• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Transfer (text) files between RSX-11M and host OS using simh

cbscpe

Experienced Member
Im running simh on macos and I'm looking for an easy way to exchange files, or at least text files between the RSX-11M I'm booting in simh and macos. How can this be done?

Can’t you just allocate a MacOS serial port (USB serial) to SIMH and configure this in your RSX environment as a TT device?

You should then be able to PIP files from A to B shouldn’t you?

I have a sub-contractor that is doing something similar from a SIMH host with RSX (admittedly running under Windows not MacOS) and a 286 MULTIBUS 1 physical machine.

We are also using our own packet switching communications sub-system on both machines.

Dave

For RT-11, I've had good luck using simh's emulated paper tape reader/punch for this -- attach files on host in simh, then copy to/from the paper tape device in RT-11. Does RSX-11M PIP also support these devices?

For RT-11, I've had good luck using simh's emulated paper tape reader/punch for this -- attach files on host in simh, then copy to/from the paper tape device in RT-11. Does RSX-11M PIP also support these devices?

This is also how I have handled copying text files.

It works, but it's far from perfect. The biggest issue is that you loose all newlines when using against RSX.
It has to do with the different ways text is handled in files compared to paper tape.

One other option is to have a disk - say an RL02. Create an RT-11 filesystem on it. Transfer files to and from that using available tools under Linux. Then mount the disk under RSX and use FLX to transfer files from the RT-11 filesystem to RSX native. FLX also knows how to do conversions in a good way in this case. But it does use the file extension to guess what format it should covert to/from.

Back