• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Kaypro S-BASIC

w1ngs

I'm searching high and low for a copy (hardcopy or digitized) of the Kaypro manual for S-BASIC (also interested in the original cryptic manual from Topaz).

I see the odd hardcopy for sale online has occurred, and there is presently one as a group of books but they're asking an awful lot and I only need the one.

Does anybody have a copy they might spare? Or perhaps a digital copy to share?

(I searched here and found an old thread from 2007/08 but it reached no conclusion on finding a manual).

I'm searching high and low for a copy (hardcopy or digitized) of the Kaypro manual for S-BASIC (also interested in the original cryptic manual from Topaz).

I see the odd hardcopy for sale online has occurred, and there is presently one as a group of books but they're asking an awful lot and I only need the one.

Does anybody have a copy they might spare? Or perhaps a digital copy to share?

(I searched here and found an old thread from 2007/08 but it reached no conclusion on finding a manual).

Surprised that the Internet Archive didn't have a copy.

But there's one that's part of a set on eBay now (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ka...Bundle-LOT-and-19-Pieces-BIG-LOT/254897952443)

Nothing on the archive, nothing on Bitsavers, and other places too. (I found just about every other imaginable manual though, and have saved what I could find.)

The link you shared seems a little bit better deal than the one I originally found, so I'll see how that goes, thanks!

I have the OEM manual; give me some time and I will scan it. Programming on the Kaypro is a whole lot nicer with SBASIC than with MBASIC, although the documentation is more sparse and a little less specific (as I recall...)

-CH-

Hi gertk: I found that same zip file a while ago and have been studying it.

dlh333: I very much appreciate your help, but before you go scanning, I'd like to let everyone know that I just found an original manual and bought it. It should be here in a week or so!

I have the OEM manual; give me some time and I will scan it. Programming on the Kaypro is a whole lot nicer with SBASIC than with MBASIC, although the documentation is more sparse and a little less specific (as I recall...)

-CH-

Don't forget BBC basic for CP/M: it also offers structured programming with procedures and functions and even includes an assembler.
It is also much faster than S-Basic, alas it does not offer the option to make (almost) standalone programs.

Don't forget BBC basic for CP/M: it also offers structured programming with procedures and functions and even includes an assembler.
It is also much faster than S-Basic, alas it does not offer the option to make (almost) standalone programs.

Speed is a relative concept; a 2 MHz Kaypro with SSDDs doesn't do anything very fast (IMHO).

-CH-

Based on reading all this, I did some experiments with S-BASIC on my Kaypro 4/83.

I took some simple MBASIC programs and converted them to S-BASIC. I wrote up what I found here.
I also showed on of the programs that I converted, before and after, here.\

S-BASIC is really nice actually. But its competition was Turbo Pascal - which was so much nicer to develop in.

Back