Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Build your own PDP 8I, Part 2..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All;

I have found a multitude of problems, Mostly wiring errors, about 5 or 6..
    But, the one that has caused my most head shaking, is that I bought 3 new 7489's and put them in, and one or more is Bad..
    I replaced all three of them, and it works better..
    I have not yet tried to put any programs in, or tried any of the switches, other than '0000..
    Which will be next.. and which may prove to find more mistakes, but for now I am Happy..

THANK YOU Marty

Comment

Originally posted by Marty View Post
      Hi All;

I have found a multitude of problems, Mostly wiring errors, about 5 or 6..
      But, the one that has caused my most head shaking, is that I bought 3 new 7489's and put them in, and one or more is Bad..
      I replaced all three of them, and it works better..
      I have not yet tried to put any programs in, or tried any of the switches, other than '0000..
      Which will be next.. and which may prove to find more mistakes, but for now I am Happy..

THANK YOU Marty
      You deserve it :->! Did you get those 7489s from a reputable supplier?

Comment

Hi All;

PBirkel, Yes, Which is what surprises me.. I bought them, at the same time I bought most of the IC's that I would need in 74LSxx , instead of 74(plain).. Thinking that was what was wrong, That I had some Bad Ic's in my 74xx's that I was using, and so new ones would eliminate that problem.. I also, rewired in the 74181 Sockets, from some old (think) trash sockets to new machine sockets..
        So, one of the wiring errors (problems) was a missing wire to one of the S(0-3) control signals.. Another couple was in the PC (Program Counter) circuitry that I had worked on months ago..
        So, now You are up to date on my progress..

I have been working on it, on and off for the last few weeks..

THANK YOU Marty

Comment

Hi All;

I got some things done this afternoon and night, I need to check the Accumulator and Ma and Mb and the Write Circuits for correctness..
          The last three bits of the Accumulator have a problem when doing a bit rotate, which just might be a bad Ic, but, I might just as well check everything affecting it..

THANK YOU Marty

Comment

Hi All;

I think I have found a few more mistakes, I need to do some more checking for sure..
            On the Accumulator, I replaced one of the Ic's, which seemed to be Bad (74194)..
            The MA Register is Stepping by itself, some of the time, also, when the left hand of the Board is flexed it can make the computer work and or cause the MA register to continuously increment it's contents..

THANK YOU Marty
            Last edited by Marty; September 15, 2015, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Hi All;

I have been thinking about making some changes to this circuit, there is a fairly great amount of changes, and at present, the way I have wired up the Capacitors, that they might be shorting to the pins around them, so I am for all these reasons and a few more.. I am going to draw up the new circuit and replace all of the 14 pin sockets with 16 pin sockets and the bottom two pins will be for the Capacitor..
              So, it will be like starting all over again..

Comment

Hi All;

I have been thinking about making some changes to this circuit, there is a fairly great amount of changes, and at present, the way I have wired up the Capacitors, that they might be shorting to the pins around them, so I am for all these reasons and a few more.. I am going to draw up the new circuit and replace all of the 14 pin sockets with 16 pin sockets and the bottom two pins will be for the Capacitor..
                :-<. But it might be a good point at which to take your "new circuit" and first verifying it by simulation before committing it to new-wires-and-sockets?

Comment

Hi All;

Way back in my youth, while earning my Boy Scout Woodcarving Merit Badge, I was taught the most common mistake a beginning whittler makes is taking too big a chip. In later years in Computer Science school we learned to divide a program or OS into manageable sections and debug them as separate pieces before combining them into a whole. I believe they called this "Top Down Design - Bottom Up Coding".

I hesitated to say anything before, because I didn't want to rain on your parade as you "boldly went where no man has gone before". But now that you've decided to reboot your project you might also want to rethink how you're going about it.

What I would do is break the design into subsections, then breadboard, test and debug each one before trying to put it all together. That's how the "big boys" originally did it and they had good reason to do so. Build up a generic "register" then test your ability to gate data into and out of it. Then expand that and model each of the specific PDP8 registers in the design. Do the same with the ALU. Then model the connecting busses. Test how data flows from one part to another under single step. Then build the clock and test how it does or does not control the rest of the circuit.

