Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

SCSI2SD help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool! I'll bop down to the store and grab a 2 or 4 gig SD card.

I got my two boards soldered together over the weekend and the firmware loaded this evening and everything appears to be good. The 100pnf QFP was a joy so solder... But other than that things went together well.

len

Originally posted by Matlock View Post
    I bought several cheap SanDisk 2GB microSD cards so I could quickly change disks to run different operating systems. I've also used 8 GB cards from several vendors with no problems, but I wanted several 2GB ones since the largest disks RSX11M+ can handle are around 2GB.

The I/O speeds I've seen under RSX with the Emulex UC07 is around 550 KBytes/sec which is close to the speeds of SCSI hard disks of that time. This is certainly faster than the RL02s and RK07s that I started on. Under RSX11M+, turning disk caching on if you have plenty of memory to save directory I/Os. Also, the RSX11M+ V4.6 virtual disks and virtual tapes to Files-11 disk image files is useful when you have a very large microSD based RA92.

Good Luck,
    Matlock
    Spread the joy of Vintage Addiction

-->www.chronworks.com/<--->www.i8008.net/<--

Comment

Originally posted by 8008guy View Post
      Cool! I'll bop down to the store and grab a 2 or 4 gig SD card.

I got my two boards soldered together over the weekend and the firmware loaded this evening and everything appears to be good. The 100pnf QFP was a joy so solder... But other than that things went together well.

len
      That's what I need to do too. Get a few smaller SD cards.

Comment

Hi, I've successfully used a SCSI2SD to emulate an RZ26L to boot OpenVMS 7.3 on a VAXstation 4000/90. However, when I try to install VMS 5.5-2H4 it doesn't work. Does any one have any suggestions as to why that might be? Thanks, Mark.

Comment

Originally posted by urbancamo View Post
          Hi, I've successfully used a SCSI2SD to emulate an RZ26L to boot OpenVMS 7.3 on a VAXstation 4000/90. However, when I try to install VMS 5.5-2H4 it doesn't work. Does any one have any suggestions as to why that might be? Thanks, Mark.
          Got my 8GB SD card and the micro-USB cable for power and config. Set up my first SD as the same
          size as an RA92. On another note the RA92 won't boot. It spins up fine, and the UDA50 shows normal.
          May be a cable issue so trying to figure it out. I may have a bad SDI cable.

Comment

Originally posted by tradde View Post
            Got my 8GB SD card and the micro-USB cable for power and config. Set up my first SD as the same
            size as an RA92. On another note the RA92 won't boot. It spins up fine, and the UDA50 shows normal.
            May be a cable issue so trying to figure it out. I may have a bad SDI cable.
            Well, I upgraded the firmware using the tool. That worked fine. Copied the RA92 image from
            Simh to my Linux box and used DD to write to the SCSI2SD. It attempts to boot, but gets
            and exception. The image still boots fine with Simh. So I am not sure what's wrong just yet.
            Last edited by tradde; November 3, 2014, 08:30 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Well, I upgraded the firmware using the tool. That worked fine. Copied the RA92 image from
              Simh to my Linux box and used DD to write to the SCSI2SD. It attempts to boot, but gets
              and exception. The image still boots fine with Simh. So I am not sure what's wrong just yet.
              This post did not show up from earlier. Sorry if it duplicates. I tried an obvious test.
              Copied my BSD 2.11 Simh disk file to the SCSI2SD and it boots fine. So now I am
              a loss of why RSTS tries to boot and then traps to 4.

Comment

RSTS/E has a 2gb size limitation on disk volumes.

With an 8gb SD card, you will need to use the controller firmware
                to partition the drive into at least 4 separately emulated drives.

More specifically, I seem to recall that
                the emulation had to be a few LBN's less than 2gb.

Comment

Originally posted by TiggerLAS View Post
                  RSTS/E has a 2gb size limitation on disk volumes.

With an 8gb SD card, you will need to use the controller firmware
                  to partition the drive into at least 4 separately emulated drives.

More specifically, I seem to recall that
                  the emulation had to be a few LBN's less than 2gb.
                  I originally set it up with the blocksize specified in the RA92 service
                  manual at 2,942,849. That should equate to 1.506GB (with block
                  at 512 bytes each), but that
                  failed also in the same manner. Yes, that would waste 3/4 of the
                  SD card. I didn't see anything smaller where I bought it. Did I
                  calculate this wrong or set it wrong? Since it doesn't even get
                  past the bootstrap it's hard to determine what fails.

