Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

DEC Computer Lab Workbook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DEC Computer Lab Workbook

I bought a book called Digital Computer Lab Workbook (see photo). Does anybody know about the piece of hardware shown on the cover? PDP-8's are pretty rare in Belgium, but I have never even seen this thing before.

As far as I understood from reading a few pages in the book, it should be mainly a patchpanel with a number of logic gates but with some extras like clock generators. I don't know what the switches at the bottom do.

Does anyone have the pdf version of the book btw? I know from previous experience that pages tend to get loose in these DEC-books when you open them too often. Apparently they aren't made to last 40 years

dec-clw-1.jpg

It is simply a "DEC Computer Lab". It was a tool to teach digital logic. In the background on the right is a PDP-8/s and in the background it looks like a PDP-6.

http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mo...ost_revisions/

I could not find a PDF of it
    Looking for: anything from SGI or DEC/digital
    Pictures of my collection: www.pdp8.se

Comment

H500 Computer Lab

Originally posted by BrunoD View Post
      I bought a book called Digital Computer Lab Workbook (see photo). Does anybody know about the piece of hardware shown on the cover? PDP-8's are pretty rare in Belgium, but I have never even seen this thing before.
      I believe that is called an H500 Computer Lab. I've got one . Here's a link to a description on the web: http://www.decodesystems.com/dec-clw.html

As far as I understood from reading a few pages in the book, it should be mainly a patchpanel with a number of logic gates but with some extras like clock generators. I don't know what the switches at the bottom do.
      The switches are just switches. They generate a "0" or "1" output depending on the orientation of the rocker switch. Three of them are momentary and generate timed pulses. There is a companion set of bulbs, which light when driven with a "1".

Does anyone have the pdf version of the book btw? I know from previous experience that pages tend to get loose in these DEC-books when you open them too often. Apparently they aren't made to last 40 years
      [ATTACH]5454[/ATTACH]
      I have PDF versions of both the Workbook and the Teacher's Guide, which is the companion volume for the instructor. Checking my email, I find that the Workbook PDF originated with B. Watzman, and IIRC the teacher's guide is a scan of A. Carder's Xerox copy.

What I'm missing is information about the patch cords -- how many of each color make a complete set? And of course, I'm also missing a bunch of the actual patch cords. (The brass taper pins to make new patch cords are not easy to find, either.)

Vince

Comment

Ah, so that's what this auction on ebay is (ends in a day and a half)- it's a DEC Computer Lab: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=140528692902

It's not mine, I saw it when looking for old DEC stuff on ebay and I added it to my list since it looked interesting.

Comment

Hi, I'm looking for the Workbook and the Teacher's guide, printed and/or as .pdf. Please contact me via pm. Greetings from Germany Thorsten

Comment

Hello folks...I am also looking for a PDF of the workbook, I acquired one of these H-500 labs and hope to interface it with an analog sequencer to control a modular synthesizer...it would be most helpful to get some tips from the workbook on setting up interesting Boolean operations. Any help would be most appreciated!

Comment

Just in case anyone's interested, I was able to get my H-500 set up as a binary counter (7-bit)...still working after over 40 years...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuNsK_IWC2I

Once again, if anyone has access to a PDF of the workbook, I would be most appreciative...I'm just scratching the surface with this thing due to my rudimentary knowledge of Boolean logic...

Comment

DEC Computer Lab Teache's guide

Hello,
                i'm looking after the DEC Computer Lab Teacher's guide in PDF.
                Can someone email me for it.
                Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ordins View Post
                  Hello,
                  i'm looking after the DEC Computer Lab Teacher's guide in PDF.
                  Can someone email me for it.
                  Thanks
                  Have a look here:
                  http://www.so-much-stuff.com/pdp8/pdf/

Vince

Comment

Hi all,

There is one of the DEC-H500 computer labs on ebay usa right now.

Much as I would love to get this, right now I simply cannot afford it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Digital.../141795969926?

What with the lousy us$ to aus$ exchange rate and the over the roof shipping costs, now that most goes air, rather than sea.

Comment

Mine...
                      http://imgur.com/a/99Z2M
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjLOeJsFyYQ
                      blog on restoration coming...
                      http://abitoutofplace.wordpress.com/

Comment

I have one of these - picked up at a Trash and Treasure at MIT when I was living and working in the USA (NH). I have relocated back to Australia, so am looking for details on the electronics (power supply etc) as I would like to refurb it to 250V50Hz instead of the 110V60Hz. Also don't have any of the jumper cables - does anyone have specs on the pins/connectors/cable gauges/lengths. ?

Comment

Originally posted by pquodling View Post
                          I have one of these - picked up at a Trash and Treasure at MIT when I was living and working in the USA (NH). I have relocated back to Australia, so am looking for details on the electronics (power supply etc) as I would like to refurb it to 250V50Hz instead of the 110V60Hz. Also don't have any of the jumper cables - does anyone have specs on the pins/connectors/cable gauges/lengths. ?
                          If you open the unit, the transformer has 2 sets of primary windings (at least mine had), just make them from parallel to serial and you can run it on 220V
                          I don't think the frequency is really an issue.

Comment

Has anyone found some affordable patch cables or just the plugs for these DEC H500 Computer Labs?
                            The original had taper pins, but I would much prefer banana plug style connectors with soft silicon rubber coated wires.
                            Does anyone know what cable lengths were supplied with the H500?

Thanks
                            Tom
                            Last edited by thunter0512; November 29, 2021, 07:36 AM.
                            WTB:
                            • TU56 tape drive and TD8E controller and cables for PDP-8/E.
                            • Working MM8EJ core memory board set for PDP-8/E.

Comment

Working...
                            X