• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Does anyone recognize this DEC backplane?

Text on the tag says "MTC01-04"; smaller label says "1B"

I looked for "mtc01" but didn't find anything.

Where do the switches on the left go -- are they margin switches for the power?

Looks to be of Negibus vintage, but who knows if it's even PDP-8. Could be PDP-15 or something.

I have a (similar sized small backplane) TC02 (or was it TC04?) backplane somewhere that basically was intended to write half inch magtape TD8E style, in a very inefficient format. (Basically, one word tape blocks.) Maybe this is something like that, but earlier?

I assume there aren't any surviving modules or markings on the other side.

Vince

My first thought for the switches is Margin switches for power. Wish I could provide more info. Vince gave about as good as I might have done.

That toggle switch on the pin side about 6 cards from the left is a pretty distinctive thing. It does look to use single sided connector blocks which probably makes it a negibus backplane. It doesn't look like anything in my Straight 8. Could it be a formatter for one of the drum units or maybe the DF-32 or RF08?

Here is where having all the documentation searchable would probably help.

Can you see anything printed on the circuit board itself, aside from the row labels? There may be some labelling on the connector side as well.

CW

With the four switches it looks very similar to the DEC A-D Converter backplane. The same backplane (obviously wired differently) seems to have been used in the PDP-9 LT09A, ME09 and other units.

Yes, an unwired backplane can be used for many different purposes depending on wiring. I think the OP want to know based on how this one is wired what it was for.

Yes I realise that. Vince's comment about being PDP-8 or PDP-15 - whether this backplane was used for them I can't answer, but was just pointing out that that backplane was definitely used for PDP-9 peripherals. I have the AD Converter (used for PDP-8 and PDP-9) and I checked the print sets I have for those other peripherals. 'MTC' sounds like it could be Magnetic Tape Controller.

I am sure DEC used that basic backplane for many systems. Why not. Saves $$ in design costs have separate ones for each. Still would be interesting to see what it was for. I don't ever remember seeing a switch on the wiring side like that on any backplanes I have seen.

Hmm. DEC used flipchips for pretty much everything, and so, the same basic backplane I expect was also used for everything.

Back