Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Build your own PDP 8I, Part 2..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Build your own PDP 8I, Part 2..

Hi All;

I am starting a new thread/posting for this long and winding road to hopefully eventual success..

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcfo...wn-PDP-8I-book

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcfo...8I-book/page19

THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;

I have tried to run programs from a Link that (I think) M-Thompson gave me..
    I have run the first of Group 1 instructions, and it fails one instruction -- BSW 7002..
    But it passes the following instructions -- CLA, CLL, CMA, CML, RAR, RAL, RTR, RTL, IAC and HLT..

THANK YOU Marty

Comment

That's a good thing, Marty! The 8/I didn't support this instruction, only 8/E and later. Probably wouldn't be hard to add it. At the moment, you do need this instruction to get my SerialDisk software working on an 8, but I'm guessing you're still a few months out from having two working serial ports. And congrats on the excellent progress! It's very inspirational. Maybe once you've debugged yours sufficiently, we can generate a known good schematic and do a board layout.

Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by Marty View Post
        But it passes the following instructions -- CLA, CLL, CMA, CML, RAR, RAL, RTR, RTL, IAC and HLT..
        Very cool!
        Member of the Rhode Island Computer Museum
        http://www.ricomputermuseum.org

Comment

Originally posted by antiquekid3 View Post
          At the moment, you do need this instruction to get my SerialDisk software working on an 8,
          Kyle, could replace the BSW with some non-8/e specific instructions so we could use it with the PDP-12 that we are working on?
          Member of the Rhode Island Computer Museum
          http://www.ricomputermuseum.org

Comment

Mmm - and maybe deal with ION/IOFF?? :>)
            After all, it's summer and you must have lots of free time.
            Jack
            www.computerarium.org

Comment

Hi All;
              Thank You, Jack for Your suggestion.. "" After all, it's summer and you must have lots of free time. ""
              Not as much as You might think, there are alot of Trailer Issues, that have come up since the flood, that just now are showing up.. And need fixing and constant attention..
              I Looks like the ISZ Instructions is working, I am waiting for the test to finish, to also evaluate the SZA instruction as well..
              It partially has ION/IOFF working, but there needs to be some wiring changes in that section, as well as numerous other stuff before I/O would work at all.. There would need to be another Socket added for the I/O signals that would be put on the Memory Board, turning it into a Memory/I-O Board..
              Kyle, Thank You for the very Kind words and information on the BSW instruction..
              "" but I'm guessing you're still a few months out from having two working serial ports. ""
              It shows how to wire up One Port, but NOT two Ports, it does give some hints, but nothing more..
              But, at present, even One Port would be of a Great Help..
              I am looking at the I/O circuit and trying to decide what I need to do and in what way I need to do it..
              I have just downloaded "Introduction to Programming" PDP 8 version.. And will be trying things out with it as a guide..
              I have speeded it up, I changed the 555 timer timing resistors from 100k to 10K and now to 1K, in comparison to before it is now flying..

Here are a couple of pictures..

001.jpg 002.jpg

THANK YOU Marty
              Last edited by Marty; May 29, 2015, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Hi All;

I looked at Kyle's program and found out I had made a copy Error.. I have Entered the Correct program into the computer, and it did not work.. Upon further inspection, I found that 'now' the CML Instruction does not work, I will need to investigate..
                It may need to have the OPGx Signal changed and or looked at.. While I am at it I will check CLL and CLA..
                I got it to work, but I really didn't do anything.. I took off the wire from the pin and used a wire jumper to check it on both OPG1. Hi and OPG1.LO, and it worked on OPG1.Hi, like it was previously wired or so I thought.. I re-wired it and it now works..
                I changed the program a little and now I need to find out Why SNL 7430 doesn't work.. Hopefully it is something simple..
                It maybe the ISZ instruction, so this will need more looking into on Monday.. I had made a Mod to it and now that I temporally undid the Mod then there are other problems..

THANK YOU Marty
                Last edited by Marty; May 30, 2015, 06:47 PM.

Comment

I have set up a folder with all LD12-related files in my possession at:

http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/brows...12%20PDP-8%2FI

I believe that at the moment you'll need to register in order to access that folder, but that's no worse than registering at VCF.

The N8VEM folks are micro-oriented, but wide-ranging. Possibly some folks here already know of them. If not, maybe you'd like to?

See overview at: http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/page/4200908/FrontPage

(Note that there's a lot more going on there than depicted in that one photo! Dig around some ...)

