• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

8080 programming book recommendation

alank2

Veteran Member
Is there an online PDF for a good book to learn 8080 assembly programming? I know the intel manual covers the instructions, but I'm looking more for something like a best practice type of thing like, here is the best way to do a loop with these registers, etc.

One of the most detailed books can be found on the internet by searching for its name plus PDF.
  • 8080A/8085 Assembly Language Programming by Lance A. Leventhal

And don't overlook Z80. For the bulk of the fundamentals, it's not that different. And there's a LOT of Z80 stuff available. Just have to be careful with the mnemonics.

The best way, in my own opinion, to learn about programming a given architecture, is to study old code. Given that the 8080 is nearly 50 years old, there would seem to be a mountain of it out there.

The best way, in my own opinion, to learn about programming a given architecture, is to study old code. Given that the 8080 is nearly 50 years old, there would seem to be a mountain of it out there.

I'd think CP/M source code would be the most useful. It not only show best practices, it also shows how CP/M uses register.
Dwight

Back