• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TTL Flip chip book

Roland Huisman

Veteran Member
Is there a book with all the TTL flip chips documented with function and schematics? The 1969 logic handbook which I found has only block schematics and not the real schematics... And the book is also quite limited, newer UniBus boards are not in the book. The best year would be around 1973 I guess, but I don't know if there were books at that time any more.

Regards, Roland

Is there a book with all the TTL flip chips documented with function and schematics?

My website tries to do some of that. It has good coverage of PDP-8 related flip chips, I think, but is spotty for the PDP-11 stuff.

Jack talked to me about trying to publish the material as a giant PDF. I wrote some scripts, and even brought a few pages to some VCF shows, but there are just so many flip chips that the book was going to be over a thousand 11x22 sheets, and I wasn't motivated enough to follow through.

Vince

There's Don Lancaster's TTL Cookbook which is vastly outdated these days, but it has lots of good information on older (7400-741xx) TTL logic chips. They can be had for a few bucks used on eBay.

I second the Texas Instruments TTL Data Books, for years the electronic engineer’s semiconductor bible. The only issue is that DEC used a variety of manufacturers, notably Signetics, so you often need to search out the equivalents and sometimes the ‘equivalents’ differ a little parametrically.

Is there a book with all the TTL flip chips documented with function and schematics? The 1969 logic handbook which I found has only block schematics and not the real schematics... And the book is also quite limited, newer UniBus boards are not in the book. The best year would be around 1973 I guess, but I don't know if there were books at that time any more.

Regards, Roland

Here's my goto link for handbooks, but I don't think these have actual schematics either.

https://deramp.com/downloads/mfe_ar.../00 Digital Handbooks/Digital Logic Handbook/

CW

Hi Vince,
My website tries to do some of that. It has good coverage of PDP-8 related flip chips, I think, but is spotty for the PDP-11 stuff. Jack talked to me about trying to publish the material as a giant PDF. I wrote some scripts, and even brought a few pages to some VCF shows, but there are just so many flip chips that the book was going to be over a thousand 11x22 sheets, and I wasn't motivated enough to follow through.
Yes I know you have a lot of TTL flip chip info on your site. But a book for comparing circuits and having a bit more info on the boards would be great. I would like to add a few TC11 controller boards to the flip chip test

Hi CW
Here's my goto link for handbooks, but I don't think these have actual schematics either.
https://deramp.com/downloads/mfe_arc...ic%20Handbook/

Ah great! Thanks, that is what I was looking for. Newer boards are in the newer versions as well.

Regards, Roland

Jack talked to me about trying to publish the material as a giant PDF. I wrote some scripts, and even brought a few pages to some VCF shows, but there are just so many flip chips that the book was going to be over a thousand 11x22 sheets, and I wasn't motivated enough to follow through.
If you can reduce them to 11x17, I can run them off on my 50-sheet-a-minute double-sided laser printer and then bind them. I'd do this at cost, either producing them in bulk (for small values of "bulk" :D) for you, or on request from members here (and anywhere else you would post the offer).

P.S. I can also print in full color on heavy stock, so if someone wants to create a "DEC-ish" style cover I can put them on the books as well.

If you can reduce them to 11x17, I can run them off on my 50-sheet-a-minute double-sided laser printer and then bind them.

11x17 is probably what I meant to say.

It's been a couple of years now, so I should see what state I left those scripts in. I recall issues with the spotty data -- you'd go to collect the board photos and find some missing, some the wrong size, and so on. Not many of the Logic Handbook write-ups have been extracted, etc.

Vince

@ Terry - Normally, I'd say you're a glutton for punishment for taking on this task, but considering your alternative modes of relaxation, this seems like a walk in the park.

Back