Comment

I originally set it up with the blocksize specified in the RA92 service
                    manual at 2,942,849. That should equate to 1.506GB (with block
                    at 512 bytes each), but that
                    failed also in the same manner. Yes, that would waste 3/4 of the
                    SD card. I didn't see anything smaller where I bought it. Did I
                    calculate this wrong or set it wrong? Since it doesn't even get
                    past the bootstrap it's hard to determine what fails.
                    I think I see the error in my ways. I didn't read the last bit of the
                    SCSI2SD howto to correctly set the block size. I am trying something
                    that should work.

Comment

I think I see the error in my ways. I didn't read the last bit of the
                      SCSI2SD howto to correctly set the block size. I am trying something
                      that should work.
                      Well, that didn't work. I made the partition just under 2GB. I also did a chsum of
                      the original Simh file and the transferred to my Linux box. Matches so it copied
                      Ok and matches in size. Guess RSTS doesn't want to be run on my 11/84.
                      I could try overwriting my one 2GB SCSI drive, but I don't want to lose my
                      BSD disk. I have no other 50 pin SCSI drives that are small.

Comment

Well, that didn't work. I made the partition just under 2GB. I also did a chsum of
                        the original Simh file and the transferred to my Linux box. Matches so it copied
                        Ok and matches in size. Guess RSTS doesn't want to be run on my 11/84.
                        I could try overwriting my one 2GB SCSI drive, but I don't want to lose my
                        BSD disk. I have no other 50 pin SCSI drives that are small.
                        If you have other scratch SCSI drives you can use and the only issue is that they are too large in capacity, you can use sg3_utils ( http://sg.danny.cz/sg/sg3_utils.html ) to soft resize the drive capacity down to smaller limits. I have used that several times with some 9GB SCSI drives to use them with 2.11BSD and RSTS/E 10.1 with a CMD CQD-220/TM on my 11/73 systems.

Example:
                        sg_format --resize --count=2097152 pd1

I believe all this effectively does is change the value that is returned in a READ CAPACITY command. It doesn't actually reformat the drive.

-Glen

Comment

For real SCSI drives larger than 2gb, you can also use a SCSI Mode Page Editor,
                          to change the drive capacity that the drive reports to the controller/OS.

I have done this with some IBM drives, as well as some Barracudas.

When you say that you've already partitioned your logical drive below 2gb,
                          what does your controller do with the rest of the available space?

Let's say the controller creates DU0, with 2gb of space.
                          Does it automatically create a second emulated drive with 6gb of space?

If so, that could also cause RSTS/E to crash during boot,
                          as it has to enumerate and size all of the drives on the controller.

Comment

Originally posted by TiggerLAS View Post
                            For real SCSI drives larger than 2gb, you can also use a SCSI Mode Page Editor,
                            to change the drive capacity that the drive reports to the controller/OS.

I have done this with some IBM drives, as well as some Barracudas.

When you say that you've already partitioned your logical drive below 2gb,
                            what does your controller do with the rest of the available space?

Let's say the controller creates DU0, with 2gb of space.
                            Does it automatically create a second emulated drive with 6gb of space?

If so, that could also cause RSTS/E to crash during boot,
                            as it has to enumerate and size all of the drives on the controller.
                            I only told the SCSI2SD to only use ~2GB of the 8GB. I don't know what
                            happens to the rest. I am not even sure it shows up anywhere. When I boot
                            on Linux it shows up as /dev/sdd since I already have a /dev/sdc. Would the
                            bootstrap be smart enough to report an actual error if a partition was
                            too large? This is a "trap 4" error
                            that I get.

Comment

Have you tried taking it down even further -- down to 500MB, perhaps,
                              just to see if it gives you the same results ?

Comment

Originally posted by gslick View Post
                                If you have other scratch SCSI drives you can use and the only issue is that they are too large in capacity, you can use sg3_utils ( http://sg.danny.cz/sg/sg3_utils.html ) to soft resize the drive capacity down to smaller limits. I have used that several times with some 9GB SCSI drives to use them with 2.11BSD and RSTS/E 10.1 with a CMD CQD-220/TM on my 11/73 systems.

Example:
                                sg_format --resize --count=2097152 pd1

I believe all this effectively does is change the value that is returned in a READ CAPACITY command. It doesn't actually reformat the drive.

-Glen
                                Am I to understand that this will permanently (ie: survives power off) let me reduce the capacity reported by the drive? This would be _wonderful_! I have a bunch of scsi drives that are just too big to install RSTS on, even though my CQD220A lets me present one drive as four "volumes".

Comment

Working...
                                X