• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PDP-11/05 top and side panels drawing

1944GPW

Veteran Member
Recently I offered to draw up the missing panels for the slimline 11/05 that was on eBay recently. I also received a request from a forum member asking about the measurements so here they are, hope this is useful.
I could not find an exact match for a single-slot quarter-turn fastener of the right style (McMaster-Carr doesn't seem to have them) but there are some fairly similar from here http://www.southco.com/en-us/81-82-85 except they are cross-slotted.

PDP-11_05_top_side_panels.jpg PDP-11_05_panels.jpg PDP-11_05_panels_2.jpg PDP-11_05_panels_3.jpg PDP-11_05_panels_4.jpg

Steve.

Recently I offered to draw up the missing panels for the slimline 11/05 that was on eBay recently. I also received a request from a forum member asking about the measurements so here they are, hope this is useful.

Thank you for fulfilling my request Steve :->. Much appreciated!

[No, I don't have an 11/05, but this chassis was used for other purposes by DEC and I recently acquired (an incomplete) one for use as a 9-slot Unibus Expansion.]

Paul, no worries. Sorry it took longer than I thought it would. I'm wondering if your 9-slot chassis might be from an LPS-11? There was one on eBay recently, see http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEC-LPS11-L...1-Analog-Digital-I-O-Ultra-Rare-/291204838979 It appears to have an a different power supply compared to the 11/05.

No, not the LPS-11 (although I wouldn't mind playing with one :->); it was an ME11-L (see: DEC-11-HMELA-A-D in bitsavers) and the power supply is thus appropriate for core memory of that era (+5v 17A, -15v 5A). Fully populated it gets you 24K-words (in 8K-word chunks). The MM11-L designates a single 3-module 8K memory stack (so you could get one to start, add up to two later). You could also get a version that supported 2-bit parity. The ME11-L is listed in configurations for the 11/05, 11/10, 11/15, 11/20, 11/35, and 11/40. Even, surprisingly (to me anyway), in the 11/45. Versatile! Apparently a real workhorse for a while there. And you can see why the 11/05 chassis would have been the chassis to repurpose at the time :->.

The MF11-U seems to have been the follow-on core technology with greater density (16K stack) but slightly _slower_ performance (900 vs. 1000 ns cycle time; 400 vs 425 ns access time). Interestingly ... smaller/denser isn't also faster. It also uses different power supply rails, so a lot happened in the technology transition. Something to research further ...

-----
paul

Back