• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Osborne OCC1 Display power?

wheagy

Experienced Member
I have an OCC1 that powered on and requested a disk. I don't think I have the correct floppy for it (should a Kaypro or Northstar disk work?). Anyway, that is a secondary issue at the moment. The floppy drive seemed to do nothing but spin when I put in a floppy so I opened it up to look inside. It opened easily and I wanted to be sure it was clean and the cables were at least seated properly. Everything looked good, so I powered up again and now the display does not come on. I don't even see a glow in the CRT, however, hitting return spins the floppy again so I'm thinking the display is out. I also tested for proper voltages at the power supply and that looked ok.

I'm wondering how the high voltage AC gets to the display circuitry? All I see is the edge connector on the back of the display assembly that connects to the motherboard. Is this where the high voltage comes in? The gauge of the wire seems very small for that and seems odd that it would be powered from the motherboard? Just wondering if I'm missing something simple. Is there another fuse on the display assembly? Next step would be to rip everything apart to see all parts of the display but trying to avoid that if possible.

Thanks,

Win

Actually, never mind. :/ Right after I posted it occurred to me that it might require that small dongle to be plugged in to the front of the Osborn, and sure enough, that was it. Learn something new every day.

Maybe someone can answer the question about what kind of boot floppy should work? Should a Kaypro or Northstar floppy work or do I need one specifically for the Osborn?

Thanks,

Win

An Osborne will require its own version of CP/M. Which version of the disk images you will need will vary depending on if your Osborne ahs been upgraded to double density drives or not.

I would link you to imd images of the disks but they seem to be missing from bitsavers. Huh, well I know they are hosted elsewhere on the internet.

Good info everyone, thanks. It doesn't look like the Osborn plays easily with the Hxc, so it may be a bit of project to get one connected, but it should hopefully allow me to make some boot floppies and test the drives. Looks like I have single density drives.

Win

Osborne require their own format floppy to boot. Interestingly at the factory we used to boot off a file server. It was connected via a parallel cable on the IEE488 port.

A Gotek floppy emulator works fine in the Osborne once reprogrammed with the Flashfloppy software from Keir, that is how I first started my Osborne before fixing the floppy drives.

Back