• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PDP-11/05 Configuration, can one review it please

Schroeder

Experienced Member
Hi,

this summer I will find the time to start fixing a PDP-11/05 as I have given up on my 11/44 for now.

The config is as follows for the three connected backplanes (backplane numbers will come when it is removed from the rack).
Is this a complete system or is it missing important cards?
Code:
A             B           C                D            E               F
1 M7260------------------------------------------- CPU #0
2 M7261------------------------------------------- CPU #1
3                                 M105-----M7821--
4 M9970--------
5 G235-------------------------------------------- MEM #0
6 H217C------------------------------------------- MEM #0
7 G114--------------------------------------------
8 M940---------M8293------------------------------
1 M940---------
5 G235-------------------------------------------- MEM #1
6 H217C------------------------------------------- MEM #1
7 G114--------------------------------------------
8 M940---------M8293------------------------------
1 M940---------
4 Terminator---

It has no other peripheral then the Console. Where can any peripheral card be installed?
If I finally get me a Unibone, where could that be placed?

Pictures of the system will follow time after time.

Thank you
Peter

Last edited:
Maybe you should start with the processor handbook and the Unibus handbook. That will give you the ground rules on how to configure the hardware, including things like the bus continuity, bus grants, termination, where to install peripherals, and so on...

Maybe you should start with the processor handbook and the Unibus handbook. That will give you the ground rules on how to configure the hardware, including things like the bus continuity, bus grants, termination, where to install peripherals, and so on...

RTFM, that i did. This is not my first Unibus system but this is one where I could not find any reference. So I thought I can missuse the expertise of this forum.

This looks like a PDP-11/05-S system. The backplane is special purpose. It is not the same as prevoius models of the 11/05 backplane referenced in the manuals mentioned above.

So don’t just plugin Unibus boards anywhere.

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/dec/pdp11/1105/1105S_Schem.pdf

Also check the other backplanes and check what type they are.

It seems like the second backplane is a memory backplane. Perhaps the last one is a plain DD11.

You have two 16kWord memory so you are at the limit already.

What could be useful is a mass-storage, papertape or secondary line-unit.

Slot three in the first backplane is missing a dual board which is the actual controller. There is just the address selector and interrupt board.

This looks like a PDP-11/05-S system. The backplane is special purpose. It is not the same as prevoius models of the 11/05 backplane referenced in the manuals mentioned above.

So don’t just plugin Unibus boards anywhere.

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/dec/pdp11/1105/1105S_Schem.pdf

Also check the other backplanes and check what type they are.

It seems like the second backplane is a memory backplane. Perhaps the last one is a plain DD11.

You have two 16kWord memory so you are at the limit already.

What could be useful is a mass-storage, papertape or secondary line-unit.

Slot three in the first backplane is missing a dual board which is the actual controller. There is just the address selector and interrupt board.

Hi Mattis!

great, thank you a lot! I have printed /05 manuals but could not find anything referencing this setup. I will go through the link you posted.
Maybe I can ask more questions when they arrive?

With best regards
Peter

When I compared my given setup with the docu from the 05S/10S I got even more confused. It says, if I understand it correctly, that the Address Selector and the Watchdog Timer is sitting in Slot5, A & B. In the schematics it is called KM-11. But I do have a M105 and a M7821. The M105 is the Address Selector while the M7821 is the Watchdog Timer. So, I was then thinking, why do they sit in the SPC slots E and F?
But, right, read the the f... manual. I apologize! The setup of my PDP-11/05 seems to be correct. It had the Address Selector and the Watchdog Timer correctly placed in E&F. I just had to look in the schematics for the M105 for example.
Anyway, so far I still have not found any reference to a system with this setup, no pictures, no nothing. The M105 is mentioned, the M7821 is mentioned but so far I could not find a reference showing them placed in E&F.
Maybe this explains why I thought the setup of my /05 is wrong.