Smaller "chips". Smaller headaches. Localized and therefore easier to find and fix errors.

Just my $0.02 suggestion.
                  "It's all bits on the bus, Cowboy! It's all bits on the bus!" -- Tom Beck, #1ESS Instructor, Southern Bell Opa Locka Training Center

Comment

Hi All;

Way back in my youth, while earning my Boy Scout Woodcarving Merit Badge, I was taught the most common mistake a beginning whittler makes is taking too big a chip. In later years in Computer Science school we learned to divide a program or OS into manageable sections and debug them as separate pieces before combining them into a whole. I believe they called this "Top Down Design - Bottom Up Coding".

I hesitated to say anything before, because I didn't want to rain on your parade as you "boldly went where no man has gone before". But now that you've decided to reboot your project you might also want to rethink how you're going about it.

What I would do is break the design into subsections, then breadboard, test and debug each one before trying to put it all together. That's how the "big boys" originally did it and they had good reason to do so. Build up a generic "register" then test your ability to gate data into and out of it. Then expand that and model each of the specific PDP8 registers in the design. Do the same with the ALU. Then model the connecting busses. Test how data flows from one part to another under single step. Then build the clock and test how it does or does not control the rest of the circuit.

Smaller "chips". Smaller headaches. Localized and therefore easier to find and fix errors.

Just my $0.02 suggestion.
                    "It's all bits on the bus, Cowboy! It's all bits on the bus!" -- Tom Beck, #1ESS Instructor, Southern Bell Opa Locka Training Center

Comment

Hi All;

PBirkel, Thank You for You suggestion.. "" But it might be a good point at which to take your "new circuit" and first verifying it by simulation before committing it to new-wires-and-sockets? ""
                      I have for a long time tried to stay away from Simulation, because of the steep Learning Curve of getting it into my head and the computer..
                      As well as all of the typing and debugging of that just to get it right, for the Schematic.. I could be all Wrong, but it seemed easier to just wire it, than all that would be needed to get it done by getting it into simulation..
                      I have looked at what everyone has offered earlier, and I would need to figure out, exactly how to enter it in IC mode instead of gate mode, which I never got past..

DDS, Thank You for the reply and the suggestion, Actually, I have been kind of doing this already..
                      As the Schematic is divided into sections, that are parts of the whole thing, and I have been checking each section..
                      But, I can in some cases further divide the sections into smaller parts..
                      And since they are machine wire wrap sockets, I could only put in the Ic's that are needed for a particular circuit..
                      I can and did put a circuit or two on my Breadboard and made what didn't work, work.. Trying different things, until I proved it would work as the origional circuit was, or what was needed to make it work..
                      Mostly, the 'fixes' are having to do with Ic counts, in other words on the Alu there are five signals that control what the Alu does, and in each of these there are anywhere from three to maybe eight gate delays on any of the control signals, and so they all don't reach the Alu at the same time..
                      Most of these are things like having a 7402 followed by a 7404, which I can instead replace with a 7432, and eliminate the 7404.. Or a 7400 followed by a 7404, which I can replace by a 7408 and eliminate the 7404..
                      And so by doing this I can bring them all closer to the three gates of delay..
                      Also, I can replace the 74175 which is a 6 register part, so two are required, with a 74174, which has 4 registers per part, so it will require three of these for the 12 bits.. But by doing this I can in a number of places eliminate 12 (7404) inversion gates and have less loading on the 74174, than was on the 74175..

THANK YOU Marty
                      Last edited by Marty; September 16, 2015, 04:25 AM.

Comment

"Mostly, the 'fixes' are having to do with Ic counts, in other words on the Alu there are five signals that control what the Alu does, and in each of these there are anywhere from three to maybe eight gate delays on any of the control signals, and so they all don't reach the Alu at the same time.."

Seems like you're looking at two main possibilities. In all of the systems I've worked with gate delays were mostly made irrelevant by either the processor clock's gating of data and signal flows or by delay lines. Here I should point out that I've never worked with a PDP8. Things were sometimes done differently back at the dawn of time. Machines spoke in inscrutable tongues like FIELDATA and EBCDIC. But IMHO your ALU should be inhibited by the clock from doing anything with its inputs until such a time as all the inputs should be ready. If that's not happening you likely have a problem with the clock control of the ALU. IF the ALU is waiting until the correct time and one or more of your inputs are not yet ready, then you likely have a problem with whatever is supposed to be propagating that signal.

