• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Roland's VC8E point plot PCBs (blank board)

thunter0512

Veteran Member
Is anyone interested in blank VC8E point plot PCBs redesigned by Roland Huisman to use only 74xx logic?
I am planning to get 5 of the M869R PCBs made. Roland has still 3 of the M885R boards left.

Best regards
Tom Hunter

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the private message - yes please!

I was talking to Roland - and it seems that we are both thinking along the same lines...

Yes, I am interested in a VC8E set as well. If you are going to get a batch made - then perhaps we could do a single shipment from Oz to the UK?

If you are going to JLCPCB - then the only options there are ENIG gold (or none) for plating the edge connectors. They don't do hard gold.

I was also thinking about getting the RX8E controller made as well (along with the RX01/RX02 emulator PCB).

I have also asked Vince if he has any 32K RAM boards left.

Do we need the 'above board' connector for the VC8E? Just a thought.

I will send you a separate PM Tom.

Dave

Hi Tom,

Yes, I am interested in getting a set of Roland's VC8E pcbs.
I'm located in Australia.

Leon.

Yes, please add me on the list for a VC8E board set. What display(s) are known to be compatible with it?

Yes, please add me on the list for a VC8E board set. What display(s) are known to be compatible with it?

Originally designed for the Tektronix 611 or the DEC VR14, but all XY monitors which I found can work with the VC8E. Even a simple old fashioned oscilloscope. But I'm very keen on the Tektronix storage monitors like the 605 for example. My 605 is on the Tek website displaying the VC8E test pattern. I have made a simple interface to connect a flat cable directly to the Tektronix or any other XY monitor trough BNC connectors. I'm not sure if Tom ordered these too. The files are on Github.

VC8E%20Tektronix%20XYZ%20interface%2001.jpg

VC8E%20Tektronix%20XYZ%20interface%2002.jpg

VC8E%20Tektronix%20XYZ%20interface%2003.jpg

I am also interested.

And I as well; both boards please. Thank you. And Roland even more so :-}.

I have this oddball probe-less "eddyscope" (Nortec NDC-60) that I picked up inexpensively on eBay several years ago that is actually two separate components, the upper one being a nice Tektronix 603 storage monitor (including a Tektronix face plate; just like this: https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/603 ). This is the application that I had in mind at the time ...

I've fiddled with it and all of the scope controls do what one would expect; I've not yet looked inside to check the construction and how I might modify the eddy-current testing part for more general application (and bring out X-Y-Z connections).

Hmmm - we are over-subscribed.

Roland had 4 spare M885R and I will have 4 spare M869R PCBs.

I can order the PCBs in multiples of 5.

The cost for 5 M869R PCBs is US$ 85.00 with ENIG-RoHS finish and "Gold Fingers" which means US$ 17.00 per board.

Roland proposed to send 4 of his spare M885R to me for the shipping cost of about US$ 29.00 which makes it US$ 7.25 per M885R. I will keep one which leaves 3.

I also have spare 3 of Roland's M847 blank PCBs in ENIG-RoHS finish and "Gold Fingers" I paid US$ 32.60 for 5 which means about US$ 7.00 for one.

Shipping of a 500 gram pre-paid satchel to the UK is about US$ 22.50, the US about US$ 18.00 and to Australia about US$ 7.50.

I and Roland have earlier promised one of each board to Dave so the following is left:

3 x M869R at US$ 17.00
2 x M885R at US$ 7.25
2 x M847 at US$ 7.00

These are all blank PCBs! Parts lists etc are available from Roland's Github site: https://github.com/Roland-Huisman?tab=repositories

Note that the VC8E board set (M869R + M885R) will need one M851 top connector.

Best regards
Tom Hunter

Hmmm - we are over-subscribed.

Well, last-in first-out would be proper etiquette ... so I'll look towards hand-wiring one on a suitable prototyping board. Which was my general initial plan. At least I have a proper storage scope at hand; possibly the greater half of the challenge since I certainly can't build one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144075836500 is sure cute! But it's not what we want here ...

Today I have received the second lot of blank PCBs from JLCPCB.
I am still waiting for Roland's M885R boards coming from the Netherlands before I can ship everything out to those who have ordered PCBs.

Best regards
Tom Hunter

Back