MS-DOS PC with IMD and booted the Kaypro. It booted maybe twice before Drive A quit working. The motor would spin until the door was closed and then it would stall. I swapped drive B for A and got the machine booting again. I found a replacement drive on eBay and the seller bought it for me! Yay! But what to do with the failed drive?

The drive is a Toshiba FDD 5406.

Front:
20200702_163636.jpg
Model info:
20200702_163651.jpg
Top view:
20200702_163717.jpg
Bottom view:
20200702_163704.jpg

I was inspecting the motor drive board (the one under the platter with the timing marks - see Bottom view) when I noticed that most of the electrolytic capacitors had corrosion on their leads.
20200702_163356.jpg.

I pulled the board, removed the capacitors, and replaced them with new ones and now the motor doesn't stall! Even better, it actually booted the Kaypro! Now I have a spare in case one of the others fails. This might be old news, but if you have a drive with a motor that doesn't spin under load, there might be an easy fix.

Erik

Hi Erik, I've got the very same Toshiba drive and the very same issue (corroded leads on the motor drive caps). I can't figure out how to remove the motor drive board, can you give me some tips? Much appreciated!

Six months late. Life intruded into hobby time. To remove the motor drive board, I had to remove the motor cover. The screws were very tight. One was destroyed and had to be drilled-out. You can see it is missing in the picture. I don't recall any other difficulties. I'm sure the missing screw creates a tiny imbalance but it didn't seem to affect the drive performance.

Back