And ... congratulations on your steady progress Marty :->!

Comment

Hi All;
                    Thank You, Pbirkel for posting these online for others to have access to, and sharing these files with Everyone..

THANK YOU Marty

Comment

Hi All;
                      Thank You, Jack for Your suggestion.. "" After all, it's summer and you must have lots of free time. ""
                      Not as much as You might think, there are alot of Trailer Issues, that have come up since the flood, that just now are showing up.. And need fixing and constant attention..
                      I Looks like the ISZ Instructions is working, I am waiting for the test to finish, to also evaluate the SZA instruction as well..
                      It partially has ION/IOFF working, but there needs to be some wiring changes in that section, as well as numerous other stuff before I/O would work at all.. There would need to be another Socket added for the I/O signals that would be put on the Memory Board, turning it into a Memory/I-O Board..
                      Kyle, Thank You for the very Kind words and information on the BSW instruction..
                      "" but I'm guessing you're still a few months out from having two working serial ports. ""
                      It shows how to wire up One Port, but NOT two Ports, it does give some hints, but nothing more..
                      But, at present, even One Port would be of a Great Help..
                      Marty, I may be mistaken, but I think Jack was referring to my infinite amount of free time now that I'm off from school for the summer. Unfortunately, I've moved up to Baltimore for the summer and am working full time, which doesn't give me too much time for hobbies.

Originally posted by jackrubin View Post
                      Mmm - and maybe deal with ION/IOFF?? :>)
                      After all, it's summer and you must have lots of free time.
                      To add ION/IOFF support for SerialDisk? If so, does anyone really need support for that? I am having trouble thinking of a use case. During block transfers, the PDP-8 isn't doing anything but handling transfers, and with the speed of the computer SerialDisk is running on, it should never have any trouble keeping up, even at 230.4k baud, which, besides the Omni-USB board, is the fastest I've ever run SerialDisk at.

A few things that are in the works are a parallel version utilizing a DR8-E connected to a microcontroller, as well as getting SerialDisk ported to the DECmate series. Still figuring out the darned serial port there. I'll start a thread of SerialDisk discussion separately, though.

Michael, I will try to look into replacing BSW with a few RTR/RTL/RAR/RALs and such. I think I have enough room to do that now, even in the cramped system handler. Another thing in the works is modifying the non-system handler to support four RK05 images, versus the current two. That'll also require a few minor mods to the server, but again, those are quite minor and involve some copy-paste-modify.

Kyle

Comment

Hi All;
                        Thank You, Pbirkel for posting these online for others to have access to, and sharing these files with Everyone..

THANK YOU Marty
                        Well, don't thank me. They come from someone close to one of the book authors. I've been slow to post them because there has been minimal interest in them from folks here :-<. Anyway ...

My objective remains to move the wire-list(s) -- which I've been repeatedly assured *is* correct (one is simply the inverse of the other) -- to a PCB tool and eventually to fabricate a PCB as well as the exactly-corresponding schematic. Your difficulties using those wire-lists are quite worrying. I remain hopeful that when you have a working implementation your notes will be sufficient to identify where there may be errors in the source materials.

Note that Oscar V., over on the N8VEM forum, has expressed interest in putting together a front panel-derivative from his PiDP-8 project. That would be quite nice, but there are lots of questions to be answered first ...

Keep on wrapping ... (and, alas, unwrapping).

Comment

Hi All;
                          PBirkel, there ARE differences between the two lists, so far they are write in on the IntList versus the ExtList, but I have not had time to check everything between the two..
                          I will on Monday be checking to see if by eliminating one 7404 gate and changing one 7400 gate to a 7402 gate might make ISZ work..

THANK YOU Marty

Comment

Hi All;
                            PBirkel, there ARE differences between the two lists, so far they are write in on the IntList versus the ExtList, but I have not had time to check everything between the two..
                            THANK YOU Marty
                            Not asking you to but ... could you provide a specific example(s)? I'd like to verify it/them for myself. These line printer listings are not-so-clear, and thus may be subject to misinterpretation. Would like to see if there's an objective discrepancy, please.

Comment

Hi All;
                              PBirkel, No Problem.. I will List what I have of them Tomorrow, for You to Look at..
                              I think, but I don't know for sure, But, I think one is an Earlier listing and the other is a Later Listing..

THANK YOU Marty

Comment

Working...
                              X