The key to debugging this would be the processor timing diagrams for the design you're building. Hopefully you have them, can make them, or can get them from somebody on here who can. You might be able to use the diagrams for the PDP8 that your clone is trying to mimic if your clone is close enough to the original hardware wise. Then it will be a matter of dragging out the scope or logic analyzer of your choice and nailing it down.

Comment

Hi All;

DDS, Thank You for Your answer, and suggestions..

""
                          Seems like you're looking at two main possibilities. In all of the systems I've worked with gate delays were mostly made irrelevant by either the processor clock's gating of data and signal flows or by delay lines. ""
                          I think that this is mostly true, but, I can't say in this case..
                          "" Here I should point out that I've never worked with a PDP8. Things were sometimes done differently back at the dawn of time. Machines spoke in inscrutable tongues like FIELDATA and EBCDIC.
                          ""But IMHO your ALU should be inhibited by the clock from doing anything with its inputs until such a time as all the inputs should be ready. ""
                          I can't say that it has this..
                          "" If that's not happening you likely have a problem with the clock control of the ALU. IF the ALU is waiting until the correct time and one or more of your inputs are not yet ready, then you likely have a problem with whatever is supposed to be propagating that signal. ""
                          That is what I hope to fix, this time around..
                          Remember that this Design is not a Do all, have all, But just enough to get it working.. As this probably, took a student all school Year to get it wired and up and running.. It was a teaching tool.. With the Professor, there to Help with any inherit problems, which I don't have..
                          "" The key to debugging this would be the processor timing diagrams for the design you're building. ""
                          They DON'T exist.. Nor can I say that there were ever any..
                          ""Hopefully you have them, can make them, or can get them from somebody on here who can. ""
                          ""You might be able to use the diagrams for the PDP8 that your clone is trying to mimic if your clone is close enough to the original hardware wise. Then it will be a matter of dragging out the scope or logic analyzer of your choice and nailing it down. ""
                          This is Not even close enough to any PDP 8, for it to be of any help..
                          Also, Remember, Early on I gave the link to get the files, which had been used to build this.. I think only a few people actually got them and looked at them.. And it contained a Classroom Manual, a wire list for Wire-Wrapping, and a Partial Schematic, the Schematic does Not have everything, that is included in the wire List.. I have had to draw up my own..
                          And Last, but not Least, much of it I do Not understand what is happening, what it is doing and/or how it all fits together..
                          One of the Reasons for doing what I am doing now, is when I would look at what was happening at (say) at Clock pulse one, it would not be the same from time to time, So by trying to align things up, I hope to eliminate that problem.. (Hopefully)..

THANK YOU Marty

Comment

Welcome back Marty.

I have also temporarily shelved my PDP8 for the time being (I had to do some work to pay the bills!)

I managed to get my simulation fully working (except for the single clock cycle switch). It runs the diagnostics perfectly - and it runs CHECKMO-II as well so I can play chess with it. Of course, in a software logic simulator it runs rather slooooooooooow... but it does prove that if I built it; it has a high probability of working.

I will post the latest version of my simulator again when I get a bit of time.

Can you remind me of the website where you obtained your base documentation from? If I get some (further) time whilst 'holed up' in a hotel I may have a look at what you have used to see if I can find some obvious fundamental problem with what I am seeing. It may help?

Dave

Comment

Hi All;

Dave, here is a copy of the files from PBirkel..

I have set up a folder with all LD12-related files in my possession at:

http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/brows...12%20PDP-8%2FI

I believe that at the moment you'll need to register in order to access that folder, but that's no worse than registering at VCF.
                              Yes, You need to register..
                              Thank You PBirkel..

THANK YOU Marty

Comment

Marty,

Once you get it working you can use the front panel from this project:
                                http://obsolescence.wix.com/obsolescence#!pidp-8/cbie
                                Member of the Rhode Island Computer Museum
                                http://www.ricomputermuseum.org

Comment

Working...
                                X