• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

EMM Caelus alignment pack

Roland Huisman

Veteran Member
I have this alignment pack new in box which looks pretty much like a RL01 or RL02 disk pack.
Were these alignment packs universal or brand specific? I've never heard about EMM Caelus.
I wonder if it is of any use when someone is servicing a RL01 or RL02 drive...

Regards, Roland

IMG_20210605_173230.jpg
IMG_20210605_173322.jpg
IMG_20210605_173316.jpg

RL01 and RL02 have embedded servo info on each surface. These are used for other drives that also used IBM 5440 style media like the CDC Hawk drive.

RL01 and RL02 have embedded servo info on each surface. These are used for other drives that also used IBM 5440 style media like the CDC Hawk drive.

I do have a recollection that there were alignment packs for the RL01 and RL02 as well. Yes, they have embedded servo info, but there was still a point in having the both heads aligned to hit the same track. Otherwise you end up doing a head movement, which might require a seek when switching heads. It works, but it might slow things down.

With that said, I have no idea if the packs shown here could be used on an RL01 or RL02.

Hi Al, I didn't see that website. An interesting overview. On the label is DYBIT, so that is the pattern obviously. I don't have any RL01/RL02 related stuff, so no experience whatsoever with these drives.

The only thing I knew is that RL0x packs are useless after a bulk erase because of wiping the servo tracks.

Now I wonder where this alignment pack was used for... Like Mattis says, there are more 5440 style drives...

Back