Attaches is two pictures: One showing the M105 next to the C/D/E/F SPC Pinout and the other one is showing the setup I understood from the manual compared to what I have in my system. M105/M7821 instead of the KM-11.

btw. There was a Unibus terminator sitting in Slot3 which I missed in my initial posting.

Attachments

• photo61911.jpg
    photo61911.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 4
  • photo61912.jpg
    photo61912.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 4
I have a 11/05-S myself so feel free to ask questions. It is not right beside me exactly, but 100km away so next time I get there can check those specific questions you might have. The S was an upgrade where they replaced the BA11-D chassis with the more modern BA11-K and used a more modern memory system with higher density.

Here some great links:

http://gunkies.org/wiki/MM11-U_core_memory

http://gunkies.org/wiki/PDP-11/05

/Mattis

For reference the M7821 schematics clearly pointing to Slot F. And it says Interrupt Control not Watchdog Timer or similar.
And, there is no G727 in Slot D of this SPC.

Attachments

• photo61913.jpg
    photo61913.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 2
I have a 11/05-S myself so feel free to ask questions. It is not right beside me exactly, but 100km away so next time I get there can check those specific questions you might have. The S was an upgrade where they replaced the BA11-D chassis with the more modern BA11-K and used a more modern memory system with higher density.

Here some great links:

http://gunkies.org/wiki/MM11-U_core_memory

http://gunkies.org/wiki/PDP-11/05

/Mattis

Hi Mattis!

It was actually the picture from the gunkies link confusing me. It mentions KM11-1 and KM11-2 in slots A/B. My system does not have it, instead a M105 and M7821 in E&F.

Cheers
Peter

The M105 and M7821 are generic board used together with dual sized small peripheral. One upon a time they made them so. For example I have a M781 board which is a Dual punch controller. It has to go with a M105 to handle the address selection and the M7821 for Interrupt handling.

Later on they converted them to full quad sized modules that had all functions on them. In the case for the paper tape it is called M7810.

What you are missing is the dual sized small peripheral. Someone has pulled it once upon a time. If there are nothing in a SPC slot you should have a G727 board in there (knuckle-buster) or better yet a G7273 (http://gunkies.org/wiki/G7273_grant_continuity_card). The latter is great because you don't have to thing about the NPG chain which is a jwire-wrap-umper in the wiring in the backplane.

KM11 are optional things for maintenance only. A board with plenty of lamps and four switches. They can be used for single-stepping the CPU. The are generic as well. Different CPU (or controllers) have different overlays.

You backplane has three generic slots for SPC unibus peripherals, they are slots 3, 4 and 5. Rest of the slots are special purpose. Her you could put a M7800, SLU or M7810 or whatever you like. As far as I understand you should be able to put a hex board in there. But verify that the wiring in the A/B slots work with the hex board. I think they should since they mostly only used A/B for power.

The M105 and M7821 are generic board used together with dual sized small peripheral. One upon a time they made them so. For example I have a M781 board which is a Dual punch controller. It has to go with a M105 to handle the address selection and the M7821 for Interrupt handling.

Later on they converted them to full quad sized modules that had all functions on them. In the case for the paper tape it is called M7810.

What you are missing is the dual sized small peripheral. Someone has pulled it once upon a time. If there are nothing in a SPC slot you should have a G727 board in there (knuckle-buster) or better yet a G7273 (http://gunkies.org/wiki/G7273_grant_continuity_card). The latter is great because you don't have to thing about the NPG chain which is a jwire-wrap-umper in the wiring in the backplane.

KM11 are optional things for maintenance only. A board with plenty of lamps and four switches. They can be used for single-stepping the CPU. The are generic as well. Different CPU (or controllers) have different overlays.

You backplane has three generic slots for SPC unibus peripherals, they are slots 3, 4 and 5. Rest of the slots are special purpose. Her you could put a M7800, SLU or M7810 or whatever you like. As far as I understand you should be able to put a hex board in there. But verify that the wiring in the A/B slots work with the hex board. I think they should since they mostly only used A/B for power.

Wow, now I get it!

Back